Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/28/2009 1:03:57 PM EDT
Has anyone had any experience with these?

Both WeaponEvolution and DefenseReview have reviews pending, but I can't seem to find anyone on the internet who has actually used one.

Link Posted: 5/28/2009 1:25:32 PM EDT
[#1]
I haven't heard of anyone that has shot more than 200rnds with it, all had good results. But I would love to hear an independent review with a high round count. m4whore
Link Posted: 5/28/2009 9:37:03 PM EDT
[#3]
I"ve got two, one in by modded Bushmaster SHTF rifle, and one in my ongoing SPR/DMR build (which I haven't shot).

I ran the Bushy dry with the FZ for 200 rounds (which was all i could spare at the time ), and had only 1 jam, which was potentially mag-related.

The FZ BCG's are mil-spec, plus the coating.

While not a definitive evaluation, I would recommend it.

I don't normally run my rifles dry, but I wanted to do it for a test.

I like the idea that if absolutely necessary, I can run my SHTF rifle with less than abundant lubricant and not worry about reliability issues.

However, the "no lube required" I think is a tad suspect. I'd recommend some lube (just not the wet that a normal AR seems to like) when running the FZ BCG.

The thing that sold me on the FZ was taking a look at rifles I've stored in my safe and not shot for a while.

When stored upright (as in a safe), even lubes like CLP tend to run out or evaporate. Meaning, that in a SHTF situation, your go-to rifle may be dry.

I like the FZ for the assurance that while lubricant may be beneficial, it's not necessary to get the rifle operating in its defensive capabilities.
Link Posted: 5/28/2009 10:57:45 PM EDT
[#4]
It is nickel boron. It is made by UTC Defense.
UCT Defense was awarded an $850K program by USSOCOM to extend the life of MK48 Machine gun components. UCT Defense will be working with FN Manufacturing, LLC, the OEM of the MK48 machine gun.

Also in differentials in vehicles.
The US Army Research Lab awarded UCT Defense, LLC a $20M, 5 year IDIQ contract for extending the life of Army weapon systems through the use of UCT’s patented coating technology.

What is it?

TECHNOLOGY OVERVIEW

UCT Coatings' technology applies a nickel-boron (Ni-B) family of coatings to metal alloy surfaces. The properties of these coatings make them suitable for applications requiring high wear resistance, friction reduction, uniformity of dimensions on complex geometry, strong adhesion to substrates, and inherent solid lubrication. Corrosion inhibition is an added feature. Benefits include increased life cycle and decreased maintenance costs. The application process is non-line-of-sight, low temperature, industrially attractive, scalable, transferable, repeatable, and available now.

The surface finishing techniques developed by UCT Coatings utilize an autocatalytic deposition process by submersion of the part in a liquid bath. No specialized or hard-to-obtain equipment are required. The processing parameters and chemistry used by UCT Coatings are proprietary and patented, but available through UCT directly or one of its globally situated licensees. UCT Coatings processes are able to achieve optimized levels of boron, between 5-6 weight %, in the coating. This fact, combined with a much improved microstructure compared to other Ni-B coatings, sets UCT apart from its competitors, including all other Ni-B coating suppliers.

Plating of UCT coatings is not a line-of-sight technology, compared to many other plating technologies. All surfaces exposed to the plating bath are coated with an even thickness including inside and outside corners and blind holes, ensuring uniformity of properties on all surfaces. The rate of plating deposition is well-known (0.0008 in/hr, 20 microns/hr) and well-controlled, providing a high production throughput rate. The entire coating process can be scaled and automated as needed to accommodate most sized part. Post-plating processes may include a variety of surface finishing techniques. A low temperature precipitation hardening cycle (425-725 degrees F) transforms the as-plated amorphous nickel-boron plating to crystalline nickel boride (Ni3B) resulting in an increase in hardness from about 1000 Knoop to 1300 Knoop (25g, 10 sec dwell), respectively. The choice to use the coating in the amorphous or crystalline state is driven by the criteria of the application. Additions to the Ni3B coating can alter and enhance properties in severe and very demanding applications. The application development process, which is always performed in close collaboration between the customer and UCT engineers, defines the criteria for success and the specific plating process for a component.

Most metal alloy substrates can be coate with this technology. The following is a list of some alloy families that can be coated, representing the vast majority of important engineering alloys.

* Ferrous alloys
         o Carbon steel
         o High strength alloy steel
         o Cast iron
         o Stainless steel
   * Non-Ferrous alloys
         o Aluminum alloys (cast and wrought)
         o Copper alloys (brass and bronze)
         o Titanium alloys
         o Nickel alloys
   * Specialty alloys
         o Powdered metal alloys
         o Exotic alloys

Components coated with UCT Coatings surface finishing technologies can be stripped and re-coated to restore critical dimensions and functionality, saving components that are expensive and/or difficult to fabricate.  Similarly, designs that incorporate other coatings can usually be stripped of those coatings and UCT Coatings Ni-B surface finishing applied to boost performance.

Expensive base metal alloys that exhibited desirable surface properties through their thickness are currently in wide use.  In this age of weight and price reduction it is advantageous to develop localized properties. Why put expensive properties where they are not needed?  UCT coatings provide the properties needed in the areas they are needed.  In many cases this value-added benefit allows OEMs to choose lighter and/or cheaper base alloys while retaining or enhancing surface performance characteristics.
Applications
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 12:42:11 PM EDT
[#6]
I witnessed UCT's demonstration of a titanium-boron treated M16A1 at the 2004 or 2005 Infantry Conference on Parks Range, Fort Benning, Georgia.

Advertised as a "No lubrication required" "Greaseless technology" coating process the weapon failed miserably and would not function more than three or four rounds between stoppages.  I was embarrassed for them as the weapon should not have been their premier demonstration platform.

The US Army Marksmanship Unit had the bores of a few match barrels treated as it was advertised to be better than chrome lining for wear and corrosion resistance with no loss of accuracy.  One of my gunsmiths in whom I have the ultimate in confidence stated these barrels "Shot like ass."
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top