Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/26/2009 4:07:35 PM EDT
and I think I like it better then myAimpoint M3. I brought my Bushmaster carbine with the 517 and my RRA middy with the M3. I sighted the M3 a while ago but brought it anyway just to put a few rounds through it. My Bushy is kinda my beater rifle. I shoot it the most cause it will eat whatever I feed it. My RRA is more of my SHTF rig. I am seriously thinking of swapping the optics from one to the other. What do you guys think?
Link Posted: 5/26/2009 4:55:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Keep the Aimpoint, variety is a good thing

A few years ago I decided I didn't like 1X optics anymore, so I sold off my EOTech, Aimpoint M2 and ML2.  I had a change of heart since then, and now have two M2s, a Micro T1, and two EOTech 553s.  I still like my ACOGs better, but my beloved 4x32 ACOGs aren't so great on non-AR platforms like HK and M1A.
Link Posted: 5/26/2009 5:44:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

and I think I like it better then my Aimpoint M3. I brought my Bushmaster carbine with the 517 and my RRA middy with the M3. I sighted the M3 a while ago but brought it anyway just to put a few rounds through it. My Bushy is kinda my beater rifle. I shoot it the most cause it will eat whatever I feed it. My RRA is more of my SHTF rig. I am seriously thinking of swapping the optics from one to the other. What do you guys think?

My 2¢ . . .

1) Rebarrel both of your guns with 1/7 barrels in a gov't profile.
2) Keep the EOTech 517 on the RRA, and get another one for the BM.
3) Get a Spike's Tactical 22LR M4 upper and mount the Aimpoint M3 on it.
Link Posted: 5/26/2009 5:49:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:

and I think I like it better then my Aimpoint M3. I brought my Bushmaster carbine with the 517 and my RRA middy with the M3. I sighted the M3 a while ago but brought it anyway just to put a few rounds through it. My Bushy is kinda my beater rifle. I shoot it the most cause it will eat whatever I feed it. My RRA is more of my SHTF rig. I am seriously thinking of swapping the optics from one to the other. What do you guys think?

My 2¢ . . .

Why would I rebarrel my rifles?
Not a bad idea to get a .22 upper.........

Link Posted: 5/26/2009 6:19:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Both of them are 1/9 twist, right?  What profile are they?  I imagine that the RRA is a heavy profile, and if so, it must weigh a ton.  Does the RRA have a chrome-lined bore?

You should have chrome-lined barrels, with 1/7 or 1/8 twist on all of your rifles.  For a fighting gun, you need a lighter profile to keep weight down and to enhance its handling characteristics.

Indeed.  I have one, and it's been one of the best investments I've ever made.  I can get Federal's excellent Lightning ammo from Wal-Mart for $14.70/500 (plus tax).
Link Posted: 5/26/2009 6:55:37 PM EDT
[#5]
I wouldn't dispute Shaken's advice, but as long as you're not shooting heavy bullets, the 1:9 twist is okay. I have both - 1:7 on my 6920 and 1:9 on my RRA ET, and I often think the RRA is more accurate with 55 grainers than the Colt. Now, for heavy bullets, the Colt's 1:7 should stabilize better, but I don't shoot the heavy stuff. If no heavy bullets, no need to change tubes, unless the weight of the  20-incher is an issue.

Just my silly-assed opinion ...

Link Posted: 5/26/2009 7:05:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My 2¢ . . .

Because the chart says so?

Link Posted: 5/26/2009 7:11:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I wouldn't dispute Shaken's advice, but as long as you're not shooting heavy bullets, the 1:9 twist is okay. I have both - 1:7 on my 6920 and 1:9 on my RRA ET, and I often think the RRA is more accurate with 55 grainers than the Colt. Now, for heavy bullets, the Colt's 1:7 should stabilize better, but I don't shoot the heavy stuff. If no heavy bullets, no need to change tubes, unless the weight of the  20-incher is an issue.

Just my silly-assed opinion ...

I shoot 55-62gr from my 1:9 twist barrels without a problem. The heavy stuff(75gr) gets shot from my 1:7 Noveske barreled SPR. The weight of my carbine and middy is not really an issue. I just wanted your guys opinion on using the 517 on my SHTF rifle instead of the M3.
Link Posted: 5/26/2009 7:12:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Because the chart says so?

What chart?  I like shooting 77gr SMK's.  I load them for my CMP service rifle, and would prefer that I could use them in all of my rifles.  Unfortunately, I bought some of them before 1/7 barrels (and heavier bullets) became prevalent.
Link Posted: 5/26/2009 7:27:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Get back to us in a year, when the battery on your M3 is still going strong despite being left on the entire time and your 517 shuts off every few hours on its own.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:39:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Haters.  I love my 517 as well, I'm about to add a magnifier.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 8:37:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Get back to us in a year, when the battery on your M3 is still going strong despite being left on the entire time and your 517 shuts off every few hours on its own.

The aimpoint comes with its problems too.  Battery life is a small price to pay for all the eotech excels.  I've broken my eotech and aimpoint each a few times.  The aimpoint has a glued in LED that can break off and it also has small wires that like to fuck up.  Also if your glass breaks on the aimpoint, you're fucked.

The eotechs electronics are incased in epoxy-like stuff.  I broke the glass in my 512, but it still works great.  I do wish there wasn't an auto-off feature, because with rechargeable batteries I could leave it on and switch out the batteries every month.

I've had all those problems with the aimpoint.  The eotech I've been through a ton of hoods and a broken battery compartment.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 8:39:40 PM EDT
[#12]
I got a 512, I just plain like EOTech, I like the reticle better. To each his own. Aimpoint and EOTech are both great optics and combat proven.

Quoted:

The Aimpoint fanboys always like to harp on the battery issue. EO shuts off every 4 or 8 hours to conserve battery life, and while I understand that the Aimpoint has a longer battery life, it's not a big enough difference to really put me off. I don't mind the shorter battery life simply because I just like the optic better, and if I do need a new set of batteries AAs are really not that difficult to come by.

YMMV
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 8:47:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I got a 512, I just plain like EOTech, I like the reticle better. To each his own. Aimpoint and EOTech are both great optics and combat proven.

Quoted:

The Aimpoint fanboys always like to harp on the battery issue. EO shuts off every 4 or 8 hours to conserve battery life, and while I understand that the Aimpoint has a longer battery life, it's not a big enough difference to really put me off. I don't mind the shorter battery life simply because I just like the optic better, and if I do need a new set of batteries AAs are really not that difficult to come by.

YMMV

People don't like the possibility of their sight dieing on them in a SHTF situation.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 8:59:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

YMMV

People don't like the possibility of their sight dieing on them in a SHTF situation.

I understand that, but people act like the EO dies after an hour of use. Using lithium batteries you get 1,000 hrs. of continuous use. In a SHTF situation, my EO will get a fresh set of Energizer e2s, and I have plenty in storage. No to mention that my rifle has BUIS for a reason.

Both optics have their pros and cons, like previously mentioned, Aimpoint glass gets smashed and the optic is useless, EOTech would still work. That's also pretty important in a SHTF situation.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top