Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/2/2009 4:56:12 PM EDT
I'm building my first AR. I want to spend less than $60 on a stock but I'm not sure if I should go for standard or collapsible stock.

I plan on plinking and shooting varmints.

I like how the collapsibles look but I'm worried that they'll be flimsy.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 5:09:27 PM EDT
[#1]
I'll sell you a M4 type 6 position with tube for $40. PM me.
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 5:46:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Collapsible stocks are not flimsy...especially if all you're doing is plinking.
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 5:47:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 7:10:20 AM EDT
[#4]
I like being able to adjust the LOP (length of pull) for the amount of clothing i am wearing. ––––  Shorten it if you are wearing a parka and web gear,  lengthen it if it is a summer day at the range in your T-shirt.     I like the solid feel of a fixed stock on a heavy target rifle,  but "flimsiness" is not really an issue on the short barreled carbines i prefer to shoot most of the time
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 7:21:25 AM EDT
[#5]
PKs sells a complete A2 buttstock kit for $65 or a collapsible stock kit for $75, both kits include buffer spring, buffer assembly, tube (receiver extension), and all other installation hardware.  Both types are good, it really comes down to preference and/or intended use.

The standard collapsible stocks all have a little play (wiggle) in them, but they are not flimsy.  You can go with an upgarded aftermarket like a Magpul CTR if the wiggle bothers you, but they will cost more.
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 7:36:09 AM EDT
[#6]
I have been shooting for over 40 years. Like many I have learned a few lessons along the way.

1) Don't buy a part based on price. Buy what will do the job and what you want. You can always find a few more bucks in your pocket. Skip that next Coke, quit smoking, whatever.

2) Both stocks have their advantages. Personally I have both, actually three or four arrangements depending on which rifle I am using. Pick which ever stock works for you now, you can always add the other to your collection later. If the bug bits you will be adding more pieces to your inventory. Deal with that fact. If the bug doesn't bite you will just be selling it and it won't matter anyway.

3) The fixed A2 stock is good for most shooting. I have my choice of what to use and the A2 ends up being #1 choice most of the time. Carbines look cool, nice and compact, but the A2 works best for most real world situations.

4) Others will have their own opinions and I won't disagree with them. Nice thing about these rifles is you can make them what you want. Change your mind, just change some parts.
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 8:52:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Duplicate post - see Quibs link to other thread.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top