Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/1/2009 5:31:59 PM EDT
First of all, I can understand if no one wants to answer this question, or if the moderators want to remove it.

I would like to purchase a few airsoft stocks for research purposes.  Why airsoft you might ask?  the reason for airsoft would be cost.  I would be able to purchase nearly every airsoft stock I would like to try for less than the cost of one real item.  This would give me the opportunity to run each stock style for a little while before investing in the authentic stock.  So the question:

Has anyone used airsoft stocks on their real rifles?  If so, do these items typically fit a commercial or mil spec buffer tube?

Thanks

Link Posted: 5/1/2009 5:33:11 PM EDT
[#1]
nope never tried, go for it though could be interesting. try some airsoft vert grip ripoffs too lol
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 5:37:15 PM EDT
[#2]
It's the general consensus that using airsoft-grade parts including stocks is a very bad idea. They aren't made to handle the recoil of an actual firearm and considering the fact that the stock makes almost continuous contact with your body, running a sub-par piece of equipment could end in serious injury.

However, if you're looking to see how they would work on your rifle, go for it. I completely agree that a lot of the stocks are overpriced. I just wouldn't go so far as to actually use on my rifle. YMMV of course.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 5:55:44 PM EDT
[#3]
I understand that the quality and durabilty are not going to be nearly the same.  The stocks would be used mainly to check the handling and ergonomic qualities of each stock.  If I did do any shooting with them, it would only be to inspect cheekweld and mounting issues in a limited shooting session.  I would not run these items hard or trust them in any life or death situation.

Wouldn't the buffer tube handle all of the lite recoil that the 5.56 can dishout?  I have been scope kissed by a rifle in 300 Weatherby, so I am not worried about being hit by the rifle if the stock breaks during recoil.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 5:59:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Here's an Idea. Handle and examine real deal stuff at a gunshow (of course be on the lookout for airsoft products there too). The entrance fee is much less than what it would cost for you to "research" on airsoft products, not to mention the obvious differences in quality, fit, and finish.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 6:07:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Just pick a real one and be done with it.

There isn't a big difference in stocks. They all work.

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top