Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/30/2009 3:47:15 PM EDT
Any one built one? I was wondering if it would be reasonable to build a CQB / SBR in .308. I'd like to see some pics and reasons to or not to build one.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 3:59:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 4:05:17 PM EDT
[#2]
What about penetration?  Wouldn't every hit be a multiple?
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 4:34:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
What about penetration?  Wouldn't every hit be a multiple?

Yes, which is why it's not a good choice. You don't want rounds going through people, since they still have enough energy to harm others.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 4:44:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Making it the best go to gun for the anti-humanitarian?
I was just thinking I want some thing with more knock down and penetration but I don't want to special order ammo either. I like to be able to buy ammo cheap and in bulk.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 4:44:30 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm guessing there aren't many of them,
due to all the reasons everyone else talked about.

for true cqb, I'd want a S/A 12ga.

Though if you build one, I'd like to see it!
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 4:46:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted: I like to be able to buy ammo cheap and in bulk.

Pretty sure there aren't any good calibers out there for you then.

I would stick with 5.56 for indoor work, or maybe 6.8 spc for something a little bigger.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 8:17:08 AM EDT
[#7]
I have never used any FAL or HK so a AR in .308 as opposed to those would be preferred just because of the familiarity. But what about weight? other pros or cons? Does anyone have a chart that shows the weights and other specs of the three?
The bulk ammo in .308 is relatively cheap 50c per round was the best I was able to find where as $1 per round was the best I could find for 6.8. Aside from ammo cost, availability is something I think about before buying.

However price of the gun itself will pose the final determining factor.
Which pretty much knocks out the HK, but the FAL or Vector (which I assume is just a HK clone?) and the AR (DPMS is really the only one I see making them?)
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 8:47:26 AM EDT
[#8]
If you really want to do CQB in a .308 you should look at a Springfield Socom16.  I love mine.  A 16" barrel with .308 is louder than hell though.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 8:49:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 8:56:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Quoted:
..I like to be able to buy ammo cheap and in bulk.
Then you're limited to .22LR these days.

I here that !!

Man its crazy out there.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 8:59:55 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Quoted:
..I like to be able to buy ammo cheap and in bulk.
Then you're limited to .22LR these days.

Good luck finding .22LR ammo ....

- BORG

Link Posted: 5/1/2009 9:06:11 AM EDT
[#13]
I seen a carbine in 308  
the guy was shooting full auto
look like he had good controll , it had a can on it !    Didnt jump as much as I thought it would.

I forget the company name

but the carbine  also comes with a extra upper for longer range
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 9:09:17 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 11:16:42 AM EDT
[#15]

This is what I have been looking for, Thank You.
Was gettin sick of the HK (and variants) lol
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 12:48:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
The bulk ammo in .308 is relatively cheap 50c per round was the best I was able to find where as $1 per round was the best I could find for 6.8. Aside from ammo cost, availability is something I think about before buying.

7.62 ammo = $.50 a round
6.8 ammo = $1 a round
Funeral costs for a dead team member killed by a through and through = $10k
Not having a through and through kill another member of your team = priceless.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 12:54:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
7.62 ammo = $.50 a round
6.8 ammo = $1 a round
Funeral costs for a dead team member killed by a through and through = $10k
Not having a through and through kill another member of your team = priceless.

What type of team would be shooting at someone with a fellow member behind the target? Don't put yourself in a crossfire situation and this shouldn't be an issue.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 1:05:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Not an AR platform but looks interesting.  I hope KelTec is able to produce a good number of them.  An interesting concept.

KelTec RFB
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 1:10:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Not an AR platform but looks interesting.  I hope KelTec is able to produce a good number of them.  An interesting concept.

KelTec RFB

That does look cool as hell but I would think the muzzle blast would be horrid being that close to the face and that ejection system seems to be asking for a jam, though I can't see whats under there.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 2:12:14 PM EDT
[#20]
They have an excellent cutaway video which shows the operation.  I'm not sold on the ejection either, time will tell.

KelTec RFB Cutaway
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 2:49:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
They have an excellent cutaway video which shows the operation.  I'm not sold on the ejection either, time will tell.

KelTec RFB Cutaway

Here we go again.  (Digs up old reply to imaginary ejection issue)

What I'm going to call the "ejection chute" appears to have a pinch at the start that flexes as the spent casing is forced past it.

Here are some pics in order of how it seems to work.

Also this is apparently one of the prototypes and the design may be a bit more refined.  As is in the vid (and these stills from the vid) it seems sound.  Simple and effective.

Link Posted: 5/1/2009 3:06:44 PM EDT
[#22]
I'm not criticizing the ejection process per se; it's the chute and stacking of empties behind each other that's the area of question.  

And the question as to whether or not a close quarters .308 was plausible or necessary seems to have found an audience.  It appears George Kelgren believes there is a market for such a gun (and an SBR version may exist).  Whether it finds it's way into operators' hands seems unlikely to me.  But I never thought a BMG needed to be a CQ weapon but someone got Barrett to build that too.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 3:22:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

KelTec RFB

There's some wicked recoil on that thing. Looks like more than a FAL or even a G3.
Maybe is just the old dude, the younger guy is managing it better. But not much.

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top