Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/29/2009 9:29:13 PM EDT
1) Carbines with heavy barrels

2)  "ground breaking" gas piston modifications to a rifle that was design to get away from the common gas piston design

3) 7 Picatini rails on a rifle

4) Rifles chambered for the powerful .308 round, then velocity (and accuracy) nerfed with a 16" barrel (Well, I kind of get that one actually)

5) 14.5 " barrels with pinned on adders that give you that extra barrel length for 16", with no velocity gain.  

6) Carbines that weigh over 8 lbs.

7) The little rubber cap things with a pull loop that people put on the bottom of their magazines (seriously, what do these do? I've got to have missed something)

8) Dozens of different flash hider designs.  (Does the bird cage not work?)

9) 1/7 twist rate (which is needed only for 80 gr match bullets or tracers) in a 16" barrel.

10) Throwing your AR down the driveway to give it that worn-in look (and bump firing underwater).  
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 9:31:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

2)  "ground breaking" gas piston modifications to a rifle that was design to get away from the common gas piston design

4) Rifles chambered for the powerful .308 round, then velocity (and accuracy) nerfed with a 16" barrel (Well, I kind of get that one actually)

5) 14.5 " barrels with pinned on adders that give you that extra barrel length for 16", with no velocity gain.  

7) The little rubber cap things with a pull loop that people put on the bottom of their magazines (seriously, what do these do? I've got to have missed something)

9) 1/7 twist rate (which is needed only for 80 gr match bullets or tracers) in a 16" barrel.

10) Throwing your AR down the driveway to give it that worn-in look (and bump firing underwater).  

THIS! hahaha I seriously have NO IDEA why someone would want a setup like this- it makes absolutely ZERO sense.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 9:34:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
The little rubber cap things with a pull loop that people put on the bottom of their magazines (seriously, what do these do? I've got to have missed something)

Those are to get the mag out of a mag pouch easily. People have been making "magpuls" for years with paracord.

Link Posted: 4/29/2009 9:38:16 PM EDT
[#3]
1 and 6... sure

10 was an isolated incident.

the rest... go back to your bench shooting.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 9:50:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
1 and 6... sure

This.

Except 6.  The poor M4 becomes a fatass when we add flashlights, PEQ2, ACOGs etc.  Necessities for the most part in combat.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 9:53:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Because velocity makes no difference when the most common combat ranges are 50 yds and under 90+ % of the time.Pinned is still 2 " shorter than 16" with removable flash hider.Phantom is superior because it actualy hides flash.Hbars arent a problem as a matter of fact the Socom barrels that Socom use are 8 oz heavier than standard and 6oz lighter than HBAR so aparently the real door kickers like a heavier than standard weight barrel to take FA abuse and heat.

Soldiers carriy carbines at 8 lbs or over after accessories for the mission add a 203 and its probably like 10 or 11 lbs.I use paracord and tape for a magpul but basicaly you can get the mag out faster when this is used and the mag carreid upside down or magpul up in the pouch.I use papracoed because I dont believe in wasting money on those things when you can do like soldiers and improvise for the cheapest way out but just as strong and usefull.1/7 actualy gives a little more velocity im sure its neglidgeable but I want a barrel that can use and bullet weight 50 gr to 80 gr.

I dont throw my rifles down the driveway but there not safe queens and do get used alot especially when I take a class.The birdcage works just not as well if you want true flash supression.I dont use gas pistons as I think DI is fine if you know how to keep it running in different environments and weather...maybe it has more relevance for desert use but DI if properly maintained should work fine.I only use 4 picatiny rails and a flat top just like the service of those I use the flat top bottom handguard rail and left side rail..foregrip and rail mounted side sling swivel so 2 to 3 rails at any given time.

Link Posted: 4/29/2009 9:56:31 PM EDT
[#6]
I just don't get why people give a shit what others choose to do.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 10:32:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Because velocity makes no difference when the most common combat ranges are 50 yds and under 90+ % of the time.Pinned is still 2 " shorter than 16" with removable flash hider.Phantom is superior because it actualy hides flash.Hbars arent a problem as a matter of fact the Socom barrels that Socom use are 8 oz heavier than standard and 6oz lighter than HBAR so aparently the real door kickers like a heavier than standard weight barrel to take FA abuse and heat.

Soldiers carriy carbines at 8 lbs or over after accessories for the mission add a 203 and its probably like 10 or 11 lbs.I use paracord and tape for a magpul but basicaly you can get the mag out faster when this is used and the mag carreid upside down or magpul up in the pouch.I use papracoed because I dont believe in wasting money on those things when you can do like soldiers and improvise for the cheapest way out but just as strong and usefull.1/7 actualy gives a little more velocity im sure its neglidgeable but I want a barrel that can use and bullet weight 50 gr to 80 gr.

I dont throw my rifles down the driveway but there not safe queens and do get used alot especially when I take a class.The birdcage works just not as well if you want true flash supression.I dont use gas pistons as I think DI is fine if you know how to keep it running in different environments and weather...maybe it has more relevance for desert use but DI if properly maintained should work fine.I only use 4 picatiny rails and a flat top just like the service of those I use the flat top bottom handguard rail and left side rail..foregrip and rail mounted side sling swivel so 2 to 3 rails at any given time.

&
Quoted:
I just don't get why people give a shit what others choose to do.

I just don't have any thing else to add.

Link Posted: 4/29/2009 10:44:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Some people shoot a lot and like the thicker barrel.  Some people actually have full auto/burst fire rifles. They might prefer the heavy barrel.

It's cleaner and supposedly more reliable than the direct impingement.  Sometimes the tried and true is better.  I've no opinion on this either way though.

Flashlight and vertical foregrip.  Maybe a laser, maybe.  And for those with money, a infrared light/laser to use with thier night vision goggles.

Accuracy isn't nerfed.  And It's still a .308.  All that's really reduced is range, and for the past few decades urban fighting has been the norm.  Almost everyplace on earth is some sort of urban setting now.

Personal preference.  A 14.5 with a permanently attached flash hider is still shorter than a 16in barrel with a normal flash hider.  Some people like having their rifles 2+ inches shorter.

They help to pull mags from mag pouches faster.  They were created by Magpul (get the name?) because of the people using paracord or 90mph tape to create loops to do the same thing. I first heard about doing this aobut 20 years or more ago.

Some designes work better. Some work better and look cooler. Some are also muzzle breaks.  I like the way my Phantom performs and looks.  Better in both ways than the "birdcage."

It's also needed for the 70, 75, and 77 grain bullets as they are long enough to need that faster twist rate.  Some people get lucky and their barrel likes the 70 gr bullets, but most don't.  With the 1/7 you can still use the lighter 60ish grain bullets, and the 55 gr.  Some won't like hte 55gr rounds, but there are less of those than barrels that like the 70 grain.  And most people, except those that do a lot of prairie dog hunting or the like are going to be going with the heavier bullets instead of the lighter (40 grain) ones.

Link Posted: 4/29/2009 10:46:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
1 and 6... sure

+2 obviously a bench shooter.

Glad he doesn't get it though, more for me!
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 10:53:50 PM EDT
[#10]
the mag loops are to make it easier to pull the mags from tactical vest

civies don't really need them unless i guess the go to a range with a tac vest on
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 10:55:49 PM EDT
[#11]
I was going to type lengthy responses to almost every item, but I realized that it'd just be a waste of time.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 11:00:51 PM EDT
[#12]
seriously...why give a damn?  does it make you superior to others?
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 11:05:51 PM EDT
[#13]
It's fine that you don't "get" it, but points 1 - 9 are most certainly not fashion related - all have functional potential. I will give you #10 (I only read of one guy throwing it down the driveway), but you've been here since 2001, so maybe it's best if you remain in the dark about these latest "fashion trends".
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 11:09:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I was going to type lengthy responses to almost every item, but I realized that it'd just be a waste of time.

+1
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 11:17:19 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I agree with you except for the above

4:  Extra barrel length aids in velocity only, accuracy is unaffected.  Also, sometimes it pays to have a handier rifle.  Para length 7.62s have been around since 7.62s have been around

5:  If you can't SBR a rifle in your state, this is the best alternative.  Also, there is pretty significant handling difference between a 14.5" with pinned FS, and 16 with a FS.  You'll only notice this difference in a dynamic environment, not on a bench. Further, does pinning a FS cost that much, or put me at a disadvantage after i've chosen my rail/FSB/gas block of choice?  Nope.

7.  Magpuls are relevant for people who carry their ammo in pouches/vests, and/or wear gloves.  This is a broad category.  I don't use magpuls myself though.

9.  1/7 twist is the mil spec, and it will feed anything except ultra light (40 gr and below, according to Superior Barrel's video IIRC).  A barrel that will fire 55 grain FMJ BT and 77 gr OTM accurate is a winner in my book.  Of course, 1/8 twist is the "best" twist according to many as it's optimized for the 77 gr SMK.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 11:40:35 PM EDT
[#16]
You forgot one trend that I don't get:

11.) People questioning what other people do with their rifles.

Link Posted: 4/29/2009 11:41:11 PM EDT
[#17]

Barrel overall length = 16.5 inches,  so it isn't a SBR. No $200 tax stamp for it.

Still, I agree with the 'no velocity gain' part. Some people think that loooong comps/flash hiders are way cool. Sorta like spinner wheel rims, ya know?
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 11:51:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Barrel overall length = 16.5 inches,  so it isn't a SBR. No $200 tax stamp for it.

Still, I agree with the 'no velocity gain' part. Some people think that loooong comps/flash hiders are way cool. Sorta like spinner wheel rims, ya know?

OK, I'll bite - who has them on their AR? Pics?
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 12:27:15 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
It's fine that you don't "get" it, but points 1 - 9 are most certainly not fashion related - all have functional potential. I will give you #10 (I only read of one guy throwing it down the driveway), but you've been here since 2001, so maybe it's best if you remain in the dark about these latest "fashion trends".

I think I must have missed the thread where the guy beat up his rifle for cosmetic reasons... was this recent? Links?

Maybe the idea won't seem as idiotic when I see the thread.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 12:33:02 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

OK, I'll bite - who has them on their AR? Pics?

Mine is a 14.5" CMMG barrel with a pinned YHM QD mount.

Without Can

With Can

Link Posted: 4/30/2009 1:30:47 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

You forgot one trend that I don't get:

11.) People questioning what other people do with their rifles.

[/thread]

Link Posted: 4/30/2009 1:47:47 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 1:48:39 AM EDT
[#23]
Does not belong in tech forum, save the fashion nonsense for gd
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top