Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/29/2009 4:46:05 PM EDT
I just picked up a copy of Guns and Ammo's "Book of the AR-15". They had an article about the M4 and its performance in Iraq. There were some photos and I spotted one of an M4 (the military version) marked
"Colt's Mfg. Co."
Hartford, Ct."
I had been under the impression that all of the military m4s were marked "Colt Defense".
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 4:52:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I just picked up a copy of Guns and Ammo's "Book of the AR-15". They had an article about the M4 and its performance in Iraq. There were some photos and I spotted one of an M4 (the military version) marked
"Colt's Mfg. Co."
Hartford, Ct."
I had been under the impression that all of the military m4s were marked "Colt Defense".

I THINK that the production rollmark is added before the model rollmark.  Probably they ran out of "Colt's defense" lowers when they were doing a run of M4's and just grabbed a "Colt's Mfg Co." and completed the assembly.  I've seen a few LE Colts with the same mark.  I've also seen a few MT guns witht eh "Colt's defense" mark. It doesn't matter though, they are all made int eh same factory.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 4:55:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:
"Colt's Mfg. Co."
Hartford, Ct."

I THINK that the production rollmark is added before the model rollmark.  Probably they ran out of "Colt's defense" lowers when they were doing a run of M4's and just grabbed a "Colt's Mfg Co." and completed the assembly.  I've seen a few LE Colts with the same mark.  I've also seen a few MT guns witht eh "Colt's defense" mark. It doesn't matter though, they are all made int eh same factory.

I've got 2 MT6400cs. one is Colt Defense and the other Colt's Mfg. Co.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 4:59:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
"Colt's Mfg. Co."
Hartford, Ct."

All Colts made before 2002 will be marked Colts Mfg.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 5:03:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
"Colt's Mfg. Co."
Hartford, Ct."

All Colts made before 2002 will be marked Colts Mfg.

That's sort of what I was thinking and these M4s looked well used.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 5:25:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Not saying any of the above is not possible, but that magazine has historically been full of errors and misrepresentations.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 5:43:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Not saying any of the above is not possible, but that magazine has historically been full of errors and misrepresentations.

well it was definitely an M4. safe , semi and burst, outfitted like a typical M4 in Iraq, and with the anodizing rubbed off in places.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 5:54:35 PM EDT
[#7]
thrown down the driveway
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 6:14:12 PM EDT
[#8]
I have seen them marked both ways.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 6:40:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
"Colt's Mfg. Co."
Hartford, Ct."

Hey, did they just come out with this magazine?  I swear I just picked up the Guns and Ammo's "Book of the AK-47" like 5 days ago.  I want the AR-15 version too.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 9:41:06 PM EDT
[#10]
it's normal...I've seen civilian M4 marked "Colt Defense" or SAFE-SEMI (instead of SAFE-FIRE)

Link Posted: 4/30/2009 4:25:48 AM EDT
[#11]
Never had a Colt M4A1 issued to me that had the Colt Defense on it.  Then again never had a M4 (all A1 verisons).

CD
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 6:35:11 AM EDT
[#12]
My Colt M4 commando has the 'Colt's Mfg' mark.

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top