Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/28/2009 7:30:28 AM EDT
The Ops Inc Muzzle Break - Even if it’s not currently in stock, who carries  them?

How does this muzzle break mount?  I’m guessing the break itself is threaded, but how about the collar?  

Does anyone sell complete uppers with the break installed?  I don’t have an upper on this build yet and I’d prefer to get one complete rather than piecing it together here and there.   I’m not overly concerned with keeping to exact mill spec (trying to build lighter and shorter if possible), but trying to keep the accuracy and SPR look intact.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/28/2009 7:50:48 AM EDT
[#1]
1. Adco Firearms - Steve builds a lot of SPRs
2. The brake threads on, and the collar sits on a shelf cut into the barrel.  It's held on by a allen screw.
3. Adco, MSTN..... There are plenty of others that can do it too, the barrel has to be profiled correctly for the brake and collar setup.
Link Posted: 4/28/2009 8:05:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/28/2009 8:57:43 AM EDT
[#3]
For a complete Mk12 Mod1 upper, check out CenturionArms.com
Link Posted: 4/28/2009 11:42:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
1. Adco Firearms - Steve builds a lot of SPRs
2. The brake threads on, and the collar sits on a shelf cut into the barrel.  It's held on by a allen screw.
3. Adco, MSTN..... There are plenty of others that can do it too, the barrel has to be profiled correctly for the brake and collar setup.
'

Thank you, follow-up question on #2:   Does this type of barrel have a specific name; the one with the notch?  

Thanks for the complete build links.  I think I may try to build my own since I really want the VIS upper.  I’m no gunsmith though so still looking around.

Link Posted: 4/28/2009 11:51:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Yes, it's usually called an SPR contour.

If you're looking to build a true SPR you need:

1/8 twist, rifle length gas system - some are 1/7 - what you need really depends on what kind of ammo you're going to be shooting. The 1/8 twist is optimized for the 77gr Mk 262 load.

True SPR barrels are Douglas blanks turned by Compass Lake Engineering

White Oak Armament makes a very good one, but it's 1/7 twist, not 1/8.

Noveske makes an SPR profiled barrel as well - but it is made in mid-length gas systems only - no rifle length option.

-Glenn
Link Posted: 4/28/2009 11:54:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Great, thank you
Link Posted: 4/28/2009 1:57:32 PM EDT
[#7]
As I understand it, Compass Lake is responsible only for the chambering of the barrel, while gene barnett actually turns the barrels.

The barrel twist is also 1/7 IIRC.

As a civilian, you can actually get more accurate barrels than the spec SPR stuff.

Quoted:

1/8 twist, rifle length gas system - some are 1/7 - what you need really depends on what kind of ammo you're going to be shooting. The 1/8 twist is optimized for the 77gr Mk 262 load.

Noveske makes an SPR profiled barrel as well - but it is made in mid-length gas systems only - no rifle length option.

-Glenn

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/28/2009 2:35:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

-Glenn

It is actually a intermediate gas system that is 1.5" shorter than rifle length.

Link Posted: 4/28/2009 3:27:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
As I understand it, Compass Lake is responsible only for the chambering of the barrel, while gene barnett actually turns the barrels.

As a civilian, you can actually get more accurate barrels than the spec SPR stuff.

My Compass Lake barrel is 1/8 twist.

-Glenn

Link Posted: 4/28/2009 3:42:59 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Quoted:

My Compass Lake barrel is 1/8 twist.
-Glenn

I don't doubt that.  1/8 twist actually makes more sense of civilians as it's actually more accurate than mil-spec 1/7.  What chamber did you opt for BTW?  I'm also a CLE customer.

However, military SPRs are 1/7" twist.

Nope.  Another famous match barrel maker turns em.

Link Posted: 4/28/2009 4:15:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Mine is a wylde chamber, didn't want it too tight, figured that'd be good enough. Haven't run it out far - only 350 yards, but it shot well - under MOA at least.

I didn't know that about who turns them - I thought they were Douglas blanks - learn something new everyday. And they're at Coronado no less - didn't know that either. Guess it's good to be close to the source of your business.

-Glenn

ETA: I swore the mil SPR barrels were 1/8 - oops.
Link Posted: 4/28/2009 4:26:43 PM EDT
[#12]
I have a mil. SPR 1/8 Douglas barrel done by G. Barrnett. I also seen some in the 1/7.  The barrels will either be marked with an 8 or 7 to denote the twist. I live in Ohio and got an over run barrel that was extra on one of the contracts with Crane.
Link Posted: 4/28/2009 5:31:37 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Mine is a wylde chamber, didn't want it too tight, figured that'd be good enough. Haven't run it out far - only 350 yards, but it shot well - under MOA at least.

I didn't know that about who turns them - I thought they were Douglas blanks - learn something new everyday. And they're at Coronado no less - didn't know that either. Guess it's good to be close to the source of your business.

-Glenn

ETA: I swore the mil SPR barrels were 1/8 - oops.

Yeah, I decided to go with the Wylde chamber instead of begging for the super secret squirrel AMU chamber.

Centurion doesn't turn em, but this business is a side project of an active duty HSLD guy.  My point was that his replica is 1/7 twist, so if you're dead set on a dedicated "mil spec" clone, then 1/7 should be your target.  If you're more loose about making an "SPR-like" rifle, then 1/8 is a better choice.  However, most shooters wouldn't be able to tell the difference, as most shooters don't have the skill, or easy access to 500 yard plus ranges to actually experience the difference.

Of course, unless you get your hands on a NSWC produced SPR, you don't "really" know if the barrel twist is 1/7 or 1/8... and most end users of the real deal aren't really talkative.  I'm just making an educated guess.  

Link Posted: 4/28/2009 6:11:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Of course, unless you get your hands on a NSWC produced SPR, you don't "really" know if the barrel twist is 1/7 or 1/8...

BigBore should know. He had a genuine Mk 12 Mod1 upper for sale a few months back.

Link Posted: 4/29/2009 6:41:20 AM EDT
[#15]
Building a genuine SPR isn’t a major concern for me.

At the moment I have a big, heavy Colt HBAR which is my long range AR.  For my new build I want to cut the weight and length, and make the whole thing a bit more “tactical” as they say.

I want to grab some similar elements of the SPR “look”, SPR barrel and break, and I want the accuracy, or damn close to it;  but beyond that I’d like to actually improve on the military version if I can, or at the very least customize it without losing accuracy. I’ll more than likely go with the wylde chamber ; VLTOR VIS upper perhaps even gas-piston it, but that remains to be seen.

I’m still kind of clueless on the barrel, But the post here have helped my research, so thanks.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 10:30:04 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 10:37:01 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
1:7 are the real ones.  

Monty at Centurion does a spitting image clone as well –– given where he works, he would know

Wish I had the desposible income for one.

Link Posted: 4/29/2009 11:47:19 AM EDT
[#18]
Compass Lake furnished my SPR Douglas barrel in 1/7 twist

Link Posted: 4/29/2009 12:54:47 PM EDT
[#19]
I saw this rifle of yours in another post when searched on SPRs.

Its very nice!
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 6:16:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Here is my Mk12 Mod 0 I just finished.

Lower

WHTF Mega lower
RRA lower parts kit minus trigger
Geissele Match Hi-Speed Trigger
Magpul PRS stock

Upper

Mega upper
18" Noveske SPR Barrel
PRI GenIII Free Float Forearm
ARMS SPR-PEQ-2-3 Swan Sleeve - fits PRi GenIII Tube
PRI Flip-Up Front Sight .750 clamp
PRI M84 Gas Buster charging handle
RRA Bolt Carrier Group
OPS INC Brake-Collar
Harris Bipod BRM-S and LaRue Tactical LT130 QD Mount

Optics

ARMS 22 30mm Ring Mounts/Med height
Leupold Mark 4 Long Range Tactical M3 Rifle Scope 30mm Tube 3.5-10x 40mm Side Focus Illuminated Tactical Milling Reticle Matte

Link Posted: 4/30/2009 4:13:33 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 9:24:41 AM EDT
[#22]
Nice, I want one!

Link Posted: 4/30/2009 9:30:28 AM EDT
[#23]
The tracking number shows my Mod1 left ADCO and made it to KY and got on the big brown truck this morning.

Should be there when I get home!

Thanks ADCO!
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 2:46:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
The tracking number shows my Mod1 left ADCO and made it to KY and got on the big brown truck this morning.

Should be there when I get home!

Thanks ADCO!

When did you order yours?!?!!? How far out is the backlog????
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 4:02:21 PM EDT
[#25]
Uhmmm, I had all the parts, sent the barrel to ADCO for KG coating and thought, what the hell - they've built a shitload of SPRs, so I sent the whole upper for assembly after KG coating.  

I sent it out on Friday of last week and got it back today.  
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 3:34:45 AM EDT
[#26]
this one was made by mstn - couldnt give them a higher recommendation.

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top