Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/17/2009 8:59:29 PM EDT
The scarcity of complete uppers coupled with my need to meet NY's AWB, has me thinking of building my next upper from the barrel up.  Looking at either a 14.5" or 16" barrel, how would you rate the different barrels out there?

Build Info: I'd like to put together a rifle to be used at 10-300 yards for "tactical" engagements.  This would be used as a go-to rifle for SD and in carbine classes; not for precision shooting competitions.  Other furniture would likely include a DD Lite rail, VFG, light (no tape switches), fiip down sights, and (most likely) an ACOG.  This upper will sit on a LMT lower...a very lonely and naked LMT lower right now.

I've heard names like Kreiger, Compass Lake, Denny's Operator, White Oaks, Noveske, etc.  Let's hear how they stack up against one another!
Link Posted: 4/17/2009 9:02:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
The scarcity of complete uppers coupled with my need to meet NY's AWB, has me thinking of building my next upper from the barrel up.  Looking at either a 14.5" or 16" barrel, how would you rate the different barrels out there?

Build Info: I'd like to put together a rifle to be used at 10-300 yards for "tactical" engagements.  This would be used as a go-to rifle for SD and in carbine classes; not for precision shooting competitions.  Other furniture would likely include a DD Lite rail, VFG, light (no tape switches), fiip down sights, and (most likely) an ACOG.  This upper will sit on a LMT lower...a very lonely and naked LMT lower right now.

I've heard names like Kreiger, Compass Lake, Denny's Operator, White Oaks, Noveske, etc.  Let's hear how they stack up against one another!

Noveske
Link Posted: 4/17/2009 9:09:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Noveske, LMT and Colt
Link Posted: 4/17/2009 9:18:48 PM EDT
[#3]
One of the most distinguished marksman that I know claims that Satern is the best. I am sure he could profile the barrel for your application. Here is his message to me earlier today on this topic:

"after 5 years as a member of the USMC rifle team shooting competitively abroad and domestically, winning state championships and maintaining High Master status in Long Range category (1000 yd), and being Double Distinguished, may I offer my two cents on a good barrel? Satern!!! Steve Satern in Estherville Iowa is THE MAN. He makes the AMU and current USMC barrels. His barrels run circles around Shillen, Krieger, Douglas etc."-Kip Carrier
Link Posted: 4/17/2009 10:05:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
One of the most distinguished marksman that I know claims that Satern is the best. I am sure he could profile the barrel for your application. Here is his message to me earlier today on this topic:

"after 5 years as a member of the USMC rifle team shooting competitively abroad and domestically, winning state championships and maintaining High Master status in Long Range category (1000 yd), and being Double Distinguished, may I offer my two cents on a good barrel? Satern!!! Steve Satern in Estherville Iowa is THE MAN. He makes the AMU and current USMC barrels. His barrels run circles around Shillen, Krieger, Douglas etc."-Kip Carrier

Good luck getting one. I heard of 1 year wait times on those before the post election madness started.

Edit;
      Sabre makes good combat barrels, I would put them on par with Colt, LMT and Bravo Co. Noveske would be a step up from there.
Link Posted: 4/17/2009 10:20:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good luck getting one. I heard of 1 year wait times on those before the post election madness started.

Edit;
      Sabre makes good combat barrels, I would put them on par with Colt, LMT and Bravo Co. Noveske would be a step up from there.

I didn't know availability was an issue in the question. If the above poster wants a good barrel NOW, I would recommend the LT Stealth system that suits his needs as far as length/rail. Those are a matter of weeks.
Link Posted: 4/17/2009 10:46:57 PM EDT
[#6]
I was going to give my 2cents, but realize I have less than 1 cent to give so I will just say my exhaustive research with little AR experience led me to get a Noveske.
Link Posted: 4/17/2009 10:51:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Build Info: I'd like to put together a rifle to be used at 10-300 yards for "tactical" engagements.  

Serious question:  What's the difference between "tactical" engagements versus the standard variety?
Link Posted: 4/17/2009 10:51:51 PM EDT
[#8]
I was able to obtain a barrel!  I have been completely happy with it so far.  
Link Posted: 4/18/2009 12:15:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Build Info: I'd like to put together a rifle to be used at 10-300 yards for "tactical" engagements.  

Serious question:  What's the difference between "tactical" engagements versus the standard variety?

Tactical engaguements involve the use of tactical gear. Standard engagements do not. I would think this would have been obvious?
Link Posted: 4/18/2009 12:16:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Why, pray tell, what barrel was it that you obtained?
Link Posted: 4/18/2009 12:25:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Noveske ftw
Link Posted: 4/18/2009 12:26:43 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The massive adrenaline dump, DUH!

Link Posted: 4/18/2009 1:48:28 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Noveske ftw

+ 1
Link Posted: 4/18/2009 3:50:45 AM EDT
[#14]
Noveske will be the best for your build. The N4 barrels specifically.
Link Posted: 4/18/2009 4:08:44 AM EDT
[#15]
add BCM to this list.....

Quoted:
Noveske, LMT and Colt

Link Posted: 4/18/2009 5:00:54 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Noveske, LMT and Colt

This is pretty much the standard answer that you will get here.
Link Posted: 4/18/2009 5:07:48 AM EDT
[#17]
noveske
Link Posted: 4/18/2009 5:32:15 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Noveske will be the best for your build. The N4 barrels specifically.

I've only been involved with ARs for a short while, but have never seen Noveske's N4 barrels offered individually.  Does anyone know if they are generally sold separately and not only in complete upper builds?

You might also want to consider the mid-length Hard Blue ones that Superior offers.  I have a 16" and have found it to be a pretty kick ass barrel.
Link Posted: 4/18/2009 5:48:56 AM EDT
[#19]
Wes at MSTN will build to suit; he often has the Noveske barrels.
Link Posted: 4/18/2009 6:18:26 AM EDT
[#20]
Compass Lake, Douglas, or Lilja in no particular order.  I like shorter Lilja barrels, and the longer Compass Lake/Douglas barrels for SPRs.

My .02.

-Glenn

ETA: What kind of ammo will you be shooting? If you're not shooting good stuff like Black Hills Sierra 77gr, Mk 262, etc and only running shit like M193, Wolf, M855, you're not going to need a badass barrel and you'd be wasting your money. Your barrel is only going to shoot as good as the ammo you're running through it.

On a carbine length like you want - get a good Colt/Noveske/Sabre barrel and it'll definitely do what you ask of it. If you were running your gun out to 5-6-700 meters on an dedicated intermediate range platform, I'd recommend a higher class barrel, but those will defintiely do what you want them to do.
Link Posted: 4/18/2009 7:21:43 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Compass Lake, Douglas, or Lilja in no particular order.  I like shorter Lilja barrels, and the longer Compass Lake/Douglas barrels for SPRs.

My .02.

-Glenn

ETA: What kind of ammo will you be shooting? If you're not shooting good stuff like Black Hills Sierra 77gr, Mk 262, etc and only running shit like M193, Wolf, M855, you're not going to need a badass barrel and you'd be wasting your money. Your barrel is only going to shoot as good as the ammo you're running through it.

On a carbine length like you want - get a good Colt/Noveske/Sabre barrel and it'll definitely do what you ask of it. If you were running your gun out to 5-6-700 meters on an dedicated intermediate range platform, I'd recommend a higher class barrel, but those will defintiely do what you want them to do.

This is the reply you need to pay attention to, what ammo are you going to use?  Is the barrel going to be used as a survival, defense, shtf, plinking or target?   If your planning on using it as target rifle with match rounds, you will want to go stainless, if its going to be the shtf, rifle go chrome lined, save your money you would spend on Noveske and get a good, BCM, Sabre, Colt, LMT and use your savings for better optics.
Noveskes are good but dont get trapped in the Noveske Kool Aid, they are over priced and most shooters cant use what a top tier mfg barrel is capable of anyway, now if you want to ignore the Noveske advice you also gain bragging rights to some.
Link Posted: 4/18/2009 7:28:46 AM EDT
[#22]
I bought a Model 1 Sales upper with an ER Shaw barrel.  It has performed very well up to 300 yards.  Using only an Aimpoint I could consistently hit a target (both stationary and moving) that was 12" wide by 24" tall.  My barrel is 10.25".  I paid $350 for the upper without BCG/CH.  That is about the same price as some of these companies want for JUST the barrel.

YMMV, flamesuit on, etc.
Link Posted: 4/18/2009 8:07:57 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why, pray tell, what barrel was it that you obtained?

Im not sure the geneology of this barrel but it shoots very fine for a 16" carbine.  Im happy with 2" groups with my milspec velocity reloads.   I can find no markings on it but the bore is bright, the finish is an excellent match with the upper and the lower.  The rifling is still there after approximately 200 rounds.  I consider this a definite plus along with the fact that it is in m4 configuration!    I bought it on the local classified adds for a grand sum of $179.00.  It appears brand spanking new too.
Link Posted: 4/18/2009 1:57:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tactical engaguements involve the use of tactical gear. Standard engagements do not. I would think this would have been obvious?

Just trying to convey that I'm not going to be sitting at a bench taking 5 minutes between each shot.  I'm going to use this rifle for active range sessions (ie, using multiple shooting positions), carbine classes, and SD - not bullseye shooting competitions.  Hope that answers your question.

Compass Lake, Douglas, or Lilja in no particular order. I like shorter Lilja barrels, and the longer Compass Lake/Douglas barrels for SPRs.

My .02.

-Glenn

Right now, I'm shooting XM193 and M855...no Wolf or other crap, just brass.  I will likely add the Black Hills 77 gr into the mix since it would be combined with a magnified optic (I'm only using RDS currently).  My local range only runs out to 300 yards, so I wouldn't be able to tap into the potential of say an 18" high end SPR barrel.  

I completely agree with not overspending for "the best" barrel if I'm not going to maximize its potential.  I'm trying to get a sense of how the different barrels stack up wth one another, then see what's in stock or could be ordered in a reasonalbe timeframe.  Obviously, I'll have to hunt around no matter which barrel I'm looking for.  At this point, I'm looking to stretch my options beyond the complete uppers offered by LMT or Noveske for the simple fact that (a) I can't find one in stock, and (b) I'll need to have a FSC556 pinned on it.

Link Posted: 4/18/2009 2:30:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 4/18/2009 3:10:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Noveskes are good but dont get trapped in the Noveske Kool Aid, they are over priced and most shooters cant use what a top tier mfg barrel is capable of anyway, ....

Why not get the best barrel you can and at least take that out of the mix for markmanship purposes?  I suggest buying the best barrel, optics and trigger you can afford and then with good ammo ...practice. As far as Noveske being overpriced...what is good quality worth to you? Is it worth bragging rights? Piece of mind? Thats like saying a Porsche is overpriced when you could buy a Yugo because "its only getting you to point a and b and their are spped limits anyway?"

Link Posted: 4/18/2009 3:17:18 PM EDT
[#27]
I have a Bushmaster 1/7 M4 profile chromelined,a sabre defence same way,CMMG socom weight 14.7 same way,and a BCM same way..I love em all but the BCM is what im partial to.
Link Posted: 4/18/2009 4:06:18 PM EDT
[#28]
OK not trying to steal the thread but anyone know who makes barrels for LWRC?? I bought a 10.5 of the EE and there are no markings any Ideas??

To OP are you wanting a SS barrel or a CL barrel????
Link Posted: 4/18/2009 4:21:43 PM EDT
[#29]
I personally really like White Oak Armory and have always been happy with the quality and accuracy.
Link Posted: 4/18/2009 4:26:41 PM EDT
[#30]
If you are shooting GI type ammo with the possibility of shooting some heavier match type ammo, and using the gun for anything "Tactical" meaning self defense. I would insist on a chrome lined barrel. For only 300 yards you don't need  a premium barrel. Why take an expensive target barrel that is not chrome lined to a carbine class and smoke it shooting at 50 Yds.? Sounds like what you need to me is a good quality 16" chrome lined .556 chambered 1/7 twist rifle. If you don't want to take a chance on getting a barrel that doesn't shoot well, spend a little over the second tier manufactures and get a Saber defense barrel. I would not pay the premium for a Noveske, Lilja or any other premium barrel if it was needing to be chrome lined like a defense rifle should be. If you were building a scoped SPR or something that would make a difference. But for SD stick with a good combat barrel with a .556 chamber.
Link Posted: 4/18/2009 4:27:08 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
OK not trying to steal the thread but anyone know who makes barrels for LWRC?? I bought a 10.5 of the EE and there are no markings any Ideas??

To OP are you wanting a SS barrel or a CL barrel????

CL

Link Posted: 4/18/2009 4:33:17 PM EDT
[#32]
Seeing as how Noveske isn't taking orders, and a LT stealth is readily available, and on par with Noveske anyway...get the LT.
Link Posted: 4/18/2009 6:48:44 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Noveskes are good but dont get trapped in the Noveske Kool Aid, they are over priced and most shooters cant use what a top tier mfg barrel is capable of anyway, ....

Why not get the best barrel you can and at least take that out of the mix for markmanship purposes?  I suggest buying the best barrel, optics and trigger you can afford and then with good ammo ...practice. As far as Noveske being overpriced...what is good quality worth to you? Is it worth bragging rights? Piece of mind? Thats like saying a Porsche is overpriced when you could buy a Yugo because "its only getting you to point a and b and their are spped limits anyway?"

Because it is over priced, I have a Noveske on a rifle and it isnt any better than my White Oak for out right accuracy.  Face it you ARE paying a price above for the name.  That has nothing to do with peace of mind.  To be honest, your not going to wrong with a LMT either.  The OP wants a good barrel that will last be accurate BUT hes not bench resting, etc.  You will never get the full potential out of the Noveske short of reloading.  I know this for fact, how?  I own one, as I said and I reload.  The OP really needs to buy a good barrel, chrome lined save the extra dough and buy good optics.  As far as a good trigger I agree, but Gessels are hard to find and I have roken or had prolems with RRA & LMT.  You can build a rifle using everything Noveske does and I guarentee you it will be just as accurate, just as reliable and cost a ton less.

ETA, to the OP get a LMT chrome lined or a BCM, be done with it, use your savings to buy good optics, ammo, than invest in a Gessel.
Link Posted: 4/18/2009 7:11:12 PM EDT
[#34]
BCM middie with the DD Lite rail
Link Posted: 4/18/2009 7:48:41 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

ETA, to the OP get a LMT chrome lined or a BCM, be done with it, use your savings to buy good optics, ammo, than invest in a Gessel.

You just described my "Plan A" for the most part .  Solid advice there.  I was looking for other options with supply being so tight, but it's tough to knock LMT or BCM.  My current LMT has been 100% reliable so I wouldn't hesitate to add another.  Magnified optics are a given with an ACOG or maybe a NF 1-4x at the top of my list.  I'm in line for a Geissele SSA at a couple of places too.
Link Posted: 4/18/2009 8:19:06 PM EDT
[#36]
edited for blood alcohol content.
Link Posted: 4/18/2009 8:52:25 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because it is over priced, I have a Noveske on a rifle and it isnt any better than my White Oak for out right accuracy.  Face it you ARE paying a price above for the name.  That has nothing to do with peace of mind.  To be honest, your not going to wrong with a LMT either.  The OP wants a good barrel that will last be accurate BUT hes not bench resting, etc.  You will never get the full potential out of the Noveske short of reloading.  I know this for fact, how?  I own one, as I said and I reload.  The OP really needs to buy a good barrel, chrome lined save the extra dough and buy good optics.  As far as a good trigger I agree, but Gessels are hard to find and I have roken or had prolems with RRA & LMT.  You can build a rifle using everything Noveske does and I guarentee you it will be just as accurate, just as reliable and cost a ton less.

OK, so Noveske's are overpriced? Why did you choose an overpriced Noveske rather than an LMT or BCM?

Link Posted: 4/18/2009 9:11:19 PM EDT
[#38]
ER Shaw barrels shoot fine for an AR, Noveske is overated and over priced.
Link Posted: 4/19/2009 6:49:08 AM EDT
[#39]
My Noveske Chrome lined will out shoot any other CL barrel I have ever had but, as mstennes pointed out it will take handloads or expensive match ammo to do it. If you plan on just shooting factory xm193 or any surplus stuff, your money will go farther with a Sabre, LMT or Bravo Co..

Edit; I picked a Noveske N4 because I wanted the most durable barrel I could get and I got a damn good deal on them. The accuracy thing was a happy coincidences.
Link Posted: 4/19/2009 12:22:21 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

OK, so Noveske's are overpriced? Why did you choose an overpriced Noveske rather than an LMT or BCM?

Because, I got it at dealer price, last year when they were slightly over priced. I can guarentee I would NOT pay for what they are going for now from a dealer.  Its the only one I have or will have, UNLESS you are a hand loader your buying a name, no more accuracy OR reliability than LMT, Colt, BCM, Rainier, White Oak, etc, and then even custom tailoring your loads to you specific barrel it will be no better than any other top tier barrel maker, sorry I know Noveske followers hate to hear that but look at what being used in full blown, match rifles, three gun etc.
Link Posted: 4/19/2009 2:26:16 PM EDT
[#41]
Mstennes, since the OP mentioned that he was looking for the best barrel for tactical situations and not precision accuracy, I'll consider your argument of precision accuracy with Noveske barrels a moot point. Noveske barrels are one of the best on the market because they are hammer forged and double chrome lined. They are extremely reliable and will far outlast most any other barrel in production. I love LMT and I own one, but I would never in a million years compare their barrels to Noveske's.
Link Posted: 4/19/2009 8:12:37 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Mstennes, since the OP mentioned that he was looking for the best barrel for tactical situations and not precision accuracy, I'll consider your argument of precision accuracy with Noveske barrels a moot point. Noveske barrels are one of the best on the market because they are hammer forged and double chrome lined. They are extremely reliable and will far outlast most any other barrel in production. I love LMT and I own one, but I would never in a million years compare their barrels to Noveske's.

I never said they were bad barrels, I actually like the one I have, but is it that much better?  No, I dont think its worth the price, that could be used for optics and ammo.  I think that a good high quality cl barrel will be more than enough.
Link Posted: 4/19/2009 8:22:27 PM EDT
[#43]
I agree and I get what your saying about a cl lmt or bcm upper being more than enough, but that wasn't the question being put forward by the op. It may be a little overkill for the average shooter, but it is still a superior barrel.
Link Posted: 4/19/2009 8:27:26 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
If you are shooting GI type ammo with the possibility of shooting some heavier match type ammo, and using the gun for anything "Tactical" meaning self defense. I would insist on a chrome lined barrel. For only 300 yards you don't need  a premium barrel. Why take an expensive target barrel that is not chrome lined to a carbine class and smoke it shooting at 50 Yds.? Sounds like what you need to me is a good quality 16" chrome lined .556 chambered 1/7 twist rifle. If you don't want to take a chance on getting a barrel that doesn't shoot well, spend a little over the second tier manufactures and get a Saber defense barrel. I would not pay the premium for a Noveske, Lilja or any other premium barrel if it was needing to be chrome lined like a defense rifle should be. If you were building a scoped SPR or something that would make a difference. But for SD stick with a good combat barrel with a .556 chamber.

In tests I have seen, a good SS barrel will hold combat accuracy just as long as a chrome-lined USGI barrel. Most M4's wear the barrel out at around 5-10K, depending on firing schedual. A while back, a guy posted his experiment with beating the hell out of a SS barrel. It lasted past 10K and kept on providing "combat" accuracy.

If anyone has the link, that would be great!
Link Posted: 4/19/2009 8:35:13 PM EDT
[#45]
so should we be saying pac nor?  i have a pac nor noveske ss barrel.  does pac nor make all of noveske's ss barrels?
Link Posted: 4/20/2009 7:39:28 AM EDT
[#46]
Pac Nor blanks and Pac Nor machining to Noveske's specs...
Link Posted: 4/20/2009 12:20:41 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:

In tests I have seen, a good SS barrel will hold combat accuracy just as long as a chrome-lined USGI barrel. Most M4's wear the barrel out at around 5-10K, depending on firing schedual. A while back, a guy posted his experiment with beating the hell out of a SS barrel. It lasted past 10K and kept on providing "combat" accuracy.

If anyone has the link, that would be great!

This one?
Link Posted: 5/15/2009 6:18:25 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
BCM middie with the DD Lite rail

Winner, winner...Chicken dinner!

I was lucky enough to score a 16" BCM middy with the 12" DD Lite rail.  First impressions: the fit and finish are perfect.  The minute you open the box, it's plain to see that BCM puts out a stellar product (and the free swag is pretty sweet too).  This one will go on a new LMT lower as soon as my ACS comes in.  The obligatory pics will follow shortly.

Oh yeah...since you guys offered so many fine suggestions, I also went ahead and ordered a LMT MRP CQB 14.5" upper and a Compass Lake SS 16" barrel for a future recce build.  
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top