Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/29/2009 8:39:40 PM EDT
Im going to SBR my AR soon and after I get it engraved im going to need to refinish it. Just wanted some suggestions on finishes you reccomend. Something hard, wears well and looks good. The only finish I have gotten on my AR's so far is Metaloys Tacticoat. I want something baked or p[lated on. No spray on finishes. Pics would be sweet. Thanks guys!
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 8:41:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Re-anodized?
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 9:11:49 PM EDT
[#2]
could always melonite it here is a link
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 9:20:13 PM EDT
[#3]
why not just color fill the engraving black? thats what i plan to w/ my sbr as soon as i get my tax stamp
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 9:31:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Can that be done to aluminum

Coal Creek Armory is proud to offer the ultimate black "finish" for your steel firearms - Melonite QPQ™.

In a molten bath of special salts, nitrogen, carbon, and small amounts of oxygen are diffused into the surface of the steel, creating a super-hard surface, called the "compound layer."

Melonite QPQ™ can be used on both carbon steel and stainless steel.

Link Posted: 3/29/2009 9:39:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Coal Creek Armory is proud to offer the ultimate black "finish" for your steel firearms - Melonite QPQ™.

In a molten bath of special salts, nitrogen, carbon, and small amounts of oxygen are diffused into the surface of the steel, creating a super-hard surface, called the "compound layer."

last I heard is that they have a special process to do it/have a different finish other than melonite.  You might want to contact CCA and see what they say.  

on a side note they offer baked finishes that I have heard are extremely tough as well, CCA are gtg and very pleasant to deal with.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 10:14:16 PM EDT
[#6]
why do you need to refinish it? Its not like your engraving on a part thats going to wear.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 10:16:37 PM EDT
[#7]
I like the Molly Resin coat the Anvil Arms use.

http://www.anvilarms.com/pc-325-47-moly-coat.aspx

John Norrell gives an excellent explanation of it:

http://molyresin.com/molyresin_about.asp

Link Posted: 3/29/2009 10:27:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

last I heard is that they have a special process to do it/have a different finish other than melonite.  You might want to contact CCA and see what they say.  

on a side note they offer baked finishes that I have heard are extremely tough as well, CCA are gtg and very pleasant to deal with.

Nope.. melonite/nitriding can't be done to aluminum
Link Posted: 3/30/2009 5:24:54 AM EDT
[#9]
ION BOND , is the toughest available finish for aluminum end of discussion....
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top