Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/29/2009 12:43:26 PM EDT
Hello all, new to the site, but it is outstanding for info, plus the conversations are cordial.

In light of the current administration's and other congressmembers obvious targetting of  certain semiautomatic rifles for ban, I am seriously considering buying an AR-15.  I am familiar with the M-16 A1/A2s through military service (11Bushmaster) but the AR-15 family seems to very much diverse nowadays.  So here is what I am considering.

The weapon that I would buy is for defensive purposes.  I was trained on iron sights but the ACOGs and Eotechs are interesting pieces of equipment.  I am cautious of the durability of those and want to explore what the best upper reciever group would be best to incorporate both iron sights and the possibility of utilizing the above.  So what's a good basic model to start off with and add toys to later, such as foregrips, bipods, slings, pistol grips etc?  At the moment I cannot afford all the goodies at once,  but something I can start back with basic marksmanship out of the box.

Thanks in advance for the responses.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 12:50:46 PM EDT
[#1]
I would say LMT MRP:

It has all the rail space to add whatever you want later on.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 12:52:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Any AR15 you buy will be just as upgradeable as any other AR15, so it does not really matter what AR15 you buy to begin with.

In my opinion the 2 most important things to first consider when buying a pre-built AR are going to be to get barrel length/profile you want and sticking with a flat-top upper receiver so that you can mount your optics.

Of the brands available, some would consider Colt and LMT the best, but there are lots of other good brands such as Smith and Wesson, Bushmaster, CMMG, Stag, Olympic, etc. You really cant go wrong with any of them and they will all work just as good as the Colts and LMT's.

Some AR15's already come "pre-modified" with things like Railed Handguards, Buttstocks and Pistol Grips. IMO I would not purchase one of these because chances are you will like a different buttstock, pistol grip, BUIS, etc better than the one you purchase comes with anyways.

I would just stick with just a basic AR15 with Plastic Handguards, stock Pistol grip and Stock Buttstock and then shop around online for the parts you really like and then add them later, none of these addon parts are very hard to install exept for some brands of handguards.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 12:54:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Stag Model 1
Bushmaster M4A3
S&W M&P 15T
LMT Defender 2000
Colt 6920 - if you can afford it

I'd recommend getting a complete weapon, as components are backordered for months through most manufacturers.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 1:03:11 PM EDT
[#4]
It kinda depends what your starting budget is. The LMT MRP is an awsome rifle but is more toward the high end of the pay scale ~$1800. You could also look at LMT's defender 2000 rifle, Colt 6920,  or S&W M&P 15 series. These are all great rifles and start out a little lower. If price is no object, go with the LMT MRP or look at Noveske rifles or the Colt 6940. Great stuff, but you pay for it.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 1:04:44 PM EDT
[#5]
A stripped lower of most any manufacturer, lower parts kit and buttstock will get you half way there, then a Stag Model 2H upper with flip up sights to use until an optic is decided on.
4 or 5 magazines to get you started, along with some M193 5.56 ammo.
http://www.stagarms.com/product_info.php?cPath=14_24&products_id=241

Welocome to the world of the AR!
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 1:14:32 PM EDT
[#6]
and remember to post a pic when you get your AR ! welcome to BRD comrade.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top