Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/27/2009 5:37:30 PM EDT
Sig is coming out with their 556 in a pistol format and I'm thinking about getting it.  The reason I ask is I like to carry a AR in each vehicle but have nowhere to hide it in my truck.  I don't want it anywhere somebody can see it.  The sig pistol has a small forearm and would be perfect if I could put a small fold out stock on it.  But it seems this would be a SBR and put me in violation.  Also, I don't understand why we can't have a SBR without a special permit when we can carry pistols.

Does anybody know the rules so I can stay out of trouble?
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 5:40:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Pistols don't have stocks or vertical grips.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 5:47:08 PM EDT
[#2]
You're asking for ATF LOGIC?!?!

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 5:50:12 PM EDT
[#3]
The rules: if it has a shoulder stock, it had better have a barrel of at least 16" or it's an SBR.  If it doesn't have a stock, it can have a very short barrel, but those vertical foregrips are a problem.  Not too difficult to figure out, just kinda odd.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 6:02:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Why is it odd?  Seems pretty simple.  SBR means "short barreled rifle".  If it NEVER had a shoulder stock it is NOT a rifle.  If you add a forward verticle grip then your pistol becomes an AOW and you would need to pay a $200 "makers tax".  If it came from the factory with a forward vert grip or an SOT did the work for you then it would be a $5 "transfer tax".

MadDog
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 6:20:55 PM EDT
[#5]
ATF seems like they make it up as they go

this is classified as a pistol

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 6:22:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 6:48:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Sig is coming out with their 556 in a pistol format and I'm thinking about getting it.  The reason I ask is I like to carry a AR in each vehicle but have nowhere to hide it in my truck.  I don't want it anywhere somebody can see it.  The sig pistol has a small forearm and would be perfect if I could put a small fold out stock on it.  But it seems this would be a SBR and put me in violation.  Also, I don't understand why we can't have a SBR without a special permit when we can carry pistols.

Does anybody know the rules so I can stay out of trouble?

National Firearms Act of 1934
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 3:02:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
ATF seems like they make it up as they go

this is classified as a pistol

http://i40.tinypic.com/2i6hs0l.jpg

A rifle is a weapon designed to be fired from the shoulder.
I own a mare's leg. If you tried to fire it from the shoulder,
the hammer would put your eye out.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 11:48:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Why is it odd?  Seems pretty simple.  SBR means "short barreled rifle".  If it NEVER had a shoulder stock it is NOT a rifle.  If you add a forward verticle grip then your pistol becomes an AOW and you would need to pay a $200 "makers tax".  If it came from the factory with a forward vert grip or an SOT did the work for you then it would be a $5 "transfer tax".

MadDog

I do believe that what you just described meets the definition of odd.  Simple maybe, but still odd.  It would make more sense to be able to just walk into a store, or even mailorder whatever firearm I wanted.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top