Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/27/2009 4:33:00 PM EDT
I recently purchased a CMMG Mod4LA.  I am curious about what makes it a Mod4 rather than an M4.  Are there parts that are improved to make it a mod4 or is it just because I live in California and I need a tool to drop the mag?  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 4:35:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Can you post a pic? It would help.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 4:42:20 PM EDT
[#2]
I cannot pick up the gun until Thursday (10 day waiting period).  Once I have it I will post some pics of it.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 4:44:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Did you check on the CMMG web-site???
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 5:02:23 PM EDT
[#4]
I did, but I did not see any rifles that were called Mod4.  I find it when I use the Yahoo web search, but nothing on the CMMG website.  This is why it is confusing to me.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 5:07:47 PM EDT
[#5]
I think Mod4 is just a model name that they use on their receivers. You may get a definitive reply in CMMG's industry section though. Try there.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 5:10:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I think Mod4 is just a model name that they use on their receivers.

This.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 5:11:23 PM EDT
[#7]
I think MOD4 is just the model of the lower receiver, not the whole weapon.

I have a MOD4SA lower. Yours is probably the same lower, just been modified to use a tool to remove the magazine.

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 5:26:51 PM EDT
[#8]
CMMG Mod4, Noveske N4, RRA R-4, Colt M4 - all the same basic thing.
I'm not sure if the courts ruled the M4 designation to be copyrighted, but nonetheless, it seems every company has come up with their own cute name for a carbine with an M4 profile barrel.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 7:46:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
CMMG Mod4, Noveske N4, RRA R-4, Colt M4 - all the same basic thing.
I'm not sure if the courts ruled the M4 designation to be copyrighted, but nonetheless, it seems every company has come up with their own cute name for a carbine with an M4 profile barrel.

A few years ago Colt got their panties in a wad over Bushmaster using the M4 name & ended up suing Bushmaster. Bushmaster ended up winning & I think that because of that suit, the M4 name is okay to use.

But I imagine that the companies that you mentioned (other than Colt) may have used other names to cover their asses just in case. And I don't blame them, sometimes it's easier to not poke at the hornet's nest.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 9:02:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Thank you for your help on this one guys.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 11:30:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Well, considering an M4 is full auto, there is one definite diference.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 5:35:48 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

The M4 is 3rd burst. The M4A1 is auto.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 2:41:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The M4 is 3rd burst. The M4A1 is auto.

So, you're saying 3 rd burst isn't auto?  I wish you wrote the NFA laws.

I am just messing with you, because you split that hair finer than I did and I'm kinda jealous.

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top