Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/27/2009 5:59:15 AM EDT
What could be wrong? I'm experiencing rattling in my milspec CTR stock even with the friction lock on in its most forward position. Any advise?
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 6:02:51 AM EDT
[#1]
maye u have a milspec on a commercial tube?
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 6:10:29 AM EDT
[#2]
i'm pretty sure it wouldn't fit... mine was loose too...

i ended up taking a couple of pieces electrical tape and running them around buffer long ways... it really helps!
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 6:10:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

That wouldn't fit on there.  Other way around.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 6:16:35 AM EDT
[#4]
one of mine is loose too.  It could be the tube of course.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 6:20:40 AM EDT
[#5]
I have one that's loose in that position too. It's much tighter in any of the extended positions.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 6:42:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That wouldn't fit on there.  Other way around.

Yup. I got it all right. It's all milspec, buffer tube and stock.
I take it from the replies, would it be right to conclude now that it's a fairly common occurence?

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 6:47:32 AM EDT
[#7]
my other 3 are still tight.

I was totally convinced on CTR's due of the friction lock, but beucase of the one loose one my last two purchases have been VLTOR EMODS.  they seem to be very very tight on vltor tubes.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 7:21:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
What could be wrong? I'm experiencing rattling in my milspec CTR stock even with the friction lock on in its most forward position. Any advise?

Sure you got a milspec CTR and not a commercial?  May want to double check that!   Of course not all tubes are made equal either.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 7:24:54 AM EDT
[#9]
There is a write up around here somewhere that tells you  to knock out the roll pin, take off the friction lock, bend in the metal tab that does the friction part of the setup and it will be tighter.   worked for my commercial one.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 7:25:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Easy fix is to just tighten the spring steel clamp.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 7:33:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Good info. My commercial one has been slightly loose (I wouldn't call it rattling) since I got it. I'll have to tighten it up and maybe it will stop pulling my whiskers out.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 8:45:04 AM EDT
[#12]
When I first got my CTR stock my dealer sent me the wrong one, I got the commercial model with the larger hole diameter but I ordered the milspec model for my LMT's milspec buffer tube.

It was loose but didn't rattle when the friction lock was off, but when I tightened the friction lock, I was really surprised that it was a very solid fit.

If you don't want to mess with it, just take it back to your dealer and let them know about your problem.

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 2:10:55 PM EDT
[#13]
I tried to tighten my friction lock and put it back on and still had a little wobble.  Do you just take out the metal piece and bend it up some?
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 2:18:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I tried to tighten my friction lock and put it back on and still had a little wobble.  Do you just take out the metal piece and bend it up some?

Yes, I bend it so it is so tight I have to assemble the lock with the stock on the buffer tube. I have it too tight to slide on.

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 2:42:41 PM EDT
[#15]
I only own 1 CTR stock that I bought as a spring/tube/stock combo, and it is ROCK SOLID with absouloutley no movement whatsoever.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 2:55:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

The friction lock barely has any material for it to engage on in the most forward position.

Look at where that shelf stops on the bottom.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 2:55:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Easy fix is to just tighten the spring steel clamp.

Be VERY careful if you do this.  That spring steel is brittle and it can literally explode into lots of tiny little pieces if you bend it too much.  Don't ask how I know.  

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 3:03:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sure you got a milspec CTR and not a commercial?  May want to double check that!   Of course not all tubes are made equal either.

I'm convinced now it's the tube. I have another milspec CTR and tried to fit it in the same tube of the CTR that has the rattle and turns out the same. I placed the "loose" CTR in another milspec tube of my other rifle and it's rock solid.
You're right about the tube not being made equal....

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 5:39:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Okay... I am apparently a raging idiot because I've got my CTR apart and I can't figure out how the friction lock is supposed to work. I don't see a way to tighten it by bending anything.

Anyone have a link to more info or some pictures, maybe?

Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 7:02:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Never mind –– I figured it out! lol

So THAT'S what it's supposed to be like! I liked it before, too...
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top