Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/25/2009 2:55:34 PM EDT
Hello everyone,

I'm new to rifles, having only shot shotguns and pistols in the past.  I'd like to thank this forum for your insight.  I never posted but read a lot here while deciding to buy an M4.  The faq thread was excellent: http://www.ar15.com/forums/manageTopic.html?b=3&f=118

I just got the Daniel Defense 2000 M4 yesterday from Jim at Erie Ordnance Depot shipped by Peach State Guns, it looks and feels great!  I can't wait to fire my first rifle.

If it's ok, I'd also like to thank Jim at Erie Ordnance Depot. Being new to rifles and just getting into the gun hobby, I had a lot of questions.  I was at Erie Ordnance for a couple hours yesterday and Jim explained how the gun works, taught me how to field strip it, clean it, setup the Vicker's sling, and answered all my questions. I've found a lot of people selling guns these days, but his customer service was EXCELLENT.

I'm still trying to decide on a scope, so if you have any recommendations, please let me know.  Also, any recommendations for a guy just getting into the hobby in general would be great as well.  Thanks guys.  I'll post some pics this weekend.
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 3:37:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Welcome! Congrats on the new stick.

Before you get too far into thinking about optics, think about ammo and mags. Take the time to get good with your irons and become familiar with the rifle and determine what its primary role will be, and then go for optics. Just my two cents.

Link Posted: 3/25/2009 3:40:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Are you talking about the DDM4?? If so Post a Pic

Pic Thread
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 3:43:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Thank you for the info.  I bought 10 pmags and have 200 rounds of Hornady tap 75gr and over 800 rounds of Federal Lake City XM193.  That ok for a start or anything else recommended?
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 4:14:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Thank you for the info.  I bought 10 pmags and have 200 rounds of Hornady tap 75gr and over 800 rounds of Federal Lake City XM193.  That ok for a start or anything else recommended?

Most members here will probably say you're out of ammo when you're below 1k. I used to think that was crazy talk but then I started buying up ammo (mostly Prvi M855 but also some of their 69gr HP stuff) and started stocking up. I'm at 2500 rounds right now and would like to have ~5k before the year is out. In my opinion, for you being new to the game, 1k rounds is ok - especially if you've got some of that TAP goodness.

The consensus here on mags is pretty similar to the one on ammo. But just like above, ten pmags is a good start for you IMO.

Now, do you have pics?

ETA: A good cleaning kit and some spare parts (BCG for example, if you can find one) are some good things to pick up should you get the chance.
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 4:57:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Most members here will probably say you're out of ammo when you're below 1k. I used to think that was crazy talk but then I started buying up ammo (mostly Prvi M855 but also some of their 69gr HP stuff) and started stocking up. I'm at 2500 rounds right now and would like to have ~5k before the year is out. In my opinion, for you being new to the game, 1k rounds is ok - especially if you've got some of that TAP goodness.

The consensus here on mags is pretty similar to the one on ammo. But just like above, ten pmags is a good start for you IMO.

Now, do you have pics?

ETA: A good cleaning kit and some spare parts (BCG for example, if you can find one) are some good things to pick up should you get the chance.

I'm good to go on the cleaning kit.  What and how many parts would a good spare part kit have in it?  Jim put in a gapless gas ring and Crane O-ring.
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 5:05:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Now, do you have pics?

I'm good to go on the cleaning kit.  What and how many parts would a good spare part kit have in it?  Jim put in a gapless gas ring and Crane O-ring.

Speaking liberally, a whole other (complete) bolt carrier group is a good idea. For some, this gets condensed to a spare bolt and firing pin, and for others, just a spare extractor. It never hurts to have a spare firing pin retaining pin... those fuckers go everywhere.
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 5:14:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Congrats on the rifle.

Jim is a great guy. Last time I was out there, I ordered 9 P-mags for an "internet buddy" of mine. He sent me the money, and I drove all the way out there to order them.
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 5:18:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Congrats on the rifle.

Jim is a great guy. Last time I was out there, I ordered 9 P-mags for an "internet buddy" of mine. He sent me the money, and I drove all the way out there to order them.

You must be a great friend.     We need to go test both of our new rifles out soon.
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 5:49:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Mags and ammo. Mags and ammo.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top