Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/25/2009 12:19:52 PM EDT
In changing my stock the other day, I notice that my buffer retainer pin was bent, I was kinda bummed since I wanted to try out the new stock, but heard tell by some folks at the local gun store (whose reliability is questionable) that you don't absolutely need a buffer retainer pin, its just there to keep stuff from flying out when the upper is removed.  

Is this accurate information?  Do you need to have a buffer retainer pin to ensure no damage or problems with firing?
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 12:25:18 PM EDT
[#1]
it desnt make sense
you dont need it but it does somenthing....it means you do need it!

soon or later you have to field strip you AR in order to clean it
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 12:40:53 PM EDT
[#2]
It will be tricky, but yes, the pin can be absent.

However - I would be more concerned why the pin is bent in the first place.
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 12:44:50 PM EDT
[#3]
the sole function of this pin is to prevent the buffer from flying out when you field strip, and to allow you to easily reassemble the upper and lower, so yeah you need it, although it does nothing when the rifle is assembled.
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 12:47:49 PM EDT
[#4]
You don't need it.  The hammer will catch the buffer when you disassemble it.  Reassembly is only slightly more complicated than without it.  I don't use one in my Cav15, and there are plenty of other guys that don't as well.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 11:22:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks all for your answers.  I have one on order (lord knows how long that will be) but I was just wondering if I could fire the weapon without it (I am new to the AR platform).
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top