Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/24/2009 2:03:47 PM EDT
I have three new barrels (threaded 1/2 X 28) and three flash hiders - two vortex, one Noveske KX3.  There is one combo, the exact one I need to work, where the KX3 will not screw onto a particular barrel without cross-threading.  All other combos work with no hesitation, roughness or even a hint of cross-threading.  

Does It seem like I need to re-tap the threads on the KX3?
Link Posted: 3/24/2009 2:17:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Let me see if I understand you correctly.

You have 3 barrels. All 3 flash hiders work on 2 barrels.

On the third barrel the 2 vortex flash hiders work and the KX3 does not.

Sounds like bad threads on the barrel.

Link Posted: 3/24/2009 2:38:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Yep, you got it.  The challenge is to determine which threads are corrupt.  The barrel threads look cleaner, so my guess is that the KX3 is the culprit.  I ordered a tap/die set from Brownells - hopefully a little cleanup will solve it.
Link Posted: 3/24/2009 2:49:03 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep, you got it. The challenge is to determine which threads are corrupt. The barrel threads look cleaner, so my guess is that the KX3 is the culprit. I ordered a tap/die set from Brownells - hopefully a little cleanup will solve it.
Or the threads on the barel are slightly undersized.

Link Posted: 3/24/2009 5:06:03 PM EDT
[#4]
What's the serial # on your KX3?

It seems that I'm having issues with mine, #06266, threading on my Noveske barrel.
Link Posted: 3/24/2009 5:23:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
What's the serial # on your KX3?

It seems that I'm having issues with mine, #06266, threading on my Noveske barrel.

Mine is #05846 (~ one month old). I wrote and heard back from Noveske today, and they implied that some barrel threads tend to be over sized where as the KX3 is slightly undersized. I guess I just have a combo with an extreme mismatch. I hope the tap/die from Brownells will take care of the issue. I'll let you know how it works out.

Link Posted: 3/24/2009 8:27:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Use ReconBob's trick for assembling barrels onto Thompson receivers - pick up some valve-seat grinding compound from the auto parts store and smear onto the threads of the barrel. Work the FH  back and forth a few times. Get it started straight.  Once it goes on to the end, clean up the threads real good. It will screw on easily.....You can make grinding paste from oil and some of the carborundum  "dust" from under your grinder!
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 3:20:24 PM EDT
[#7]
I got the Brownells tap today and re-cut the threads on the KX3.  There was definitely a difference according to the tap - enough that the barrel would only go in up to the point where I'd tapped.  After a full pass all is well.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top