Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/6/2009 6:12:23 AM EDT
I just received my Magpul XT rail covers and was dissapointed to see that they will not properly fit my Troy DI rail system. Because of the two piece locking design of the Troy DI, the side rails have areas on the end that where a groove is skipped. I managed to get one of the XT's on there and because of the way it lines up, part of the cover fits down into the grooves while one end does not. This results in the covers not properly snapping down into the grooves on one end so they won't sit level. Of course, I could shorten them but then I'd only be covering part of the rail which would be lame, to say the least. Does anybody know of other rail covers that perhaps lock/mount to rails differently and will fit this rail properly? I am way too picky about my gear to just force the XT's on and call it good. Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 3/6/2009 6:20:18 AM EDT
[#1]
TangoDown and KAC covers should be fine, although I had trouble getting them on my MRF-DI rail, but that's a different issue (rail is out-of-spec).
Link Posted: 3/6/2009 6:21:39 AM EDT
[#2]
TD or ladder rails
Link Posted: 3/6/2009 7:04:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
TangoDown and KAC covers should be fine, although I had trouble getting them on my MRF-DI rail, but that's a different issue (rail is out-of-spec).

I recently picked up a troy Di rail and found my rails out of spec also. The rails are tapered and too wide on one end.  I sent an email to Troy and received a prepaid shipping label so send it back. Hope the new one is better.
Link Posted: 3/6/2009 7:08:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I recently picked up a troy Di rail and found my rails out of spec also. The rails are tapered and too wide on one end.  I sent an email to Troy and received a prepaid shipping label so send it back. Hope the new one is better.

Good luck with that!  It will probably be out of spec too.

Link Posted: 3/6/2009 7:21:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's exactly what's wrong with mine...
I sent them an email a while ago, but haven't heard anything back.  Time to resend it.
Link Posted: 3/6/2009 7:34:02 AM EDT
[#6]
I installed MAGPUL XTM's on a TROY MRF and they worked out prefect. No issues whatsoever.
Link Posted: 3/6/2009 7:41:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I sent them an email a while ago, but haven't heard anything back.  What address did you use?

I used this one:
[email protected]

Sounds like they had or have a bad batch of rails.

here is what my rails measured at.
The bottom is from .849 to .833
Left side rail is from .841 to .830
Right rail is from .841 to .830
Top rail  from .841 to .832

My KAC rails wouldn't fit at all and my TD Scar rails would only go on half way. I got a set of XT cover to fit but they needed some surgery to adapt to the goofy rail pattern with the screw areas and sling swivel mounts.
Link Posted: 3/6/2009 7:42:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I installed MAGPUL XTM's on a TROY MRF and they worked out prefect. No issues whatsoever.

The MRF is a different animal when it comes to rail covers.
Link Posted: 3/6/2009 8:25:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The MRF is a different animal when it comes to rail covers.

Damn, that's too bad, because I was about to say the same.
Link Posted: 3/6/2009 8:47:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Oh......

The issue is with the XT covers. My bad, but the XTM fit's fine...
Link Posted: 3/6/2009 9:10:25 AM EDT
[#11]
That's odd, my XT's fit fine on my MRF.
Link Posted: 3/6/2009 11:42:01 AM EDT
[#12]
My XTM's will not fit over the ends where the QD holes are. However, I have the Scout light on the right and I going to install the DD QD sling mount on the left so I may not be a big issue for me.
Link Posted: 3/6/2009 8:35:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
That's odd, my XT's fit fine on my MRF.

Apples to oranges. Look at a picture of the DI rail. The MRF is a continuous rail where the DI had a section on each end where it bolts together and also where the quick detach sling swivels go. Both cause problems with rail covers fitting along with what seems to be a problem even keeping the rails width in spec.
Link Posted: 3/6/2009 9:33:57 PM EDT
[#14]
I use KAC and have no problems with them fitting on the rail.  Troy now makes their own covers......
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 4:24:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I sent them an email a while ago, but haven't heard anything back.  What address did you use?

I used this one:
[email protected]

My KAC rails wouldn't fit at all and my TD Scar rails would only go on half way. I got a set of XT cover to fit but they needed some surgery to adapt to the goofy rail pattern with the screw areas and sling swivel mounts.

Fyi -
My replacement from Troy was delivered today.  Their service department
doesn't communicate very well, but they finally came through.
Rails are in-spec.  
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 7:14:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I used this one:
[email protected]

Fyi -
My replacement from Troy was delivered today.  Their service department
doesn't communicate very well, but they finally came through.
Rails are in-spec.  

Good to hear. I just sent mine off this monday. I hope mine will be in spec so at least who ever buys my replacement will be happy. I went with a DD Omega so when the replacement comes  back it goes up for sale.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 7:17:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Should'a bought Samson's rails.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 7:26:37 PM EDT
[#18]
My XT's fit fine on my Troy DI.  The area you are talking about around the sling swivel hole, all I did was take an Xacto knife and cut out the "rib" in the back ofthe panel and it fits on just fine.  The XT's have a fair amount of flex so a rail being slightly out of spec won't really change anything.  All you have to do is be a little inventive and adapt your gear to your needs.  This is not a fault of the rail or the XT.  The "rib" in the back of the panel must be there so that the panel doesn't just slide off.  You really don't even need that area of the rail covered for any real tactical reason except for looks.  I don't understand the line you wrote when you said "you are too good to force them on and call it good"...huh?  They needed to be "forced" on, so that they fit tight and won't pop off.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 7:52:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Should'a bought Samson's rails.

It's just another flavor of rail. Nothing special about them and they do require removal of the delta ring.
For a drop in rail the RAS has in spec rails and is the most solid I have used.  For a easy to install free float the Omega works great and doesn't require any mods to the rifle.

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top