Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/2/2009 11:27:12 AM EDT
that my Motorlola cellular phone is more scratch resistant than any of my ARs.  Really it's freakin ridiculous how easy they scratch.  Every time I handle them a new shiny silver spot appears.  No jewelry on my hands and not even shooting them.  Why can't they make a real finish for these things.
Link Posted: 3/2/2009 11:50:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Gunkote works great on  really clean parked steel.

just have to bake it, is the only draw back.
Link Posted: 3/2/2009 12:22:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Make sue you empty the ammo and remove PMapgs before putting it in your oven
Link Posted: 3/2/2009 12:54:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Not normal. The anodizing on ARs is very resiliant. You must have alien blood in your sweat.
Perhaps you should start an "Age your AR" company. Then the tacticool crowd could stop throwing theirs down the driveway. (I kid)

What brand of AR are you talking about?
Link Posted: 3/2/2009 1:03:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Not normal. The anodizing on ARs is very resiliant. You must have alien blood in your sweat.
Perhaps you should start an "Age your AR" company. Then the tacticool crowd could stop throwing theirs down the driveway. (I kid)

+1

Anyway, it is not a Colt Python, shoot that bitch, she likes it rough........

Link Posted: 3/2/2009 1:05:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Take a black sharpie to the nicks.

Hides them great.
Link Posted: 3/2/2009 1:26:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Having a few dings adds character dude.  Have fun with it now and re-finish later.  It's a gun and should be treated like one.  If you can't handle being rough with it then lock it up in your safe and buy a 'beater'.
Link Posted: 3/2/2009 2:34:57 PM EDT
[#7]
The other thing is that its aluminum.  The best coating in the world wont help if the substrate its bonded to yields when bumped or scratched.  In other worlds a given coating will seem more durable on a harder receiver material like steel.  

I dont know.  I've got safe queen ARs and beat-em-up ARs.  They're both maintained well, its just how I worry about bumps and bruises.  Right now I'm in the process of trying to make the mental leap that my MRP is a beat-em-up AR.  Its just like getting the first dent on your new car.  Its painful, but it helps you move on.

Don
Link Posted: 3/2/2009 2:43:38 PM EDT
[#8]
The coatings on my AR are very scratch resistant except the stock castle nut and the Birchwood Casey Instant Touch-up pen in flat black takes care of that, but I've found it hard to scratch the coating on any of the other parts.

What kind of rifle do you have?
Link Posted: 3/2/2009 3:22:43 PM EDT
[#9]
A properly anodized AR will not scratch easily.  If you AR is scratching easily, showing shiny metal, I suspect the finish is not applied properly.  Who is the manufacturer?

ETA: My opinion is based off owning receivers (upper and/or lower) from LaRue Tactical , Daniel Defense, Stag, CMMG, Spikes Tactical, Rock River Arms, DPMS, Del-Ton, Sabre Defence, and Bushmaster
Link Posted: 3/2/2009 3:48:48 PM EDT
[#10]
That's why I do not care much for anodized finishes, as it does scratch/mar easily. With that being said, ION-BOND would be the way to go, except it's about $425.00 to have it done. I have found that either GUNKOTE or MOLYRESIN applied OVER an anodized surface is quite good.
Link Posted: 3/2/2009 5:59:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Shoot, Clean then touch up each time if you want her to look pretty.

Birchwood Casey Super Black Touch-Up Pen

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/23432-1.html
Link Posted: 3/2/2009 6:04:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Noobs
Link Posted: 3/2/2009 6:40:53 PM EDT
[#13]
ARs get shiney spots from use... deal with it.
Link Posted: 3/2/2009 6:45:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
A properly anodized AR will not scratch easily.  If you AR is scratching easily, showing shiny metal, I suspect the finish is not applied properly.  Who is the manufacturer?

Pretty much. I haven't had the problems you are talking about. I've had colts, bushies, oly's, and DPMS.
Link Posted: 3/2/2009 6:46:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

+1

who cares, its not going to the prom
Link Posted: 3/2/2009 7:31:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Ads character
Link Posted: 3/2/2009 7:36:32 PM EDT
[#17]
How many times do I have to explain.  Gauntlets, while really cool, are not appropriate range gloves!

Joking aside.  It's a tool, wear does add character.

Link Posted: 3/2/2009 7:51:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Yes.  It's a tool, it's gonna happen.
Link Posted: 3/2/2009 8:13:28 PM EDT
[#19]
go shoot the thing, that's what is for!!!!!!
Link Posted: 3/2/2009 8:32:37 PM EDT
[#20]
I get the very distinct feeling some of these posters are being less than truthful about how they "use" their ARs ... go on, put your SLR cameras away I won't look.
Link Posted: 3/21/2009 1:27:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

Anyway, it is not a Colt Python, shoot that bitch, she likes it rough........

RRA mostly...
Link Posted: 3/21/2009 1:31:45 PM EDT
[#22]
krylon /
Link Posted: 3/21/2009 1:42:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Ha!

Fellas, don't let the silly little inadequate posts number fool you.  I have been around for awhile and own quality stuff.  BM and Double Star is the best on finishes so far, Not impressed with LMT's finish and I had a bad experience with their tooling.  Don't get me wrong I love my LMT MRP but I had to send the first one back because it was machined wrong and it had passed inspection!!!  The second one is excellent...great shooter very reliable..

I think for the money and what you are getting over all, Stag is one of the best deals in the AR world.

And no I don't recognize Colt... and right fully so...for several reasons.
Link Posted: 3/21/2009 1:44:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I get the very distinct feeling some of these posters are being less than truthful about how they "use" their ARs ... go on, put your SLR cameras away I won't look.

Link Posted: 3/21/2009 1:51:05 PM EDT
[#25]
True, but your AR can shoot right through your motorola phone.

Link Posted: 3/21/2009 2:36:55 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 3/21/2009 3:30:19 PM EDT
[#27]
Most likely it is residue from metal that touched the gun like in the brass deflector.

Link Posted: 3/21/2009 4:31:30 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Most likely it is residue from metal that touched the gun like in the brass deflector.

I wish, but it is unfortunately bright silver aluminum.
Link Posted: 3/21/2009 5:47:23 PM EDT
[#29]
Bad guys dont give a shit what it looks like.....they just know that it hurts....but only for a second.....shoot that mutha.....and dont worry bout some bright spots...just lets you know that it is yours......
Link Posted: 3/21/2009 6:13:22 PM EDT
[#30]
The M16 at work is more shiny metal than black, and it still goes bang.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 7:55:37 AM EDT
[#31]
Fellas, I not concerned about the functionality of the weapon once it has a nick in the finish.  I've got several shooters and Many more safe queens.  I have a rifle or two that are $1800 guns that I don't clean until they are downright filthy.  It doesn't bother me the least to beat them up throw them in the truck when I'm done.    I just think the finishes are touch and go on many AR's.  They could be better.

It's nice to have nice stuff.  And the silly little shiny spots always appear on the stuff you try to keep nice.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 8:21:02 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ha!

Fellas, don't let the silly little inadequate posts number fool you.  I have been around for awhile and own quality stuff.  BM and Double Star is the best on finishes so far, Not impressed with LMT's finish and I had a bad experience with their tooling.  Don't get me wrong I love my LMT MRP but I had to send the first one back because it was machined wrong and it had passed inspection!!!  The second one is excellent...great shooter very reliable..

I think for the money and what you are getting over all, Stag is one of the best deals in the AR world.

Good.
More Pony's for me .

Edited to add :

If anyone is unsatisfied with the finish on their new Colt and they want to trade it for an equivalent model of
Stag or similar brand AR that has a  prettier finish  , they can feel free to ask me .

I'll seriously consider a strait trade of a perfectly pretty finished Stag for your ugly finished new Colt .    

Just to be a nice guy and help you out.  
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 8:26:17 AM EDT
[#33]
If your not bumping it against metal and dinging the aluminum then the anodizing shouldnt be coming off. Is it shiny or dull when not oily? Hard anodizing is a dull flat finish. This is what I prefer. The shinier the finish the thinner the anodizing is. The shiny look will not hold up as well obviously. I have over 15 yrs experience with aluminum and anodizing and in my time I have found that when anodizing flakes it because the parts still had the lubricant/ coolant on them from the machining processes. This will actually take place when the parts are merely handled. Without pics this is hard to say but if you can post them I could tell you. Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 9:42:04 AM EDT
[#34]
It's like your football helmet, the more marks, the better.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 10:06:00 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
It's like your football helmet, the more marks, the better.

true, but that was usually the linebackers and linemen. then there are us wide receivers and defensive backs who liked our arm bands, towels, white sox, and the frillz to go along with our skillz. scars are cool to have, but the first few always hurt the worst.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 5:25:00 PM EDT
[#36]
Wonder if the OP's scratches are actually some other metal deposited on the rough black finish?
Got a bunch of brass scratches on my AR in basic; thought I was going to get in a world of shit for defacing Gummint property.  Hoppes (and a bristle brush) took it off.
(Broke off one of the tabs on a set of triangle handguards, too...wonder they didn't keep me in the army forever? )
Moon
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 9:56:59 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ha!

You don't "recognize" Colt for several reasons?  Please list at least SOME of them.

Link Posted: 3/29/2009 2:40:29 AM EDT
[#38]
The ano / finish on my 2 LMT`s are the same Quality as Colt,Bushy,etc!
I bought them several years back

Anyway its not a big deal since you can go to Wally World and buy paint
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 2:43:12 AM EDT
[#39]
That's what it's for silly

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top