Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 2/25/2009 1:10:18 PM EDT
Wondering why I haven't heard much about this on the forums. It's exactly what I've been hoping for... Thank You HK!

MR 556 - Civilian Version of HK416

MR556 RIFLE

A direct descendent of the HK416, the MR556 is a semi-automatic rifle developed by Heckler & Koch as a premium level commercial/civilian firearm. Like the HK416, the MR556 is a major product improvement of conventional AR-type carbines and rifles.

Using the HK-proprietary gas piston system found on the HK416 and G36, the MR556 does not introduce propellant gases and carbon fouling back into the rifle's interior, making it the most reliable of any AR-type firearm.

The MR556 will be produced at Heckler & Koch's new manufacturing facility at Newington, New Hampshire from American and German made components. To conform to German export regulations, certain design changes made in the MR556 prevents the rifle's upper receiver from being used on other AR-style firearms.

The MR556 uses many of the assemblies and accessories originally developed for the HK416 series arms including the HK free-floating fourquadrant rail system/handguard. This system allows all current accessories, sights, lights, and aimers used on M4/M16-type weapons to be fitted to the MR556. The HK rail system can be installed and removed without tools and returns to zero when reinstalled.

Like the famous HK416, the MR556 uses a barrel produced by Heckler & Koch's famous cold hammer forging process. The highest quality steel is used in this unique manufacturing process producing a barrel that provides superior accuracy for more than 20,000 rounds with minimal degradation of accuracy and muzzle velocity.

Projected availability of the MR556 in the USA is late 2009.

Link Posted: 2/25/2009 1:11:43 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm not into the proprietary upper.

Link Posted: 2/25/2009 1:16:12 PM EDT
[#2]

Link Posted: 2/25/2009 1:24:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I'm not into the proprietary upper.

agreed 100%

they had me until that particular bit...

Link Posted: 2/25/2009 1:24:27 PM EDT
[#4]
It is nice to see a LWRC clone.
Link Posted: 2/25/2009 1:41:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Yeah, because LWRC made piston ARs before HK....not.
Link Posted: 2/25/2009 1:42:02 PM EDT
[#6]
I liked the rounded rubber butt pad on the stock better.
Link Posted: 2/25/2009 2:01:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Don't get out much do ya?

Link Posted: 2/25/2009 2:03:05 PM EDT
[#8]
HK, because you suck and we hate you!
Link Posted: 2/25/2009 2:11:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Meh.
Link Posted: 2/25/2009 2:17:09 PM EDT
[#10]
And you think post-election prices are bad? Imagine what the price for that rifle will be if it's ever actually released here. I'm glad HKs have no appeal to me.

ETA: I almost forgot. jcrowl will buy it!
Link Posted: 2/25/2009 2:20:31 PM EDT
[#11]
I wonder if you'll have to have a credit score of 720 to get financed to buy one?

My D.I. ARs will serve me just fine.
Link Posted: 2/25/2009 2:23:27 PM EDT
[#12]
"certain design changes made in the MR556 prevents the rifle's upper receiver from being used on other AR-style firearms:\"

Pass.

Link Posted: 2/25/2009 2:24:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
HK, because you suck and we hate you!

You are correct sir.
HK can pound it up their ass sideways.
Link Posted: 2/25/2009 2:25:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes the M6A1 and M6A2 came out before the MR556.

My LWRC is real.  I can touch it, smell it, shoot it.

To me the HK is make believe.
Link Posted: 2/25/2009 2:25:47 PM EDT
[#15]
I wonder if there are any compromises in the design

Meh, I would pick one up but betcha its double the cost of a MRP CQBPS16
Link Posted: 2/25/2009 2:26:35 PM EDT
[#16]
By the time you can actually buy one of these they will probably be illegal to own.

Nice goin' HK, you should have produced the 416 while you could.
Link Posted: 2/25/2009 2:30:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes the M6A1 and M6A2 came out before the MR556.

My LWRC is real.  I can touch it, smell it, shoot it.

To me the HK is make believe.

The development of the LWRC was spurred by the development of the HK416.
Link Posted: 2/25/2009 2:31:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I wonder if you'll have to have a credit score of 720 to get financed to buy one?

My D.I. ARs will serve me just fine.

Ask Obama for some bailout money to get one!
Link Posted: 2/25/2009 2:32:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Buy the time you can actually buy one of these they will probably be illegal to own.

Nice goin' HK, you should have produced the 416 while you could.

and made it compatable with every AR in existance as far as parts.......you cant even fit the stupid upper on a standard AR lower

HK=FAIL
Link Posted: 2/25/2009 2:37:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

There were concept pistons AR way before the HK416.  Why does HK get all the credit and love?
Link Posted: 2/25/2009 2:38:53 PM EDT
[#21]
HK=FAIL

THIS
Link Posted: 2/25/2009 2:42:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 2/25/2009 2:42:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

There were concept pistons AR way before the HK416.  Why does HK get all the credit and love?

Sure, others came before, and failed. But this recent wave of piston rifles and conversions came after the (success of the) HK416.
Link Posted: 2/25/2009 2:47:18 PM EDT
[#24]

I'd take an LMT piston gun over that HK in a heartbeat.

No contest. LMT has it beat hands down.

Link Posted: 2/25/2009 2:49:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

By what measure?

If this thing is identical to the Hk416 in regards to reliability and function, it has every gas piston beat. I realize it's the in thing to hate HK, but the HK416 is a superior weapon to the LWRC and LMT.
Link Posted: 2/25/2009 3:05:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 2/25/2009 3:06:03 PM EDT
[#27]
"certain design changes made in the MR556 prevents the rifle's upper receiver from being used on other AR-style firearms:\"  

I'm not surprised at all about the upper being only used on HK's lower. Its all about making money. If you had the choice of purchasing a HK 416 upper, or purchasing the whole weapon and spending about another $800.00.  Its easy to see what would sell faster. With HK its about profit margins and not so much about putting out the best product at the best price. If you think about it the big companies such as HK, Colt, FN, and others make most of there money by selling to military and police. The civilian market is sometimes hit and miss.That's just my opinion.

Link Posted: 2/25/2009 3:21:40 PM EDT
[#28]
Look, few of us are fighting in the sandbox, so whatever supposed advantage you get from the 416, is completely lost in having no parts supply should something go wrong; and since it's a fairly new design, you can count on something going wrong.  And if by chance you need parts, you get to deal with H&K's notorious, oh, you're not a major military or LE agency, so it just sucks to be you, customer service.

Take care of your AR and it will take care of you, simple as that.  Do that and it will work in the Middle East, so we should have no problems (and really few excuses) with functioning here in the US.

The AR/M16 is thoroughly military tested and although not perfect, it works pretty damn well.  Maybe it's just me, but if I'm going to stake my life on something, I tend to stake it on the Devil I know.
Link Posted: 2/25/2009 3:31:31 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

By what measure?

If this thing is identical to the Hk416 in regards to reliability and function, it has every gas piston beat. I realize it's the in thing to hate HK, but the HK416 is a superior weapon to the LWRC and LMT.

A) I don't hate HK.

B) You better be prepared to qualify your "the HK416 is a superior weapon to the LWRC and LMT" statement if you're going to claim that.

C) LMT is made in the States, has highly interchangable parts within the AR world, HK absolutely does not. LMT's piston system is by no means inferior to HK's and frankly offers access, simplicity and ease of use easily on par with HK. HK charges ridiculous premiums on a product that is of no better quality.

Why don't you tell me what HK has on LMT?

Before you answer, educate yourself here.....

REMOVED, no linking to sites hostile to this one, ARFCOM staff rules not mine~Cold

Copy and paste relevant text for those that need it instead! It is good info.

Link Posted: 2/25/2009 3:38:47 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

By what measure?

A) I don't hate HK.

B) LMT is made in the States, has highly interchangable parts within the AR world, HK absolutely does not. LMT's piston system is by no means inferior to HK's and frankly offers access, simplicity and ease of use easily on par with HK. HK charges ridiculous premiums on a product that is of no better quality.

REMOVED, no linking to sites hostile to this one, ARFCOM staff rules not mine~Cold

Like Cold said, the system faired better than all other systems when tested. I'll take the more reliable system combined with HK quality. To me, this doesn't have to be compatiable with other systems. That's not important at all to me.
Link Posted: 2/25/2009 3:40:31 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 2/25/2009 3:41:02 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

By what measure?

A) I don't hate HK.

B) LMT is made in the States, has highly interchangable parts within the AR world, HK absolutely does not. LMT's piston system is by no means inferior to HK's and frankly offers access, simplicity and ease of use easily on par with HK. HK charges ridiculous premiums on a product that is of no better quality.

Like Cold said, the system faired better than all other systems when tested. I'll take the more reliable system combined with HK quality. To me, this doesn't have to be compatiable with other systems. That's not important at all to me.

I didn't ask Cold, I asked you. You said it, you claimed it...back it up.
Link Posted: 2/25/2009 3:41:32 PM EDT
[#33]

Link Posted: 2/25/2009 3:47:15 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 2/25/2009 4:38:23 PM EDT
[#35]
Thanks Cold.  I have been telling people here about that link, but I'm glad you posted the quote from SMGLee.  I am looking forward to more of his testing of the LMT...especially when he gets back from Larry Vickers class.  Hopefully he will share what Larry might have to say about the LMT also.

I know I really like mine.  I could have had any other piston (except HK), but I chose LMT because of their versatility.

Thanks again.  When SMGLee posts more information over on the 'other' site, I will be glad to copy and paste it here if you like.
Link Posted: 2/25/2009 4:54:21 PM EDT
[#36]
You can already buy MR223s in Canada. Same rifle but all German made. $4200 CAN seems high but even a LMT piston is $2800 CAN  new here.
Link Posted: 2/25/2009 5:37:31 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Pass.

^^^ This.

A day late and a dollar or so short HK.
Link Posted: 2/25/2009 5:41:49 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:

By what measure?

I AM NOT A PISTON FAN(and after having to fix an LMT buis myself with a damn dremmel, not much of a fan of LMT either at the moment)

but, playing devil's advocate I can think of a few things I like better with the LMT piston:

1)Standard height upper receiver More choices of iron sights, mounts, and depending on your pickiness, maybe even optics.

2)Monolithic upper and rail Your rail may bolt/screw/snap/QD into place but nothin beats being machined out of the same one-piece forging.

3)Piston assembly is easily removable without removing anything else Right out the front is kinda slick.

The two big advantages I see the Hk having over the LMT

2) It has already beaten the real M4 in government tests  It makes me feel kinda gritty to say that, but there it is.

3) It's made by Hk  Love it or hate it, Kool-aid or whatever, that will help sales.

Tex78
Link Posted: 2/25/2009 11:45:57 PM EDT
[#39]
whoop pee doo

i don't see anything about the LWRC M6A3, the greastest piston AR of all time.
Link Posted: 2/26/2009 12:12:34 AM EDT
[#40]
+1 George
HK sent a team of secret agents to try to duplicate the LWRC design. Very few people know this( my ninja clan has been observing HK for a while).They did a pretty good job. HK IMHO has been  spotty on a couple of guns I have personally spent time with. A good friend bought an unfired HK91 and we played hell trying to make it function properly. HK customer service is like the Le Car...(hard to find). I will take an MP5 though if one of you will let one go sub $1500. Actually I'll take a few at that price. Transferrable FA would be nice.
Link Posted: 2/26/2009 12:44:50 AM EDT
[#41]
This will become the standard patrol rifle after it is released. gear-gueer cops and police cheifs will spend $4000 per rifle at taxpayer expense because the Goatbang County Sheriffs office SWAT team needs the absolute best in case there is an active shooter situation at the Circle-K. Even better if these rediculous and unnecessary SWAT teams get federal funding for their new HK toys. I can see it now... State University campus bike cops with HK416s.  

HK....Helping keep us safe from ourselves.
Link Posted: 2/26/2009 2:22:28 AM EDT
[#42]
let go of the hate bro' it's killing your personality.
Link Posted: 2/26/2009 2:28:51 AM EDT
[#43]
I was into piston guns before piston guns were cool! (Rhino Gas system)

If I go piston again, I'll go with LWRCI

btw: I own 5 HK's

Link Posted: 2/26/2009 3:07:26 AM EDT
[#44]
For my part Hk has never impressed me.

The pistols suck erganomicly unless you have the hands of Shaq.
The SL8's reciever would fracture on every single gun though many owners never noticed probably mostly because theirs never left the safe.
The XM8 also had a problem with major breakages in the SCAR trials which lost them the contest.
My brother actually had a g36 sighting system for use on an SL-8. It was the worst piece of junk sight I ever saw. The optics were dark, had terrible clarity, and less field of view than I ever imagined possible. He listed it on gunbroker the day he got it.
My buddies G3 is unreliable, dirty, and generally feels like a giant slow moving dinosaur. If the nasty, filthy, brass mangling chamber of that gun is not an example of half assed jerry rigged engineering I don't know what is.

Perhaps I have been alone in my personal experiences and perhaps I have been misinformed but for my part I just find the company's products not so special. Add that to the fact they go out of their way to be a pain in the ass to civilians on top of charging a fortune. I maintain the only reason people love them so much is that their stuff costs a fortune and is so unavailable that most folks have never used it.

Basically I agree that:
HK can pound it up their ass sideways.

If I wanted a piston gun incompatible with the AR platform I would by the SCAR. It is cheaper, more reliable (at least according to the SCAR trial), can be folded for transport, has an adjustable cheek weld, and has a detachable barrel.
Link Posted: 2/26/2009 4:40:08 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
The pistols suck erganomicly unless you have the hands of Shaq.

They're roughly the same as Sig and Glock. So, maybe this is your problem.

Quoted:
My buddies G3 is unreliable, dirty, and generally feels like a giant slow moving dinosaur. If the nasty, filthy, brass mangling chamber of that gun is not an example of half assed jerry rigged engineering I don't know what is.

Your buddy's rifle can't be a genuine HK. It's probably a kit gun. The HK91 is arguably the most reliable 7.62 nato rifle ever made. It is much more reliable than even an AR15.
Link Posted: 2/26/2009 5:09:38 AM EDT
[#46]
not going to hate on the HK its a nice rifle, but imma stick with my LWRC
Link Posted: 2/26/2009 5:24:38 AM EDT
[#47]
certain design changes made in the MR556 prevents the rifle's upper receiver from being used on other AR-style firearms:

Link Posted: 2/26/2009 5:32:51 AM EDT
[#48]
This is going to make the 3000$ Magpul lower look cheap. You won't be able to afford bullets, but at least you can drown your enemies in cool-aid!
Link Posted: 2/26/2009 5:59:14 AM EDT
[#49]
+1 LMT or POF piston systems.  Heck bushmaster makes piston systems now.  Not exactly HK quality but at least they are mil-spec and interchangeable with AR lowers and parts.  I respect HK for the fine military firearms they produce but passed on their realistic availability in the US civilian market.
Link Posted: 2/26/2009 6:13:22 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
This is going to make the 3000$ Magpul lower look cheap. You won't be able to afford bullets, but at least you can drown your enemies in cool-aid!

lol, good point. but I live for kool-aid...

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top