Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/17/2009 11:42:37 AM EDT
what's everyone's take on the mcfarland gas ring setup? is it a worthwhile upgrade or a solution looking for a problem?
has anyone actually ever had their gas rings line up and cause a problem?
Link Posted: 2/17/2009 11:46:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Even if all three gaps are lined up, they will still hold a seal.

I always stagger mine after cleaning my BCG, and the next time I take it apart, they are never the same. The rings rotate from use.

I have heard about rifles still cycling with only one gas ring installed.
Link Posted: 2/17/2009 11:52:38 AM EDT
[#2]
I like the Mcfarland cause its 1 piece instead of 3 but the gaps are a myth when you put a bolt in the carreir the rings squeeze together s the gaps are non existant.Yes a bolt will run ith 1 ring.So for me its logistics I can stock 1type of ring for all my bolts 6 mcfarlands to what would be 18 singles.
Link Posted: 2/17/2009 11:54:43 AM EDT
[#3]
They are priced the same as standard gas rings, so i'd get them as backups or replacements for the 5,000 round replacement.

However, there is no need to actively replace gas rings that are working fine.

As a reminder, you check your gas rings by standing the entire bolt carrier group on the bolt.  If the carrier slips downwards, you need new rings.
Link Posted: 2/17/2009 11:55:15 AM EDT
[#4]
I like them because I don't have a bunch of single rings floating around my field repair kit. They can take some break in time as they fit tight on some bolt/carriers  though.
Link Posted: 2/17/2009 11:55:26 AM EDT
[#5]
The MacFartlands are nonsense.  The original rings offer redundancy.

If stocking extra gas rings is a logistical problem.... uh...   WOW!
Link Posted: 2/17/2009 11:56:28 AM EDT
[#6]
okay good info, thank you so for basically the same price as 3 single's one mcfarland is just easier.
Link Posted: 2/17/2009 12:13:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The MacFartlands are nonsense.  The original rings offer redundancy.

If stocking extra gas rings is a logistical problem.... uh...   WOW!

All right, Mr negativity is back. So what doesn't work about the Mcfarland rings?  Or is it just something you don't like which makes them nonsense.
Link Posted: 2/17/2009 12:14:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Even if all three gaps are lined up, they will still hold a seal.

This ^. let me add that it will function with only one gas ring as well. Proper maintance (change things b4 they break) and you will be fine with the standard gas rings.
Link Posted: 2/17/2009 1:07:02 PM EDT
[#9]
I have found that because of the extremely tight fit of the McFarland ring, it accellerates the ID wear of the carrier.
Link Posted: 2/17/2009 1:14:56 PM EDT
[#10]
I have no such wear in my carrier after 5k rounds using it.Its also made of the same material as a single ring.Where chromelining is twice as hard as steel and using a good lube I dont see the problem.Maybe if you run it dry.
Link Posted: 2/17/2009 1:20:49 PM EDT
[#11]
IIRC, according to "The Black Rifle" Vol. II, wasn't a McFarland ring a part of the upgrade package to some older M4's, in addition to the new extractor spring and o-ring parts???

I don't use them myself, however.  Never had much trouble with the standard setup.
Link Posted: 2/17/2009 1:39:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
They are priced the same as standard gas rings, so i'd get them as backups or replacements for the 5,000 round replacement.

As a reminder, you check your gas rings by standing the entire bolt carrier group on the bolt.  If the carrier slips downwards, you need new rings.

Not quite.

BSW
Link Posted: 2/17/2009 1:47:31 PM EDT
[#13]
McFarland is a genius.

He took a Spiralock piston pin retainer clip and marketed it as a gas ring. I bought a package of twenty several years ago for .65 cents each.

I think Armalite has the pest price at about $1.25 each.

Link Posted: 2/17/2009 1:53:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
McFarland is a genius.

He took a Spiralock piston pin retainer clip and marketed it as a gas ring. I bought a package of twenty several years ago for .65 cents each.

I think Armalite has the pest price at about $1.25 each.

I think he's onto something. http://image.carcraft.com/f/9582417/p5157_image_large.jpg

BSW
Link Posted: 2/17/2009 2:13:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I have found that because of the extremely tight fit of the McFarland ring, it accellerates the ID wear of the carrier.

I've read a number of claims where people indicated that they make the fit too tight and can create various problems as a result ... but I don't have any direct experience with them personally.

However, I also saw another post here recently that suggested that they do seem to work particularly well in  suppressed + SBR applications, FWIW.

Link Posted: 2/17/2009 2:17:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Wow... I read reviews on midway for the mcfarland ring on there (I'd never heard of them before) and people are really worried about those three rings lining up LOL....

I'm reaching the conclusion that most AR owners (or atleast ar15.com members) have way too much time and money on their hands...
Link Posted: 2/17/2009 2:22:42 PM EDT
[#17]
I have informally tested the McFarland rings for my purposes in 3 different guns.
I found no advantage over the 3 ring setup and disliked the extra drag created by the increased friction.

FWIW

Link Posted: 2/17/2009 2:26:24 PM EDT
[#18]
I asked this same question back in November
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=405588

Basically what I got was, "Solution looking for a problem. Totally unnecessary".
Link Posted: 2/17/2009 3:52:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Really? Wore through the hard chrome and all right? I find that hard to believe.
Link Posted: 2/17/2009 4:12:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not quite.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y3/briansmithwins/gasringfit1.gif

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y3/briansmithwins/gasringfit2.gif

BSW

No Quite! That is the method that is taught at Colt armorers schoolfor military and LE guns
Link Posted: 2/17/2009 4:19:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Do you guys even test these things out before you give out bad info.Mcfarland rings place LESS drag on the bolt and cannot be checked by standing the carrier on the bolt as Colt describes for the three ring variety.

Mcfarland rings work fine and do the same job but are continuous and are threaded on on instead of snapped over I have a SBR that has run over 22K rounds through the same bolt with the same Mcfarland ringand it is 100%... Extractor springs have been upgraded twice ejector once Two new firing pins, butttehColt Boltandn gas ring are still GTG.

Link Posted: 2/17/2009 5:38:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Do you guys even test these things out before you give out bad info.Mcfarland rings place LESS drag on the bolt and cannot be checked by standing the carrier on the bolt as Colt describes for the three ring variety.

Mcfarland rings work fine and do the same job but are continuous and are threaded on on instead of snapped over I have a SBR that has run over 22K rounds through the same bolt with the same Mcfarland ring and it is 100%... Extractor springs have been upgraded twice ejector once Two new firing pins, butttehColt Boltandn gas ring are still GTG.

Good points, all.

Not to mention they are one of the recommended changes for the Mk18 Mod0 - CQB-R conversion
Link Posted: 2/17/2009 6:07:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Really? Wore through the hard chrome and all right? I find that hard to believe.

Not all carriers on this planet are hard chromed on the ID.

Link Posted: 2/18/2009 12:52:31 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not all carriers on this planet are hard chromed on the ID.

So then you used an inside micrometer to measure the inside diameter before and after use? What were the measurements?
If you are going to say thing such as it accelerates wear then backing it up with some proof might be helpful.

I will tell you the hardness of the carrier  is much harder than the material the mcfarland ring is made from so you can see why I doubt your statement.
Link Posted: 2/18/2009 5:14:34 PM EDT
[#25]
I was having cycling problems last spring so I did some inspecting on my Bolt carriers and the Mcfarland rings I was using.
The ID of the carriers varied from .500-.503".  The OD of the Mcfarland rings varied from .497-.503".
Guess what happens when you put a .497" ring into a .503" bolt carrier????
Unless you're willing to measure your carrier and then get a batch a rings that you can choose the biggest from, you're taking a chance using them.
With normal rings you're not
I now use normal rings or possibly the RRA rings???

Nick
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top