Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/16/2009 11:03:46 AM EDT
obviously there's something else going on here that I'm not catching to to...

as far as I can tell, a vertical foregrip is just used to hold up the front of your rifle, right? not a particularly high-stress part, near as I can tell, and hardly a critical part of a weapon system, as if it failed, one would just hold the forend like a traditional rifle or perhaps grasp the mag well. am I right?

I ask this question because as I look around, I'm seeing VFGs going for as much as $100+, and for the life of me, I can't understand what a $100 VFG could do that say, a $25 VFG could do.

what am I missing?
Link Posted: 1/16/2009 11:05:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Quick detach capability, strength, fit & finish, etc etc.  You get what you pay for, no matter what the item in question is.
Link Posted: 1/16/2009 11:06:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, I agree the prices are crazy on some of them, but I personally dont want shit
that migh break easy on my rifle. I dont get completely stupid with it though.
Link Posted: 1/16/2009 11:15:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Get a KNights vfg on the EE for $25 and be done with it.
Link Posted: 1/16/2009 11:16:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Don't spend the extra, very large amount of cash on a QD one if you don't need it. They are more used as a "reference point" so your left hand is in the same place on the rail every time you hold your rifle. Some people hold them so their entire hand is on the vertical grip which makes no sense to me. You should be able to get a few of your smaller fingers on the vertical grip and the rest of your hand on the rail for a stable, solid, consistent grip. The ones made out of plastic are for the most part the same thing, I would imagine most of them feel the same as well and they SHOULD all fit on a mil-spec rail the same. Pick one that you feel is comfortable and looks good on your rifle. Hope that helps.
Link Posted: 1/16/2009 11:26:16 AM EDT
[#5]
VFG are just like stocks you have to find what you like then you're pretty much willing to pay whatever the cost to keep using the same type. Most "furniture" is just preference more than saying VFG Brand A is better than Brand B.
Link Posted: 1/16/2009 11:31:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Good advice there....
Link Posted: 1/16/2009 11:38:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Same reason why a Porsche cost more than a Kia....Quality
Link Posted: 1/16/2009 11:48:01 AM EDT
[#8]
I just picked up one of these for my M4 can couldn't be any happier with my purchase

Nice and short!
Link Posted: 1/17/2009 6:21:20 AM EDT
[#9]
What brand is that?
Link Posted: 1/17/2009 6:24:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
What brand is that?

TDI Arms/CAA
Link Posted: 1/17/2009 6:28:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Fit, finish, COMFORT! I had a UTG vfg ($10), FAB defdense grip-pod type vfg ($100), and now a TD vfg ($63). The TD is by far the most comfortable for my smaller hands, while the FAB was convenient, it's bulky.

I too can't see spending $100 for a vfg (no I did not pay that for my FAB)

Go with whatever fits your hand best.
Link Posted: 1/17/2009 7:14:44 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quick detach capability, strength, fit & finish, etc etc.  You get what you pay for, no matter what the item in question is.

This...plastic vs aluminum can be the difference between a $20 and $80 VFG.  I went with the ErgoGrip and couldn't be happier.

Link Posted: 1/17/2009 7:21:05 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

This.

I've even found them for $15.

Link Posted: 1/17/2009 7:33:00 AM EDT
[#14]
You can find a good aluminum VFG for a decent price ($30ish). If you don't need QD capability, it could be what you are looking for. You can't really break an aluminum VFG.

Link Posted: 1/17/2009 7:38:26 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

Hope you are aware that there is a least one soft air version of that grip available, that comes with KAC markings ...

I don't want any toy parts on my rifle! And you?
Link Posted: 1/17/2009 7:56:44 AM EDT
[#16]
pricey but nice.  perfect size, and great feel.
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/CQD-Vertical-Grip-p/cqd%20vpg.htm

this one is also nice looking, but I have no personal experience with it.
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Aluminum-Vertical-Grip-p/vpg%20aluminum.htm
Link Posted: 1/17/2009 8:04:21 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

The 1st link could be the ugliest VFG I have ever seen. Just my opinion though.
Link Posted: 1/17/2009 8:05:47 AM EDT
[#18]
Well, thank you.  It's not a beauty contest, just a survival one.
Link Posted: 1/17/2009 9:54:32 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Your second link does not work "Invalid url"

Another vote for a cheap used Knights, we never had one break on our issued rifles and we beat them up.  I can not see paying a 100 bucks for a vfg, I would much rather hold onto the magwell and save the money.
Link Posted: 1/17/2009 4:27:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

Hope you are aware that there is a least one soft air version of that grip available, that comes with KAC markings ...

I don't want any toy parts on my rifle! And you?

I have a felling that you have a better chance of getting a "bring back" than an airsoft clone.
Link Posted: 1/17/2009 4:59:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I just picked up one of these for my M4 can couldn't be any happier with my purchase

http://store.a51tactical.com/images/svg.jpg

Nice and short!

I have the same one.  Cheap and tough as heck, great size and shape.  No QD though, but I don't ever want to take it off anyway.
Link Posted: 1/17/2009 7:07:04 PM EDT
[#22]

Seen a few issued KAC's get pretty "wobbly" and a few strip out the thread and thus become useless.

There are people who need a QD and one that doesn't need to be slid forward off the rail, and are willing to pay for quality.

If cheap works for you, get cheap. Others will pay what they need to pay for the proper performance level.
Link Posted: 1/18/2009 5:18:20 AM EDT
[#23]
I have been very pleased with the SOG Graphite VFG that I bought for $38. Also here at pkfirearms for $35.

Light weight, won't transmit heat, short enough with grippy surface and mounts solidly.
Link Posted: 1/18/2009 5:25:43 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Nice and short!

I have one of those on one of my carbines and I really like the size, weight and shape. I may eventually upgrade if I can find a version the same shape but with a better mounting design that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.
Link Posted: 1/18/2009 6:23:19 AM EDT
[#25]
I'm using the short aluminum from Spikes. Only thing I don't like is lack of storage. If I could find a plug to fit, it would be great for me. I've not had the temp problem some say aluminum comes with, but I don't shoot full auto. I'd imagine it could get pretty hot in the sandbox.
Link Posted: 1/18/2009 6:35:49 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

+1, My rifles might be covered with magpul, Daniel Defense and Larue, but my VFG is the same Knights VFG that I used in Iraq.
Link Posted: 1/18/2009 7:18:07 AM EDT
[#27]
I've seen KAC VFGs work themselves loose, and would never use one myself. TD are nice and solid but are a major pain to get on and off (though I believe they have QD versions now).

As always, you cannot go wrong with LaRue. Get a FUG and you've got a QD that won't work itself loose as well as modularity to go with whatever your hand likes.

The QD feature cannot be overrated. There are many situations where you might not want a VFG on your rifle, but it's nice to be able to throw one on when you want it. Storage space is also something to look at (batteries, spare bolt, etc)

As with anything, you get what you pay for. Buy CAA or spend $15 and you may cry twice...
Link Posted: 1/18/2009 7:40:54 AM EDT
[#28]
This...a friend of mine uses TWIN MAID grips.  It's a nifty little unique setup that works well.  I'm not sure where he got the mount but it looks like the one from my EgroGrip.
Link Posted: 1/18/2009 7:49:33 AM EDT
[#29]
Get a cheap one to see if YOU actually need one. Then get something that will probably last forever.
Link Posted: 1/18/2009 8:00:38 AM EDT
[#30]
65$ for some barley adequate engineering and a nickle in plastic seems a bit pricey to me too. Compare that to say a PMag: 18$ for good engineering and 1$ in materials seems a much better value.

In fact I was stupid enough to buy one of those 65$ globs of hard to attach hard to remove pieces of plastic from that one manufacturer and was down right upset about it.
Link Posted: 1/18/2009 8:03:54 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Knight is good stuff.  I run one on one of my M4s, but it's mostly a waste as my grip is only on part VFG.
Link Posted: 1/18/2009 8:23:54 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nice and short!

I have the same one.  Cheap and tough as heck, great size and shape.  No QD though, but I don't ever want to take it off anyway.

I cut one of those down to the last ring on the handle (top ring?), works GREAT for the some on the grip, some on the handguard hold.
Link Posted: 1/18/2009 10:49:34 AM EDT
[#33]
Another good, similar VFG topic:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=420070

Someone posted something about buy CAA, spend 15 and cry or something like that. If you are going to post stuff like that you have to understand that thinking in those terms only applies to some equipment, not all of it. Some items are the same design/concept/material throughout most manufacturers. This would be a good example of that. Most VFG's are just a thick plactic with a QD attachment or a bolt. And thats what a CAA VFG is. Its no different then a Knights or any other plastic molded VFG. Sturdy hard plastic and a solid bolt on mounting device. Perfect item at a perfect price in my opinion.
Link Posted: 1/18/2009 7:15:00 PM EDT
[#34]
That is nonsense. As with everything AR-related, you get what you pay for. I have had CAA, KAC, TD, and LT grips, and they most certainly are not the same. CAA and KAC are basically "what you see is what you get" grips that may or may not be solid on your rails. TD is solid, but a PIA to move on or off (though I haven't used their new QD models). LT FUG has QD, and has a modularity that none of the others have - three different sizes in one. Fit it to your hand / needs.

Quality does matter, even in a VFG.
Link Posted: 1/18/2009 7:24:50 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
That is nonsense. As with everything AR-related, you get what you pay for. I have had CAA, KAC, TD, and LT grips, and they most certainly are not the same. CAA and KAC are basically "what you see is what you get" grips that may or may not be solid on your rails. TD is solid, but a PIA to move on or off (though I haven't used their new QD models). LT FUG has QD, and has a modularity that none of the others have - three different sizes in one. Fit it to your hand / needs.

And here is the problem, you may not even have used a real KAC grip.  KAC grips are $65 NIB and are made to last and hold up as well as or better then a TD.

If you are buying a KAC grip NIB at $15.00 you are buying a Chincom knock-off.  It will come loose, the grip will wear out, and it may not be mil-spec or even straight.

The worst part about it is they are look 100% identical as far as I can tell.  The china crap is made out of a cheap plastic while the real KAC is heavy duty resin.  Make sure you are not getting a knock-off.

If anyone knows how to tell the difference in the two grips, plz post it.   I bought a used KAC grip on the EE for $20 bucks and have no idea if its a real one or not...but at $20 I shouldnt expect the real deal.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 8:41:10 PM EDT
[#36]
Hell for $15 it could wear out once a year for almost ten years and still be under the cost of some of these overpriced sticks. I just don't see that this piece of plastic or aluminum is equal to 10% the cost of my rifle.

Quoted:
Quoted:

And here is the problem, you may not even have used a real KAC grip.  KAC grips are $65 NIB and are made to last and hold up as well as or better then a TD.

If you are buying a KAC grip NIB at $15.00 you are buying a Chincom knock-off.  It will come loose, the grip will wear out, and it may not be mil-spec or even straight.

The worst part about it is they are look 100% identical as far as I can tell.  The china crap is made out of a cheap plastic while the real KAC is heavy duty resin.  Make sure you are not getting a knock-off.

If anyone knows how to tell the difference in the two grips, plz post it.   I bought a used KAC grip on the EE for $20 bucks and have no idea if its a real one or not...but at $20 I shouldnt expect the real deal.

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 9:07:03 PM EDT
[#37]
just got a tangodown stubby FDE in the mail today. mounted it on my quadrail along with some FDE XTM rail panels I just got too. awesome grip.

waterproof storage
sturdy as anything
short, only used as a reference
looks sharp
$60, a little more than I would want to spend, but I didn't mind too much once I got it all mounted.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 10:12:55 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
obviously there's something else going on here that I'm not catching to to...

as far as I can tell, a vertical foregrip is just used to hold up the front of your rifle, right? not a particularly high-stress part, near as I can tell, and hardly a critical part of a weapon system, as if it failed, one would just hold the forend like a traditional rifle or perhaps grasp the mag well. am I right?

I ask this question because as I look around, I'm seeing VFGs going for as much as $100+, and for the life of me, I can't understand what a $100 VFG could do that say, a $25 VFG could do.

what am I missing?

Then buy a used KAC vertical foregrip on the EE for $25 and be happy.  They work fine and are proven.

RIfles get knocked about.  Well, some rifles do.  Shit happens, and EVERYTHING can break.  There really are no low stress parts.  Cheapo foregrips don't last long in actual use, plus people are willing to pay for a good QD attachment method.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 10:35:49 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Nice and short!

Some of the cheap ones are worth less that you paid for them.
But this one I like very much. Comfortable, small, and solid.

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 10:44:23 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

I'm using the short aluminum from Spikes. Only thing I don't like is lack of storage. If I could find a plug to fit, it would be great for me. I've not had the temp problem some say aluminum comes with, but I don't shoot full auto. I'd imagine it could get pretty hot in the sandbox.

I've got the same one.  Seems pretty sturdy, sucks that you need a hex wrench to tighten it.

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 12:53:59 AM EDT
[#41]
It is a much better position for me than without. I think it adds to muzzle control, but that is just for me.  

I also have the spikes stubby (did have to replace the O rings) and even though I haven't been able to shoot with if, it feels fantastic in my hand.  Coupled with my MOE handguard, I think it has been a relatively inexpensive experiment For $30, a nice short aluminum vfg, you can't go wrong.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 1:09:33 AM EDT
[#42]
The larue FUG is essentially 3 grips in one, plus top notch quality and strength, and quick release ... worth every penny of the $100, IMO.  I have 2 of them now.

If you disagree, buy something cheap and see if it works for you.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 6:02:43 AM EDT
[#43]
Personally, I think all this stuff is overpriced.  Just like everything else in the world.  And I think you make a valid observation.  But it is good to know what everyone thinks about different ones.  I've still never bit the bullet on one as I don't really feel it's necessary.  But find myself wanting to try one sometime.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 6:12:49 AM EDT
[#44]
When you're biggest risk is a paper cut from your targets striking back then obviously a $15-25 cheapo is all you need.  If it breaks, even at an inopportune moment the worst that can happen is you need to cut your range trip short.

If your ass is on the line, you need your rifle to survive, you need to be able to adapt to different situations and make sure your rifle can adapt with you then make your decision based on those facts.  

Nothing wrong with replacing a cheap VFG once a year if paper or cardboard is your worst enemy.  But if the possibility of breaking when your life is on the line is something you have to worry about then obviously you're going to go with something made of quality.

If you don't know why you'd spend more then obviously you don't need more, save a buck and have fun being the weekend warrior at the range.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 6:26:16 AM EDT
[#45]
I use the KAC grip on my rifles, I have never had it shoot loose, nor is it wobbly.
Loosen the screw, remove a panel, and slide it off, that's as QD as I want it.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 10:03:56 AM EDT
[#46]
Well, seeing as this thread has been resurrected from the dead, I may as well make my question clearer.

the reason I was asking about VFGs in the first place probably has to do with the fact that I have never used one. I've had many rifles, and never had one that would accept a VFG. aside from the Thompson and some AKs, the only rifles I see that typically have foregrips are ARs, and I suppose my real question is: what advantage is there to having a foregrip in the first place? especially since in my reading it seems that the "proper" way to use them is to have your hand only partially on the VFG, and partially on the handguard?

for that matter, wouldn't it be better to have something akin to a handstop, like they use on Olympic target rifles?
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 10:18:27 AM EDT
[#47]
Point of Reference
Consistency
Muzzle control
Yes, in my case it is a glorified handstop, thus the TD stubby.

Before I had one, my hand position could vary slightly from time to time. Now it goes right to the same spot every time.
Also makes the grip a little more ergonomic IMO, instead of completely supinating the left hand.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top