Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/28/2008 5:42:03 PM EDT
Hello all, new member here.

Been reading your sight off and on for the last eight years or so. Spent most of my time over on Jouster while I was competing in high power( one of the few that actually still used a Garand) Kids got into little league; cubscouts and boyscouts......so competive shooting went to the wayside.....temporarily I hope. Now I help my sons BSA troop with their marksmanship MB's (I'm a certified NRA Pistol Instructor and hope to finish rifle and shotgun in December). Thats enough about me....now on to my post.

Just bought a DPMS Low Pro Classic. This is the second AR-15 rifle I have owned. The first was a Colt sporter HBAR "green label"....wish I had never sold that gem.

Took it out yesterday and sighted her in......man was I impressed. Shoots very tight groups for a 16" barrel.

additions and mods I've made:

Pardus 6 position stock

YHM flip up front and rear BUIS

YHM 6 inch cantilever 1/2" riser

Burris 1.5x scout scope

I will be adding a set of YHM 45 deg 3-slot dovetails; spec gear sling; tac light and a laser sight.

I am at work tonight; but will post pics tomorrow. Once fully rigged she'll a great piece of Obama insurance

One question.....I am thinking of adding a forearm grip; but the Low Pro uses the DPMS "Glacier" forearm set. Any of you out there have any experience modifing it by adding a rail on the underside?  A rail would be nice; but I want to be careful and not damage it due to the "fins" molded on the inside.

Thanks in advance.....great Forum!

Force
Link Posted: 11/28/2008 5:52:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Welcome aboard, sounds like a nice rig you bought! Funny you should mention Garands, I just got this one in yesterday from CMP, it's their M1 Special, CMP run of a 1000, new barrel, stock, reparked

Link Posted: 11/28/2008 5:58:07 PM EDT
[#2]
I dont have any insight on your question but I too just purchase a Lo pro classic about 3 weeks ago.    I added GG&G Spring actuated flip up front and buis, added a Barska Electro Sight red dot, and have Truglo scope that i am in the midst of getting a mount for.  I too am interested in adding a rail to the underside of the handguard so that i can add a grip.

I love the bull barrel although it makes it pretty hefty!!

I have been trying to get the handguard off from mine but I cant seem to get it off.  I have the tool on its way but didnt want to wait for the tool. LOL

Good luck with yours heres mine.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y249/ShaqDaddy/Other%20Collection/Pictures011.jpg

Link Posted: 11/28/2008 6:10:10 PM EDT
[#3]
very nice garand! I didn't catch those on the cmp E- letter. havn't been to the CMP website for a couple of months now. I have two cmp garands and love both of them.

This Low pro is one sweet shooter. Tossed my brass in a very neat compact pile. made pick up very easy. Not at all like my garands.....one in four It'll toss Lord knows where.

Action on this rifle is very smooth and consistent; bull barrel is a little heavy, but definately worth every ounce for the accuracy potential.

Force
Link Posted: 11/28/2008 6:13:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
very nice garand! I didn't catch those on the cmp E- letter. havn't been to the CMP website for a couple of months now. I have two cmp garands and love both of them.

This Low pro is one sweet shooter. Tossed my brass in a very neat compact pile. made pick up very easy. Not at all like my garands.....one in four It'll toss Lord knows where.

Action on this rifle is very smooth and consistent; bull barrel is a little heavy, but definately worth every ounce for the accuracy potential.

Force

Yup, Winchester M1s go on Sale Dec.1
Link Posted: 11/28/2008 6:20:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I dont have any insight on your question but I too just purchase a Lo pro classic about 3 weeks ago.    I added GG&G Spring actuated flip up front and buis, added a Barska Electro Sight red dot, and have Truglo scope that i am in the midst of getting a mount for.  I too am interested in adding a rail to the underside of the handguard so that i can add a grip.

I have been trying to get the handguard off from mine but I cant seem to get it off.  I have the tool on its way but didnt want to wait for the tool. LOL

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y249/ShaqDaddy/Other%20Collection/Pictures011.jpg

Very nice, I agree w/ the weight....but worth it. You'll be amazed at how tight your groups will be for such a short barrel. That forearm is PIA...I tried as well to remove w/o the tool. My colt was fairly simple to remove by hand. I think the internal fins make it alot stiffer....dosen't feel like it has as much flex as the GI type guards. That being said I believe it's a good thing.

Are you going to add a sling? The only downside I have found w/ the LP is no place to mount a forward sling attachment. Another reason for the thr bottom side rail mod. Otherwise I'm limited to a single point attachment for a sling. Not opposed to it; just not used to it.

Force

Force

Link Posted: 11/28/2008 6:28:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Very nice, I agree w/ the weight....but worth it. You'll be amazed at how tight your groups will be for such a short barrel. That forearm is PIA...I tried as well to remove w/o the tool. My colt was fairly simple to remove by hand. I think the internal fins make it alot stiffer....dosen't feel like it has as much flex as the GI type guards. That being said I believe it's a good thing.

Are you going to add a sling? The only downside I have found w/ the LP is no place to mount a forward sling attachment. Another reason for the thr bottom side rail mod. Otherwise I'm limited to a single point attachment for a sling. Not opposed to it; just not used to it.

Force

Force

Yeah I have to find a sling that I really like first but once I add the bottom rail then i am going to get a sling mount for the front.
Link Posted: 11/28/2008 6:43:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By yankeesfan81

Yeah I have to find a sling that I really like first but once I add the bottom rail then i am going to get a sling mount for the front.:

Have you figuered out how to mount the rail?  Most I have found state they will only work with GI/milspec handguards

Force

Link Posted: 11/28/2008 6:44:13 PM EDT
[#8]
I've owned this same rifle for 7 months now and it is by far the most accurate AR I've owned....and I've owned about 6 over the past 9 years.

My main use is prairie dog killin' and I get kills all day long out to 300-ish yards.  My 2 records are 2 prairie dog kills at 780 yards with a friend spotting and calling corrections.

This rifle is by far more accurate than I am.

This is with a recent Omega Rail free float upgrade:

I painted it not long after I bought it and this is what it looked like until I went back to black about 2 months ago (glacier guard handrails):

Link Posted: 11/28/2008 6:56:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I've owned this same rifle for 7 months now and it is by far the most accurate AR I've owned....and I've owned about 6 over the past 9 years.

My main use is prairie dog killin' and I get kills all day long out to 300-ish yards.  My 2 records are 2 prairie dog kills at 780 yards with a friend spotting and calling corrections.

http://i489.photobucket.com/albums/rr258/gear_monkey/claygun006.jpg

I painted it not long after I bought it and this is what it looked like until I went back to black about 2 months ago (glacier guard handrails):

http://i489.photobucket.com/albums/rr258/gear_monkey/clay002.jpg

Dude....I like; they definately have the cool factor

How did you mount your points of attachment on the handguard for the rails and bipod?
I'm fairly resourceful; but don't want to muck up the "Glacier guard". I've considered either YHM or Omega drop- ins; but would be less expensive just to ad a rail to the underside if I can.

Force

Link Posted: 11/29/2008 9:26:14 AM EDT
[#11]
Still looking for someone to advise me on modifing the "Glacier guard" forearm. Will I need to trim the fins or is there some company that makes a picatinny rail that will bolt on without modification? If you have experience with this guard let me know.

Thanks

Force
Link Posted: 11/29/2008 10:08:25 AM EDT
[#12]
I found this here, not a huge fan of plastic or caa but it works i guess.
Link Posted: 11/29/2008 10:36:04 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I found this here, not a huge fan of plastic or caa but it works i guess.

Thanks,

Saw those as well; ruled em out pretty quickly

Link Posted: 11/29/2008 12:24:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i489.photobucket.com/albums/rr258/gear_monkey/claygun006.jpg

http://i489.photobucket.com/albums/rr258/gear_monkey/clay002.jpg

Dude....I like; they definately have the cool factor

How did you mount your points of attachment on the handguard for the rails and bipod?
I'm fairly resourceful; but don't want to muck up the "Glacier guard". I've considered either YHM or Omega drop- ins; but would be less expensive just to ad a rail to the underside if I can.

Force

Hey Force,

For the canted red dot I got a cheap two sided attachment from Cheaper Than Dirt that screws into the cooling holes on top and bottom of your handguards.

Same for the by-pod.  It was a mount that fits on the underside of your handguard and screws down tight.

To be honest, I never liked the "glacier guard" idea.  Luckily I had a spare pair of standard m4 handguards that I used before upgrading to the Omega rail.
Link Posted: 11/29/2008 12:50:07 PM EDT
[#15]
brasilla,

Thanks for the info. it appears I'm going to be SOL with this Glacier guard. I may need to remove it and just get the YHM drop-in. They have a guard that lets you "customize" your rail placement. That will allow me to cant a laser and lite @ a 45 degree angle. Just didn't want to fork out the cash at this time.

Force
Link Posted: 11/29/2008 2:58:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
brasilla,

Thanks for the info. it appears I'm going to be SOL with this Glacier guard. I may need to remove it and just get the YHM drop-in. They have a guard that lets you "customize" your rail placement. That will allow me to cant a laser and lite @ a 45 degree angle. Just didn't want to fork out the cash at this time.

Force

let me know if you want my old stuff (canted attachment/m4 guards).  I wont use them and you can have them if you'll just cover shipping.
Link Posted: 11/29/2008 5:41:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Just bought a Lo Pro (first AR) and I can see that it's gonna a long term money pit for me. For now just have a Sightmark reflex sight on it. BUIS will be next.
Link Posted: 11/29/2008 7:08:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Just bought a Lo Pro (first AR) and I can see that it's gonna a long term money pit for me. For now just have a Sightmark reflex sight on it. BUIS will be next.

AHHH yes.  I feel your pain.  I purhcased my Lo Pro for $750 about 3 weeks ago.  Since then I think I have invested about $400 in other items.

Flip up sights front and rear, hogue grip, red dot, illuminated scope, mounts here and there.  Stuff gets $$$$...
Link Posted: 11/29/2008 8:00:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Any flat top AR will suck your wallet dry  Me..... I've spent $237.00  so far. need to pick up a sling;  45 degree dovetails; and possibly a laser site. I already had the scope and rings and I have a G2 surefire ready to mount. The scope needs to go forward another 1-2 inches.....so I may be picking up another 1/2" riser possibly from ARMS; that will cantilever a little further out. I'll probably spend another $250 before I'm done.

Force
Link Posted: 11/30/2008 3:25:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Took it out yesterday and sighted her in......man was I impressed. Shoots very tight groups for a 16" barrel.

What kind of ammo were you shooting and who here uses Wolf in their Lo Pro?
Link Posted: 11/30/2008 4:34:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I have shot alot of wolf through her without any problems (course I had upgraded the extractor strength with the o'ring upgrade).

My main ammo has been the Federal 50 grain HP.  It is incredibly accurate and very destructive to the little critters I so love.
Link Posted: 12/3/2008 5:06:10 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have shot alot of wolf through her without any problems (course I had upgraded the extractor strength with the o'ring upgrade).

My main ammo has been the Federal 50 grain HP.  It is incredibly accurate and very destructive to the little critters I so love.

I was shooting Hansen 55gr FMG; rounds were probably at least 20 years old. I had about 150 left from when I owned my first AR. Hansen imported Israeli ammo; not even sure if they are still in existence. The short of it ...Israeli surplus

Force
Link Posted: 12/3/2008 5:49:53 AM EDT
[#23]
Another Lo-Pro owner here.
I've owned many AR but I had sold 90% of my collection yeas ago when I bought my condo. I've ben slowly rebuilding and was lucky enough to find a brand new Lo-Pro at a gun show for $799. I haven't got to take her out yet but will soon.

In my "list", I want/need to add BUIS and a different stock. Like you, I'd like to change the handguards to have a forward sling mount or I may just have to get a seperate upper.
Link Posted: 12/3/2008 12:17:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I've owned many AR but I had sold 90% of my collection yeas ago when I bought my condo. I've ben slowly rebuilding and was lucky enough to find a brand new Lo-Pro at a gun show for $799. I haven't got to take her out yet but will soon.

In my "list", I want/need to add BUIS and a different stock. Like you, I'd like to change the handguards to have a forward sling mount or I may just have to get a seperate upper.

I spoke with tech support at DPMS; they informed me that any rails made for a standard GI handguard will work on a Gacier guard w/o modification. They also said a #5 harris bi-pod adapter will work as well. Thats good news for me; I'll be looking for one of the two. in order to get a sling attached. Once i get my sights on 45 degree and get my scope raised and cantilevered out a little further I'll post new pics.

Force

Link Posted: 12/4/2008 4:53:05 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I spoke with tech support at DPMS; they informed me that any rails made for a standard GI handguard will work on a Gacier guard w/o modification. They also said a #5 harris bi-pod adapter will work as well. Thats good news for me; I'll be looking for one of the two. in order to get a sling attached. Once i get my sights on 45 degree and get my scope raised and cantilevered out a little further I'll post new pics.

Force

Sweet.
Thanks for the heads up Force. Look forward to seeing the pictures. I'm still trying to decide what I "REALLY" want to do to the gun. I'm currently still drooling over Spike's Tactical 22lr dedicated uppers. I want one of those so bad.  LOL!
Link Posted: 12/7/2008 3:49:21 PM EDT
[#26]
So here is the rifle after mounting the YHM 45 degree dove tails; decided not to mess with the scope position. Just moved the rear ring back a little. Posted in the "optics; mounts and sights" section under the sticky: "New to the AR....Optics Options" describing the mounting of my scout(IER) configuration. Seems no one had posted this particular setup. Here is the link to my post:

New to the AR....Optics Options

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/caneyforkoutfitters/LP-AR151.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/caneyforkoutfitters/LP-AR152.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/caneyforkoutfitters/LP-scout1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/caneyforkoutfitters/LP-scout2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/caneyforkoutfitters/LP-scout3.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/caneyforkoutfitters/LP-buis2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/caneyforkoutfitters/LP-buis3.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/caneyforkoutfitters/LP-buis4.jpg

I like the rifle and the optics; wish there were more alternatives for rail mounted 45 degrees; but, these will suffice for now. It isn't a "proffessionals" rifle....but I didn't want it to be. I bought it for my own personal needs and reasons. Makes me happy.....and at this point in my life.....thats all that matters.

Force
Link Posted: 12/7/2008 3:52:42 PM EDT
[#27]
How much higher is a low pro upper than a standard upper? Will flip up sights work?
Link Posted: 12/7/2008 4:04:35 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
How much higher is a low pro upper than a standard upper? Will flip up sights work?

Under normal conditions the Lo Pro would be less expensive; by several hundres dollars. But right now....everything is high.

Link Posted: 12/7/2008 4:57:32 PM EDT
[#29]
I am sorry. I mean how high is the top rail compared to a regular flat top upper. I have read it is a little taller but no specifics.
Link Posted: 12/7/2008 5:24:39 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I am sorry. I mean how high is the top rail compared to a regular flat top upper. I have read it is a little taller but no specifics.

The AR15 I believe is the same as as any other AR15 upper. The Lo Pro built for 7.62 appears to be considerably higher.

Link Posted: 12/8/2008 3:49:58 AM EDT
[#31]
Looks really good Enforcer!
I think that's a setup like I'd like to do.
I actually ordered a quad rail forend just to try it out. (If I don't like it, I can save it for a different build.)

WELL DONE SIR! (I'm with you on the "eyes not what they used to be." I'll be 40 very soon and I hate to admit but my vision isn't what it was.)
Link Posted: 12/8/2008 12:04:20 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I actually ordered a quad rail forend just to try it out. (If I don't like it, I can save it for a different build.)

WELL DONE SIR! (I'm with you on the "eyes not what they used to be." I'll be 40 very soon and I hate to admit but my vision isn't what it was.)

Thanks for the kind words. If your quad rail is a free float system; you should have no trouble mounting your intermediate eye relief(IER) scope on the forend. YHM has a good selection of rails that will mount from your flat top extending down your quad rail ; connecting the two. This will give you 1/2" of rise and more options for ER.

Link Posted: 12/9/2008 4:52:35 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for the kind words. If your quad rail is a free float system; you should have no trouble mounting your intermediate eye relief(IER) scope on the forend. YHM has a good selection of rails that will mount from your flat top extending down your quad rail ; connecting the two. This will give you 1/2" of rise and more options for ER.

Don't hit me too hard. I didn't get a free float. Matter of fact, I got a rail system that will probably get me flogged. I bought a UHG carbine length. My reasoning is that it lets me try it out for not a lot of money.

I was worried about the free float as I'm not real mechanically inclined and I wasn't sure what would fit over that gas block on the lo-pro seeing as it's pretty beefy. I like how you mounted the iron sights.

So much has changed since I last owned an AR-15. All these fancy options. LOL!
Link Posted: 12/9/2008 1:04:36 PM EDT
[#34]
a free float system isn't necessary; in fact you are right; you would have to replace the gas block on the Lo Pro w/ the bull barrel. As long as the drop in is aluminum, straight profile and can be secured, you should be fine.(pastic guards w/ rails usually have the taper associated w/ the standard mil guards) Thats why I suggested the The YHM extension rails. You can use them to connect between your flat top and the drop in quad rail HG. This will ad additional rigidity and also give you a continuos rail. FWI; I like the Omega and the YHM drop in quads. The omega is a bit pricey; the YHM is priced right, but I didn't want to spend the extra money at this time. heres the link to the YHM rails:

yankeehill machine

If you don't use a 1/2" riser of some type; you'll need to use tall rings for your scope. I used medium rings and a rail extension w/ 1/2" of rise. This puts the scope in the proper ocular alignment w/ the average persons cheek weld. not everyone is the same; but most need somewhere between 1/2" to 3/4" of additional rise on most standard AR15 flat tops.

Link Posted: 12/9/2008 5:40:01 PM EDT
[#35]
My current setup. (sorry for the low quality pic)

http://images47.fotki.com/v1401/photos/8/86903/5664922/DPMS-vi.jpg

I don't know what height they are but they seem to work ok for me. Same scope I've had for quite some time. Used it on my last Flat Top. It's a SPI 1.5-5 x 40 with a nice "T" reticle. Very simple and very functional. (I'll buy a fancier scope one day. I just really like this guy. Dunno why. Little smaller would be nice though.)
Link Posted: 12/10/2008 8:17:27 PM EDT
[#36]
I hear you on scope size. They tend to get heavy; and the larger the objective and oculars; the higher you have to mount the scope, just to get clearance. Starts to mess up your cheek weld, then the rifle becomes awkward to shoot. If you like it, and its comfortable to shoot.....stay with it.

The nice thing about shooting 5.56 is that recoil is minimal. So even if then scope is mounted a little high, it won't snap you around like a big bore bolt gun will. Proper scope height and alignment are far more critical for comfortable shooting using larger calibers in bolt action.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top