Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/22/2008 10:24:45 AM EDT
Definitly a beginer question but what is the minimum thickness of steel that should be used for shooting 30 yrds and greater? Its tough to tell on the shooting programs but, is it angled in any fashon to deflect bullet? Any info would be great. Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/22/2008 10:34:40 AM EDT
[#1]
What are you shooting at it? If you're shooting 5.56 don't shoot M855/SS109.

Min is probably 3/8in, I use 1/2in, but more important than thickness is the type of steel; you'll need AR500 so that it won't crater.

When a bullet hits steel it disintegrates into may very small pieces and a few larger pieces usually pieces of jacket. These fragments will exit the steel plate at a 20° angle from the surface. While 20° is safe to shooter and bystander, if the surface starts to crater things get ugly. When the craters form they can have very steep walls, so the next round will leave the surface at 20° and from a crater this could come strait back to you causing mild to serious injuries.

These are some targets I made, and they work well, but the IDPA/IPSC style stands didn't hold them well so I've since built new stands.

Good luck
Link Posted: 11/22/2008 11:00:23 AM EDT
[#2]
I like to shoot steel do it all the time.

Be aware shooting soft~ steel at close range is a good way to have the jacket come back and hit you.... Seen it happen not pretty.

I've got several Ar 500 targets i made. But with a rifle they stay at 100 or farther.
Link Posted: 11/22/2008 11:10:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Great info, thank you.  I have been using the Privi m193 55g and Privi 72g. Whats the deal with the Rounds you listed?
Link Posted: 11/22/2008 11:24:58 AM EDT
[#4]
M855 SS109  62 grain with steel penetrating core

It's known ~ to peen/dimple ar 500

I've also heard of people cracking ar 500 with 22-250's et. stuff over 4k fps
Link Posted: 11/22/2008 11:30:54 AM EDT
[#5]
I use AR500 from 25M and out.  Have em mounted  at negative angle to send spall downwards.
Link Posted: 11/22/2008 11:55:23 AM EDT
[#6]
I was at a range with my BIL letting him shoot my 1911 at some steel targets they had. We were under a little canopy they had setup. He fired the last round and dropped the magazine and started to put the gun down. Then something bounced off the canopy, off the pipe support and hit me in the ankle. It was a 45 slug! I guess it hit the steel, went straight up and back down.
Link Posted: 11/22/2008 1:06:30 PM EDT
[#7]
id use whatever these guys are using    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ABGIJwiGBc
Link Posted: 11/22/2008 1:42:59 PM EDT
[#8]
I still have one fragment in my calf from steel targets 4 years ago, the one worked itself out a couple months ago.

You need to not shoot steel targets that close.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top