Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/20/2008 2:28:34 PM EDT
I can get the detachable carry handle for a flattop or I can get just the rear site.

Is the carry handle just for looks now?

If I want to switch between Optic and irons does taking it off lose the zero?

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 2:36:08 PM EDT
[#1]
You can't (or at least shouldn't) carry a rifle by the BUIS.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 2:39:23 PM EDT
[#2]
It looks cool?
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 2:39:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

You can carry it with a sling though. . . so it there really any need for a carry handle?  I think that's what the OP is getting at.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 2:42:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Whatever floats your boat (buis or CH) I was taught to never carry your weapon from the carrying handle. Lastly, if you get a quality carry handle or buis as long as you put it back in the same T mark you should not have to re- zero....
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 2:43:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can carry it with a sling though. . . so it there really any need for a carry handle?  I think that's what the OP is getting at.

Pretty much, It seems like it is just for show now.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 2:45:00 PM EDT
[#6]
For the most part, a removable carry handle just takes up alot of rail space vs. a BUIS.  You could put one of those old school optic mounts on top of a removable carry handle, but i don't really see the utility of it.  

So basically, yes. The carry handle is just for looks vs. a BUIS that is just the rear sight.  Plus, using the stand alone rear sight allows for effortless co-witnessing of an optic later on.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 2:50:05 PM EDT
[#7]
If I were to carry my rifle all day, I'd use a sling instead of holding it by the carry handle.  If I were to use a carry handle, I'd get an A2 upper because it has a larger hole to get your hand into.  Have you tried getting your hand into one of those detachable carry handles?  There's not a lot of room.  Imagin how much tougher it would be if you had gloves.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 2:55:38 PM EDT
[#8]
I liked having the ACOG mounted on the carry handle.  You could use the sight handle sites as the backup.  I didn't like the ghost image of the fixed front site in the scope.  Some may say you get a poor cheek weld, but that didn't prevent me from shooting good groups.  Sometimes it's nice to be able to grab the rifle by the handle.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 2:59:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Yes. It keeps you from spending huge cash on fancy optics.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 3:05:19 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a carry handle on one of my flat tops. If you aren't using optics its nice because it protects the rail from getting banged up.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 3:12:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I can get the detachable carry handle for a flattop or I can get just the rear site.

Is the carry handle just for looks now?

If I want to switch between Optic and irons does taking it off lose the zero?

Thanks in advance.

Shooters are of all makes & types so it depends.

Link Posted: 11/20/2008 3:40:26 PM EDT
[#12]
If you target shoot - specifically Service Rifle - you must use the iron sights on a carry handle.  It's in the rules.  However, a removable carry handle on an A3 is allowed, I believe.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 3:43:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
If you target shoot - specifically Service Rifle - you must use the iron sights on a carry handle.  It's in the rules.  However, a removable carry handle on an A3 is allowed, I believe.

I always read this, but finally started to notice that every match I go to, over half the shooters are shooting match class rifles anyway.  And you're all in the same pool - they don't separate match from service rifle in the rankings or cash awards.  So I'm beginning to question what the point is sticking with service rifle spec??
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 3:59:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Yes. It keeps you from spending huge cash on fancy optics.

Does not.

3 A2s, 3 ACOGS on em...
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 4:04:43 PM EDT
[#15]
I just bought one.... I hope they still have a purpose.

Link Posted: 11/20/2008 5:52:43 PM EDT
[#16]
eh.. just don't by one with a "fixed" carry handle.... they are useless and guess what, they are the cheapest standard AR complete rifle available, wonder why?  maybe nobody buys them?
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 6:16:33 PM EDT
[#17]
My next build is going to have a detatchable carry handle as its rear sight. I PLAN on keeping that rifle simple, but it's nice to have the option to remove the handle if I change my mind. I already had the handle, and a flattop upper is cheaper than an A2, otherwise I might've gotten an A1 or A2.

-Dan
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top