Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/20/2008 1:07:36 PM EDT
I'm thinking about a 20" A2 upper with gov't profile barrel, to swap out occasionally with my  heavy barrel NM Bushmaster. I would like it to have a free-floated handguard, but look like standard A2. I like the A2 setup for simplicity, and would like a lighter rifle for 3-gun, etc.

The specs for the RRA tube/handguard combo say 16 oz., which is comparable to full-length rail weight...has anyone tried drilling lightening holes in a NM float tube a la honecomb-style, or know a manufacturer that could?

I'm thinking it would be a cost-effective means of retaining A2 styling and still getting good accuracy and light weight, compared to full-length rails.

Would one modified in this way stand up to full-pressure sling use in prone?

Link Posted: 11/20/2008 2:29:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Check out White Oak Armament, they are top notch.
http://whiteoakarmament.com/
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 6:12:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I'm thinking about a 20" A2 upper with gov't profile barrel, to swap out occasionally with my  heavy barrel NM Bushmaster. I would like it to have a free-floated handguard, but look like standard A2. I like the A2 setup for simplicity, and would like a lighter rifle for 3-gun, etc.
The specs for the RRA tube/handguard combo say 16 oz., which is comparable to full-length rail weight...has anyone tried drilling lightening holes in a NM float tube a la honecomb-style, or know a manufacturer that could?
I'm thinking it would be a cost-effective means of retaining A2 styling and still getting good accuracy and light weight, compared to full-length rails.
Would one modified in this way stand up to full-pressure sling use in prone?

Any metal removed from a float tube would inevitably weaken the tube.

That being said, Compass Lake Engineering does say that their tubes are designed to be "Marine Proof."

FWIW; AFAIK; IMHO; YMMV; yadda, yadda, yadda.

Regards, Ed Mann    
[email protected]

Bobby Bowden is doing a fine job - just leave him alone.

Link Posted: 11/21/2008 10:18:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Got an email back from John Holliger at White Oak Precision...must say his response is in keeping with his excellent reputation.

He suggested I talk to CLE after reading my email, because their tube would be better suited/amenable to a weight-reduction, etc. I'll definitely be doing business with him on other things, though.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top