Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/19/2008 5:28:07 PM EDT
I posted this question in the optics section without a reply in over a day so i figured it try here instead.  i got an armalite with a heavy barrel and flat top upper. Its gonna be a paper puncher and varmint/coyote gun. I gonna got a bushnell trophy 6-18x40 to use and wanted to know what a reasonable priced and looking mount would be. ive read on here and searched the web and alot of ar-15 mounts are 50, 100, even 200 dollars. Thats way overkill for my pupose. would a good set of normal weaver based mounts work on this gun?
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 6:47:45 PM EDT
[#1]
here is a good source for a review of one piece scope mounts.
http://www.maxicon.com/guns/optics/one_piece/ar15_onepiece_mounts.htm

a decent mount will probably set you back some $$

even a decent pair of rings will cost $50.  the one piece is a better way to go.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 6:53:01 PM EDT
[#2]
I have used the Wilson in the above listed link and it's not bad. Currently all of my rifles with optics have either Badger Ordinance or LaRue, yes they are pricey but you get what you pay for.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 5:29:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Because you wish to use a fairly long/large scope, I recommend you look into an extended riser for your flattop.
The standard risers will not allow enough seperation of the scope rings to allow sufficient eye relief clearance.

Hahn Precision offers a very good extended riser for about $75.00
Accuracy Speaks offers another good one for about $120.00

If you want to go cadillac, Smith Enterprise offers an all steel extended riser, extremely well made and tank strong for about $150.00

As for rings, good set of Millets will work just fine for about $30.00
Everything can be found at Brownells. HTH
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 5:44:03 AM EDT
[#4]
What is most important is proper height so you can get a straight through look without bending your neck and compromising your shooting positing. . The millet ar mounts will work solid. The one piece mounts offered by various companies work solid (check their height)––and remove easily. Stay away from risers and you will not need an extender as you will be moving the scope toward you.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 7:20:21 AM EDT
[#5]
I have a burris 3-9x40 on my stag flattop, I use a Rock River one piece mount. I believe it was around $60 If i remember correctly. I will say that since you have a heavy barrel it may not be the greatest choice therefore its quite heavy. I put a A2 stock and lightweight float tube on mine and everything balances out quite well. Still a little heavy though.

If I were you I would probably get a good set or tall rings. Do you have BUIS that you have to clear?
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 7:37:00 AM EDT
[#6]
When choosing your mount, do you need to take into account the FSB?
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 5:45:10 PM EDT
[#7]
no BUIS to contend with. Im not really worried about the extra weight with the mounts either.  It is a heavy barrel target rifle afterall.  Ill prob go as economically as i can but still retain some quality.  thinking about a good set of millet high rise mounts.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 6:58:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Personally, I don't believe you can beat a LaRue one piece for quality and convenience.
Best bang for the buck in a less expensive one piece would be the Armalite.

Just my opinion, YMMV.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 10:39:48 PM EDT
[#10]

+1\\best mount out there for the price
if you got the funds, the LaRue is tops

i'd recommend the 1 piece mount; RRA makes em also
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top