Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/19/2008 7:10:46 AM EDT
I purchased a DEL-TON 16 .223 and I have been looking through just about every AR sight there is.  My question is what are the best parts to use to upgrade this baby  to be the best tactical AR for me.  I am a newb at this and I will take all the info and knowledge I can.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 7:19:18 AM EDT
[#1]
What are you going to do with it?  Is it a flattop upper or an A2 configuration?

Home defense?  You need a method to attach a flashlight and a reddot sight (IMO) of some sort.  A sling will help out considerably as well.  Railed forearms run the gamut from $50 airsoft junk to $350+ Daniel Defense or LaRue.

Plinking at the range? buy mags and ammo.  A spare bolt wouldn't be a bad thing to have.

If you purchased a flattop; are you going to use optics or strictly sights?  Optics? you're going to need a rear sight.  I prefer flip up sights under a scope, fixed sights behind an eotech/aimpoint/reddot.

What you need depends heavily on what you intend to do with it.

ETA: Search "rails", "foreends", "BUIS", "flip rear sight", "aimpoint", "eotech", "reddot" and any combination thereof for your answers.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 8:23:43 AM EDT
[#2]
I want it as a multipurpose weapon home defense/range/tactical.  I don't want to limit myself.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 9:17:06 AM EDT
[#3]
lots of tacked threads that deal with rails, optics and such.

browse the site more and ask specific questions.

best parts to use to upgrade this baby to be the best tactical AR for me

short answer
DD or larue rail system
aimpoint, eotech, or acog
larue mounts for the above optics
magpul stock
slings im not too sure about
surefire light
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 11:35:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I want it as a multipurpose weapon home defense/range/tactical.  I don't want to limit myself.

As the poste above stated there an absolute ton of pinned topics in the technical forums dealing specifically with this type of question.

That being said, your future "enhancements" will depend largely on your budget considering you want a "do all" type of rifle.

(In order of importance) you need to purchase:
Ammo
Magazines
Range time

Shoot the rifle for a bit and become familiar with how it operates, how you want it to "handle" (balance, weight, etc.), how to clean it properly, and basic disassembly procedures.  (I'm not being condescending here, you need to know these things so you can perform the work yourself and make informed decisions not based on what the internet says).

A railed foreend will allow you to attach a flashlight, bipod, and maybe a vertical grip (I don't much care for them).  Prices range from $50 to almost $400.  

Things to consider when buying a new foreend:
*your budget
*Whether you care to free-float the barrel or not (relieves pressure on the barrel from your sling/bipod/etc. and prevents POI shifts)
*Weight (some rails are light––Daniel Defense, some are heavy––ARMS)
*Ease of installation (depends on manufacturer of foreend––2 part non-freefloating foreends are the easiest to install)
*Do you want/need rails the entire length of the foreend?  some manufacturers make foreends that allow you to install sections of rail where you need them (JP Enterprises, PRI, et al)

Shooting the rifle extensively will help you figure out which changes you need to make to better fit your habits and stature.

You may decided you don't care for the standard pistol grip.  Magpul, ERGO, TangoDown, and others make replacements.  The prices range from std. A2 grip at $3 to others at $50.

Most people prefer a collapsible buttstock since adjustability allows it fit more shooters.  The manufacturers are too numerous to name here but Magpul, VLTOR, LMT, and others make great stocks.  VLTOR and LMT stocks (IMO) offer a better cheekweld than the others, but the Magpul CTR doesn't rattle and locks up solid.  Shoot more and figure out what you want.

You didn't say whether you had a flattop or an A2 config. (built in carry handle).  I'll assume a flattop.  If so, you'll need a rear sight.  Do some reading; there are tons of manufacturers out there.  I prefer PRI, Troy, and GG&G because they lock up solid and are well made.  YHM and Midwest Industries make good sights at a lower price point.

About the only "generalized" advice I can give you regarding accessories is:
1)  Shoot your rifle, determine what you want to change, and come here to read the various opinions concerning each particular piece of kit (make sure those opinions are based on use and not some knucklehead "parroting" what he's read elsewhere).

2)Don't put Airsoft Garbage on your real rifle.  The stuff isn't made to spec, has spotty Quality Control at best, and is usually cast out of shitty potmetal.  I've personally seen sight adjustment screws snap off, canted rear sights, and spotty windage adjustments.  Do it right the first time.

Link Posted: 11/19/2008 3:14:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks a lot for the info I really appreciate it and I will use it.  I pick it up on Tuesday so I have just been checking everything out I'm just psyched can't wait.  But your right  let me familarize myself with it first before I go spending more money. Thanks again for the advise appreciate it.  I will let you know when I decide to upgrade it and post some pics.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top