Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/18/2008 6:05:45 PM EDT
I am looking to purchase a new AR-15 in the next two weeks. My local gun dealer can get a DPMS A3 M4 with one 30 round mag and a cleaning kit for $925 plus 6% Michigan tax. I know the price is pretty good, but my question is, is a DPMS a good rifle? I've looked at S&W, Bushmaster, Armilite, they arte all a little more but is the quality really that much different? I know Colt's are about 20% more IF you can find one. Any advice would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 7:06:14 PM EDT
[#1]
I bought one and from what I hear is they are a solid company.  Mine came really nice and tight out of the box.  There are slight things that could be upgraded by yourself in the far far future that might wear out faster, but that is the same or similar with other AR's.  I can't give you a complete write up, since the gun is really new to me.  But everything is the way I like it and I like perfection.
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 7:19:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I am looking to purchase a new AR-15 in the next two weeks. My local gun dealer can get a DPMS A3 M4 with one 30 round mag and a cleaning kit for $925 plus 6% Michigan tax. I know the price is pretty good, but my question is, is a DPMS a good rifle? I've looked at S&W, Bushmaster, Armilite, they arte all a little more but is the quality really that much different? I know Colt's are about 20% more IF you can find one. Any advice would be appreciated.

I love mine...

Link Posted: 11/18/2008 7:26:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Mine was solid.
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 7:36:34 PM EDT
[#4]
My first black rifle was an A1 DMPS lightweight.
I never had a problem with it.

$925 is high for a dpms, but not in the post election economy
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 8:27:45 PM EDT
[#5]
From what I've heard they're very good rifles for the price. In fact my brother and I just bought one last week to add to our collection.
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 10:23:56 PM EDT
[#6]
have a dpms ap4 upper on a bush lower that i just put together... put 1000 rounds of wolf threw it with zero problems so far.
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 10:39:40 PM EDT
[#7]
1K? WoW more like $700 otd around here.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 10:37:46 AM EDT
[#8]
There is a local dealer that has one minus the carry handle for $850.00. I may get that one instead.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 10:41:58 AM EDT
[#9]
You would be lucky to find any at all in Jersey since the election. I'd buy it for $925.00
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 10:46:04 AM EDT
[#10]
I have a Panther Lite 16.  It's DPMS's version of a CAR 15, A-1 carrying handle.  I am happy with it so far.  I have only had one malf in 400 rounds, 400 is by no means a lot but the ftf happened 150 rounds in, the rest have been golden.  My only complaint is their factory trigger on the entry level rifles.  I am not sure about the rest of you guys but mine has a gritty trigger.  When I get some more $ I am going to put a better one in.  If I could do it again I would get a flat top, go for it.  I got it for 7 bills a while ago, those little guys have gone up a bit.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 12:24:00 PM EDT
[#11]
I have only had mine for 2 weeks (16" flattop) and it feels awesome. The trigger felt great, I shot sub MOA first day out (after only 2 zero groups) and it is tight enough to feel solid but no feed problems in first 300 rounds using cheap FMJ. I think the DPMS has all of the quality that you need in an entry level rifle. With no upgrades, I feel like I could stake my life on this baby. Some people complain about the rear takedown pin but I like the tightness. My M-16 in the Army (yeah, i ain't no spring chicken) rattled way too much and did not perform reliably, several jams in less than a few hundred rounds. I researched for 3 months before I decided on the DPMS. And I think I got the last one in Kansas City

OK, I'm ready for 2009... hopefully I "wasted" my money... Oh, BTW, thanks to Barack for the excuse I needed to give my wife to justify this latest purchase
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 1:29:41 PM EDT
[#12]
I just ordered a bunch of uppers and lowers and have had about a dozen DPMS rifles in diferent configurations and havent had an issue till now

two m4 uppers with the roughest chambers I have ever seen  one failed to extract first round fired had to be ramroded  the other damnear wouldnt eject an unfired round I shudder to imagine what it would have taken to get them out had it been fired any way they tell me 4 week turn around on unfired weapons leaves very unsatisfied customer  im currently seeing what the cost would be to have them both polished and send them a bill
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top