Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/16/2008 9:40:04 PM EDT
What's the worst ar you've owned? My vote:

http://i437.photobucket.com/albums/qq93/230grains/018.jpg?t=1226903816

Olympic Arms OA-93 carbine
PITA to strip, side charging, no flashhider, jammed on a lot of ammo, out of spec magwell that wouldn't take half the mags I put in it. Utterly useless removeable stock that rattled constantly. Came with a garbage red dot. God what trash IMO. I paid 1k for it, sold it later for 900.

Anyone own an AR they just hated?
Link Posted: 11/16/2008 9:42:43 PM EDT
[#1]
I haven't been there.
Link Posted: 11/16/2008 9:44:51 PM EDT
[#2]
No, but I did stay at a holiday inn once
Link Posted: 11/16/2008 9:53:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Friends don't let Friends buy Oly's
Link Posted: 11/16/2008 10:38:10 PM EDT
[#4]
That is exactly what these forums are for.
Link Posted: 11/16/2008 11:47:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
What's the worst ar you've owned? My vote:

http://i437.photobucket.com/albums/qq93/230grains/018.jpg?t=1226903816

Olympic Arms OA-93 carbine
PITA to strip, side charging, no flashhider, jammed on a lot of ammo, out of spec magwell that wouldn't take half the mags I put in it. Utterly useless removeable stock that rattled constantly. Came with a garbage red dot. God what trash IMO. I paid 1k for it, sold it later for 900.

Anyone own an AR they just hated?

Lol, i don't know why, but that reminds me of a paintball gun. One of those tippmanns that people attempt to make look like an m16/m4/ar and ends up with a massive, over weight dump of a paintball gun when speaking in terms of pb. lol

Link Posted: 11/16/2008 11:59:13 PM EDT
[#6]
I had an ASA that overgassed big time. I just gave the upper to a guy who wanted to build an AR but had no money to do so.

(This was old American Spirit, not the new guys)

Other than that, I've had really good luck.
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 1:15:33 AM EDT
[#7]
None - all mine are decent at the least and primo at the best.  Better rifles than I am a shooter.
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 2:22:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Guess I'm lucky. Never had a bad one.
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 2:39:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 2:48:41 AM EDT
[#10]
oops
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 2:49:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
None.

I build my own.    

OUTSTANDING SIGNATURE QUIB

ETA: Oh yeah, this is a technical forum, I haven't owned an AR I hated. RRA, Stag, CMMG, LaRue, Daniel Defense, Bushmaster, Spikes, Predator Custom (Sabre)

Link Posted: 11/17/2008 3:17:49 AM EDT
[#12]
I had a couple of Stags that never would work right (A carbine and a rifle) and a RRA  that was a bit of a pain over the carier key,

A friend bought an olympic that theFSB didt even line up with the gas port. we had to knock it back with a hard rubber hammer to get it to  cycle
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 4:52:35 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Guess I'm lucky. Never had a bad one.

+1

I've never had a bad one either. My Bushmaster ARs and Colt were excellent and I
expect my Noveske upper on a POF lower will be outstanding once I put it together.
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 5:09:38 AM EDT
[#14]

i've got a LMT 10.5" upper w/ LMT M16 BCG that has never been right. it was *really* overgassed from day 1 (squirt of gas in your eye every shot WITHOUT a suppressor), so i used it very little. 3 years down the road, i put some silicone on the CH and started using it more. i've only got about 2500-3K on it, and it started short-cycling for no reason i can find. replaced gas rings, checked key and bolts, cleaned and lubed, tried different buffers, tried different carriers, tried whole new lowers, changed gas tube...

still not running right. i'm going to pull the FSB this week. that's the last thing left.

Link Posted: 11/17/2008 5:15:18 AM EDT
[#15]
I've owned about 10 Colt AR-15s and one Bushmaster.

So obviously I've never had a bad one.
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 5:15:55 AM EDT
[#16]
All of my ARs have been great, even the Oly.
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 5:26:27 AM EDT
[#17]
The worst AR's I have ever seen has been: a ban style-Colt Sporter 20" A2 and a Century 20" A2. Both were complete shit, sorry Colt fans

The Bushy's I used to own and the Stag I have now seem to be fine though...
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 6:04:27 AM EDT
[#18]
I had a Colt AR-15 A2 Sporter II about 15 years ago that I did not think highly of. Poor fit, jammed all the time, and had a bad habbit of f@#king up firing pins?? Was glad to see it go.
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 6:09:30 AM EDT
[#19]
I haven't had too many problems w/ my ARs.  The worst one I owned was probably the first one.  It was a Colt.  The gun ran OK, but it was 7.62x39 and the only reliable mag I found was a Frankenmag.  Didn't have any luck finding others at the time, and none of the other mags I found ran worth a damn.    I sold it when I was unemployed & needed to pay some bills.  I've got a barrel ($40 at a gun show.)  I'll build another 7.62x39 again one of these days when I have the cash.
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 6:11:22 AM EDT
[#20]
Early '80s manufacture Colt Car-15.  Wouldn't sight in with any ammo with the windage screwed all the way to the right was still off a 12' wide target at 50yrds.  Other than than one mine have all been fine.  I don't buy Olys tho.

Rob
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 7:59:59 AM EDT
[#21]
I've owned 3 ARs so far, 2 Olys and 1 RRA (my current one.) My absolute worst was my first - an Oly CAR15 w/10" barrel & 6" perm flash hider that I bought for $700 back in '91. Everything on it was cheap & cheesy, from the grey finish on the steel parts to the toy-like plastic of  the stock. I ended up trading it to a friend for a Poly-Tech M14 in '95 after I got back from Germany, which I later sold to another friend for $600.
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 8:35:20 AM EDT
[#22]
DPMS, decided it wanted to be a machinegun.  sent to DPMS three times, fiddled with it on my own for two years, still wanted to go FA at random.  

Finally put the upper on another lower and stripped the lower and destroyed it.
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 8:37:43 AM EDT
[#23]
I have never owned a bad one, but have shot rifles I consider inferior to the ones I own.

First I own a essential arms, RRA, CZ 22lr upper and white oak upper

I have shot

Colt
FN
Olympic
and Bushmaster

Of these I felt the Olympic was the worst, the FN shot better than the Colt, Bushy and RRA are almost identical but I have had several problems with bad reloads int he RRA and it still runs great dispite the hard use.

beased on my experience stay away from olympic and you will be happy don't let the Colt, novolske kool-aid drinkers make you believe your choice is junk if it works well it works. thats all.  

At least RRA warranty covers MOA groups, colt can't do that.
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 8:41:04 AM EDT
[#24]
First AR I bought was a OLY never own another
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 8:41:35 AM EDT
[#25]
I have never owned a bad one, but have shot rifles I consider inferior to the ones I own.

First I own a essential arms, RRA, CZ 22lr upper and white oak upper

I have shot

Colt
FN
Olympic
and Bushmaster

Of these I felt the Olympic was the worst, the FN shot better than the Colt, Bushy and RRA are almost identical but I have had several problems with bad reloads int he RRA and it still runs great dispite the hard use.

beased on my experience stay away from olympic and you will be happy don't let the Colt, novolske kool-aid drinkers make you believe your choice is junk if it works well it works. thats all.  

At least RRA warranty covers MOA groups, colt can't do that.
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 8:46:00 AM EDT
[#26]
Of the four I have direct experience with, my 1999 vintage Armalite carbine was the most problematic.  Magwell was out of spec, front sight was canted, it was a picky eater and liked to double feed and FTE.   I spent more time fighting my rifle at three gun and carbine matches than I did shooting the match.  I spent hours reading manuals and agonizing how I must not be taking good care of my rifle or I was just doing it wrong.   I ditched that rifle and bought a Bushmaster and life with ARs become much more better.  Since then, I've added Rock River Arms and DPMS to the stable.  I think any manufacturer can and will turn out a dud or run of duds from time to time.
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 8:57:03 AM EDT
[#27]
The worst AR I have owned is a Larue Stealth 18" on a Larue lower.  

Of course I have only owned Noveske and Larue.  And Noveske rules.
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 9:31:02 AM EDT
[#28]
I have 2 Olympic Arms guns, two Rock River guns, (one a match rifle), and a custom varmit rifle with RRA lower and DPMS upper. None of them are bad but the Olympics are the ones that have minor issues. One Oly is from 1998 when I bought the Oly reciever through a dealer and bought the Oly post ban 20" A2 kit direct. The latch pin holes in the upper and lower don't line up perfectly, making it a biatch to tap the pin in and out. Also, both lowers are a little tight on some used USGI mags the drop free from the Rock River lower guns. They all function fine with no significant play between upper and lower.

HTH
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 10:07:23 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
The worst AR I have owned is a Larue Stealth 18" on a Larue lower.  

Of course I have only owned Noveske and Larue.  And Noveske rules.

Link Posted: 11/17/2008 10:25:55 AM EDT
[#30]
Strangely enough, I bought a plinker pluss from oly in my younger, more naive years and it shot perfectly, well perfect for the price. Then this big heap, the 0a93 would just double feed constantly.
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 10:28:27 AM EDT
[#31]
My very first ever AR.

Pre-oly SGW stop sign milled billet lower. The thing looked like it had been milled out in someones garage with a fucking cordless power drill.

The thing was a flaming hunk of crap. The chamber was drilled oversized so it closed on a field guage. (new barrel even), the lower walls were milled so thick that the hammer spring legs couldn't rest in the trigger pin groves and the pins walked out constantly.  It always fired, but only extracted about 10% of the time.

Replacing every goddamn part on that rifle is where I got my initial education in building ARs.

I've built every single one since and got rid of that piece of shit as soon as I had built myself a good rifle on a Bushy lower.

Never looked back.
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 10:51:46 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

i've got a LMT 10.5" upper w/ LMT M16 BCG that has never been right. it was *really* overgassed from day 1 (squirt of gas in your eye every shot WITHOUT a suppressor), so i used it very little. 3 years down the road, i put some silicone on the CH and started using it more. i've only got about 2500-3K on it, and it started short-cycling for no reason i can find. replaced gas rings, checked key and bolts, cleaned and lubed, tried different buffers, tried different carriers, tried whole new lowers, changed gas tube...

still not running right. i'm going to pull the FSB this week. that's the last thing left.

I was having similar problems and Quib told me to check between the key and carrier and possibly stone the key flat to make sure it seals flat.  I was amazed at how unflat/rough the area was and there was a distinct path of carbon.
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 11:21:14 AM EDT
[#33]
Unfortunately, my worst was my first before I knew anything.

Local "custom" builder built it for me.  A great guy (veteran of Ia Drang) that I like, but I have learned the hard way over the years to not take anything to him that requires more than basic gunsmithing skills.

He built me a "custom" flat top 16" HBAR.  This means I got a DPMS parts gun on his custom-marked DPMS receiver.  It was topped with an Aimpoint COMP M and some elementary BUIS from that time.  Also had the "custom" trigger job.  About $1,200 for the set-up.

It worked well for about 500 rounds then started having ejection issues.  The gas key shot loose a couple of times, and was subsequently restaked by him.   Finally, I started having extraction/ejection/short stroking issues over the course of time. Then the gun started doubling, due to the "custom" trigger job.  He decided to open up the gas port and did something to the FCG at the time.  Still having issues, so I send it to Fulton Armory.  Clint says the gun is now overgassed and FUBAR.  He's also not happy with the FCG mofifications.  I buy a new ban upper from Fulton ($450) so I can get a running gun, and he guts the lower.

I sell the old upper to a buddy for $125, so he can use it for parts.  In hindsight, I probably could have dropped another BCG into the original upper, swapped out the FCG, and it may have run prior to opening up the gas port.  There was a bad combination of something out-of-spec that the builder could not figure out, and I didn't have the knowledge to trouble-shoot.

So, I put about $1,700 into a DPMS/Fulton gun with a COMP M in the long run.   The rifle runs great since Fulton took care of me, and the old COMP M is still hanging in there, even though I sent it to Aimpoint for some warranty work this year.
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 1:01:39 PM EDT
[#34]
My 2nd Oly:

It was basically a C7 from pre-AWB89 - everything was A2-style except for the A1 upper - and it was a tack driver even though the trigger wasn't that great. At least it was nowhere near as good as my M1A's trigger was. But it wasn't bad enough to make me get it worked on. I paid $800 for it in 2000 or so, and ended up having to sell it about 3 or 4 years later, along with my pre-ban M1A, because I desperately needed cash. That was probably the lowest point of my life so far, and I still haven't managed to get another M14-type rifle.
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 1:26:10 PM EDT
[#35]
As weird as it is...my only bad one was a KAC. It had some FTE issues from the get go.  Replaced the bolt and it seemed to straighten up, but it was ban era gun and about the time I replaced the bolt, the ban lifted...so I sold it.
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 1:36:48 PM EDT
[#36]

I've been lucky.  I've had BRD for two years.  I have two uppers and three lowers. The lowers I built myself and have been trouble free.

The uppers have also been trouble free. They were purchased as complete uppers, but I've done enough mix and match to qualify them as assembled from parts.

When BRD hit, I bought a membership here and spent months reading and not posting so I could avoid Oly/Vulcan/Hesse and some of the other "popular" brands.

I'll keep buying AR's until I find a bad one.
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 1:42:02 PM EDT
[#37]
LMT
Colt
Bushmaster
CMMG

All the above are great. I own one of each but 2 Bushmasters.

Oly & RRA =   I sold both due to all kinds of issues. The Oly just felt like junk to the touch it was so bad.
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 1:48:45 PM EDT
[#38]
Only the one I got rid of
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 2:00:18 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
None - all mine are decent at the least and primo at the best.  Better rifles than I am a shooter.

Forgetting about that out of spec RRA lower?
Glad they fixed it, but that completely turned me off to any RRA products, save their NM triggers.
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 2:03:16 PM EDT
[#40]
I had an Old cast EA rifle I purchased during the Ban. It was my first ar and would FTFeed  no matter what I did about 40% of the Time. I tried mags uppers ect.. I ended up trading a guy in a ban state for it...I made Him aware of the problems. Hopefully he made out all right with it.
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 4:22:54 PM EDT
[#41]
I have some good ones but out of the bunch the Bushmaster is my least favorite.
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 4:34:40 PM EDT
[#42]
My worst one was back in the 80's. It was my first build, on a PWA receiver. I wish I had that receiver now. Anyway, the gun was built with a Nesard kit, & I never could get it to feed more than 2 consecutive rounds. If anyone remembers the old Nesard kits You will know what I was up against. That one got traded off at a gun show.
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 4:36:54 PM EDT
[#43]
never had one I've regretted
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 7:21:04 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I haven't been there.

+1

i research 1st....
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 11:15:56 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I haven't been there.

+1

i research 1st....

3 people named Colts and 1 named an LMT as their worst, if they researched before buying they would have found these to be among the most highly regarded.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 11:33:47 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I haven't been there.

+1

i research 1st....

3 people named Colts and 1 named an LMT as their worst, if they researched before buying they would have found these to be among the most highly regarded.

If the worst they had experience with was a Colt or LMT then wouldn't that lead one to believe that they received the occasional lemon put out by these fine companies? Just because they are the best doesn't mean those 4 killers didn't receive a pos that got out unnoticed.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 11:37:09 AM EDT
[#47]
A used Colt upper that had been bubbasmithed, along with an Eagle Arms lower.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 11:42:04 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I haven't been there.

+1

i research 1st....

If the worst they had experience with was a Colt or LMT then wouldn't that lead one to believe that they received the occasional lemon put out by these fine companies? Just because they are the best doesn't mean those 4 killers didn't receive a pos that got out unnoticed.

That's what I'm saying. Buying the best doesn't mean you won't get a lemon. Or, if I'd done the research and not bought my 2nd Oly (a stopsign SGW) because of what I found out, I would have missed out on a sweet-shooting rifle. I'd be willing to bet that for every person who named a brand as "the worst I've owned" in this thread, there are 10, or 50, or 100 who own that brand and have never had a problem.

Link Posted: 11/19/2008 12:26:24 PM EDT
[#49]
Interesting.  Own or owned Oly, RRA, and Superior/J & T.  All have worked well for me.  Been around Colt, DPMS, Bushmaster and they all worked as well.

I must be doing something wrong.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 12:56:24 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Interesting.  Own or owned Oly, RRA, and Superior/J & T.  All have worked well for me.  Been around Colt, DPMS, Bushmaster and they all worked as well.

I must be doing something wrong.

Nah. It just means you got what you ordered. Some folks don't unfortunately. Guns are machined by man & other machines which means things are bound come off of the line screwed up from time to time.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top