Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/16/2008 7:26:40 PM EDT
So, I was a little supprised, since the chrome the bore and chamber on these guns. But after a days worth of shooting in 32 degree weather with heavy snowing, I went to clean the gun and after swabing out the bore/chamber with a few patches, I noticed spots inside the chamber, looked to be black and dark red. I took the AR chamber brush and scrubbed on it for a while, they seemed to go away after a few tries. But, I thought the chroming existed to stop this issue, if infact the spots I was seeing were actually corroison. What do you all think?
Link Posted: 11/16/2008 7:34:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Hit it will a good bit of hoppes no.9 and scrub at it with some steel wool if you have to, just to make sure it's not corrosion...
Link Posted: 11/16/2008 7:38:54 PM EDT
[#2]
what ammo were you shooting?
Link Posted: 11/16/2008 7:49:07 PM EDT
[#3]
How long between cleaning and shooting?  How many rounds?  I doubt it's pitted.
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 2:45:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 3:20:38 AM EDT
[#5]
is it a rifle or a carbine? I dont think stag chrome lines the rifles they make.  I could be wrong. my friend had a stag A4 come from the factory with the chamber corroded. the 1st round would not come out of the chamber and after we got it out we saw why. I have had some bad luck with stag for some reason
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 3:35:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Well, as far as ammo, I shot 197 rds of Ultramax remanufactured 55gr, 10 rds of wolf 55gr, and 15 rds of Federal XM193. Everything seemed to go bang just fine. I cleaned the gun about 2 hours after shooting, and the gun does have a chrome lined chamber, I verified that before I purchased it. The lubercant I use is spray can CLP, with some CLP drip stuff when I don't have the can handy. However, the gun was pretty coated with percipitation from shooting and from the case that I left open all day .

As far as cleaning the chamber, this is the first time this gun has been out, but I normally clean the chamber every time I go shooting. I usually don't worry about oiling the bore/chamber during storage, b/c it is chrome-lined so I thought that there wasn't a need for it. Also, this gun is a carbine, the rifles don't come with chrome-lining.
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 3:58:19 AM EDT
[#7]
It was the Wolf you cleaned out.

The shell does not expand as well as a brass shell allowing more carbon blow back into the chamber.

This will appear as corrosion when in fact it is just carbon. Get a good chamber brush and with a little elbow grease and your favorite cleaner it will come right out.

As somebody who shoot Wolf all the time, my chambers look like they are 1000 years old after a day at the range. But once I get 'em clean they look brand new.

Don't sweat it, just remember to clean well after shooting Wolf ammo and you will never have a problem.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 6:34:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
It was the Wolf you cleaned out.

The shell does not expand as well as a brass shell allowing more carbon blow back into the chamber.

This will appear as corrosion when in fact it is just carbon. Get a good chamber brush and with a little elbow grease and your favorite cleaner it will come right out.

As somebody who shoot Wolf all the time, my chambers look like they are 1000 years old after a day at the range. But once I get 'em clean they look brand new.

Don't sweat it, just remember to clean well after shooting Wolf ammo and you will never have a problem.

Well, just out of curiousty, I pulled the gun out tonight, to see if the bore had any of the stuff come back (I had cleaned the bore/chamber very well previously).

I only use CLP in my guns, and I noticed that there seemed to be black gunk built up inside the chamber, it came out with a few swabs. I could only assume its the result of the CLP doing its work over the last few days. The chamber seems to be spotless now (I scrubbed it with a chamber brush as well), except for the area where the case starts to narrow. It is very hard to see with a maglight, but it seems that there is a small ring around the chamber of reddish stuff in this spot. Also, when I got done scrubbing the chamber, the CLP I used seemed to have a reddish (almost like rust color) tint (maybe from the new brass brush bristles breaking in?).

This seems odd that 10 rds of wolf would do this...

BTW, I'm using the spray CLP, it seems to smell different then the drip CLP. Is there any difference, and if there is, is one bad to use?

Also, I appreciate the responses to the inital question. I am kind of picky, and I want to make sure that in time of need I won't have an issue with my only real means of armed self-defense (the Stag 15)

Thanks
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 6:51:29 PM EDT
[#9]
bump
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 7:06:53 PM EDT
[#10]
bump. any ideas
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 7:12:01 PM EDT
[#11]
It's from the wolf ammo

ETA: and if the spray is break-free clp, it is thicker and different color then the mil bottle stuff.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 7:29:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top