Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/18/2008 5:08:22 AM EDT
I came over from giving advise on the 1911 forum to needing basic advise on
black rifles. I am getting ready to order a RR A4 5.56. Any good?

1. What make an AR an M4 vs. A4 - barrel only? Could you simply swap out uppers making one into the other?

2.What are the pros / cons of RR"s  standard or Hbar vs. M4 barrell
other than weight and heat disapation? Accuracy?

3. Chrome lined? (I have a growing paranoia if one wears out a chrome moly he won't be able to replace it with any barrel pretty soon.)

4. I plan on ordering it w/ a Quadrail. Is it free float?

Does anyone make an optic with an upside down v or chevron other than Trig. ACOG?

Thanks in advance

Link Posted: 10/18/2008 6:16:46 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

1. What make an AR an M4 vs. A4 - barrel only? Could you simply swap out uppers making one into the other?

3. Chrome lined? (I have a growing paranoia if one wears out a chrome moly he won't be able to replace it with any barrel pretty soon.)

Does anyone make an optic with an upside down v or chevron other than Trig. ACOG?

Thanks in advance

1) M4 is the military term for the 14.5" Carbine version of the M16.  A4 is Rock Rivers term for a "Flat Top Carbine" or a carbine that lacks a standard A2 carry handle and sight.  But yes, if you had an A2 upper and an A4 upper, you can swap them freely.

2) HBAR vs. M4 light weight is a hotly contested.  HBAR's were orginally designed for full auto barrel to keep the barrel from melting in rapid fire.  Not something the average civilian really needs.  Some people make the argument that the extra weight keeps the barrel more on target for follow up shots.  Personally, I just like the feel of the extra weight.  M4 light weights are just that.  Really no difference in accuracy that I've seen.  Unless you have Full Auto, it comes down to whether you want to carry the extra weight around.

3) Chrome lined is definitely an option box you want to check.  It promotes the longest chamber life and barrel life.  Don't worry about what people say about it "limiting your accuracy," that rifle will be far more accurate than you can shoot with it.

4) If it says "free float quad rail" than it is a free float quad rail.  If not then I seriously doubt it.  To be honest, with a few tools and a little time putting on your own free float rail is pretty strait forward.  Since your new to the game, I'd say go ahead and buy the option if it's available though.

5) Not sure of any optics with that recticle, other than Trijicon.
Link Posted: 10/18/2008 6:28:21 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks in advance

1) M4 is the military term for the 14.5" Carbine version of the M16.  A4 is Rock Rivers term for a "Flat Top Carbine" or a carbine that lacks a standard A2 carry handle and sight.  But yes, if you had an A2 upper and an A4 upper, you can swap them freely.

2) HBAR vs. M4 light weight is a hotly contested.  HBAR's were orginally designed for full auto barrel to keep the barrel from melting in rapid fire.  Not something the average civilian really needs.  Some people make the argument that the extra weight keeps the barrel more on target for follow up shots.  Personally, I just like the feel of the extra weight.  M4 light weights are just that.  Really no difference in accuracy that I've seen.  Unless you have Full Auto, it comes down to whether you want to carry the extra weight around.

3) Chrome lined is definitely an option box you want to check.  It promotes the longest chamber life and barrel life.  Don't worry about what people say about it "limiting your accuracy," that rifle will be far more accurate than you can shoot with it.

4) If it says "free float quad rail" than it is a free float quad rail.  If not then I seriously doubt it.  To be honest, with a few tools and a little time putting on your own free float rail is pretty strait forward.  Since your new to the game, I'd say go ahead and buy the option if it's available though.

5) Not sure of any optics with that recticle, other than Trijicon.

Everything covered above......I have a RRA HBAR and I'm very happy with it.  I find that it is very accurate and I too like the weight.  I had my 16 cut to a 14.5 by ADCO, but switching out uppers is easily done as well.

If you order from RRA, I believe the only free float options that they offer are the YHM handguard and the Daniel Defense handguard.  They do offer the ARMS, but I can't give too much insight on that one.  The Surefire they sell is not a free float it is a drop in replacement for the original plastic handguard.  There are a lot of free float options our there and you may want to explore some of those.  I have a LaRue free float and I'm very happy with it.  There are many threads giving positive reviews to the LaRue and Daniel Defense free floats as well as many of the drop in options.

BumpFireNHaveMoreFun covers the free float and makes a good point....it isn't very difficult to install your own free float.  The free float handguard will attach to the receiver and not just fit in front of the delta ring and behind the handguard cap.

My RRA is chrome lined and it was an option that I was interested in too.  I don't think you'll find too many threads arguing against the chrome lined barrel if my memory serves me correctly.

Hope this helps...good luck with the rifle.
Link Posted: 10/18/2008 7:10:07 AM EDT
[#3]
I ordered an Hbar midlength from Rock and while quality was superb, the extra barrel weight really wasn't necessary (since I wanted a fightin' carbine).  I do not recommend HBARs to anyone unless they are only going to be carrying their gun to the range.
Link Posted: 10/18/2008 7:54:22 AM EDT
[#4]
JC5611, you reminded me of a point I forgot to make.  You mentioned Larue...if you ask me, they look like the best free float guards going.  If you go to Larue Tactical's web stide and clikc on their AR Handguards link...at the bottom of the page they show an instalation video with Jim Stratten.  Very informative.  On down the road, I would like to "invest" in a Noveske midlength barrel and some type of flat top upper.  Then I wan't to mount that monster 13.2" Free Floater they have there...sorry didn't mean to hyjack your thread there catman.

Back on topic...I own a RRA 7" A4 pistol.  I like a lot.  And I hear very few bad things about RRA.  I think you'll be happy with your purchase if that's they way you go.
Link Posted: 10/18/2008 9:35:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks everyone for the info -
One last question (for now), is a 'free floated' quad rail worth the
extra $$ as far as noticable accuracy?
This is from a discriminating shooter that appreciates accurate equipment.
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 4:55:51 AM EDT
[#6]
We've got a RRA NM A4 here. Love the rifle. More accurate than the wife or myself. You won't be disappointed. Also have a RRA M4gery K.I.S.S carbine. Never a problem with either.
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 4:58:46 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Thanks everyone for the info -
One last question (for now), is a 'free floated' quad rail worth the
extra $$ as far as noticable accuracy?
This is from a discriminating shooter that appreciates accurate equipment.

I think most people would tell you yes on this...though, I'll say I have both and unless your shooting from a bench or a bipod, just about any decent AR will out shoot the shooter.  That said, if you like accurate equip, then get one!  Your probably a better shot than I am.
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 5:42:50 AM EDT
[#8]
since your question is fairly broad, do you mind if I suggest another maker?  I'm an Armalite fan....Check them out.  And no 4-8 week wait.  (see for example posts in the RRA forum)
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 8:19:23 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
since your question is fairly broad, do you mind if I suggest another maker?  I'm an Armalite fan....Check them out.  And no 4-8 week wait.  (see for example posts in the RRA forum)

I will do that FordGuy, thanks. Yeah, that 4 - 8 weeks wait sucks, turned my smile into a frown.

As far as the accuracy issue, yeah, it'll be shot offhand, offbench, offtruck window.
out of a deer blind snipering hogs at 200+ meters... the majority of shots will be off a formal or some kind of informal rest. As a kid here in Texas I had a 24" barreled Rem. 722 in .222. No buzzard or duck was safe within a quarter mile. Ive outgrown that but theres  nothing like an accurate rifle when you have to play God in a feral hog community. I got no real use for a semi-accurate noise maker, in other words, if I owned two Mini 14's I'd trade them both for one good AR.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top