Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/16/2008 7:56:39 PM EDT
Picture:

Does this look like a welding mark? The flash hider is suppose to be permanently attached as the barrel is 14.5 inches. Looks damn good, the finish is smooth. Almost too smooth. Has me a little paranoid lol.

Bushmaster brand barrel.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 7:57:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes, the may be one 180 degrees from that one.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 8:02:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Usually one is enough.

The two schools of thought are:

Clean up weld and refinish. Looks best yet almost too hard to see.

Leave fairly unfinished and help eliminate any doubt as to its legality.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 8:06:48 PM EDT
[#3]
One of mine is completely smooth but was not refinished over. If it had been there would be no visual way to tell. I have also had one by Noveske that had a blob for a weld.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 8:26:25 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Picture:

wmdsm.org/guns/bushmaster_m4/[email protected]

Does this look like a welding mark? The flash hider is suppose to be permanently attached as the barrel is 14.5 inches. Looks damn good, the finish is smooth. Almost too smooth. Has me a little paranoid lol.

Bushmaster brand barrel.

Nothing wrong with that! Typical Bushmaster weld.

I have one to prove it.

No reason to be paranoid.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 9:05:23 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Picture:

Bushmaster brand barrel.

I have one to prove it.

Which told you it was a Bushmaster. The URL address or that they are the few that still use peel washers.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 9:07:04 PM EDT
[#6]
I didn't know Bushmaster made any 1/7 twist barrels.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 9:17:14 PM EDT
[#7]
All Bushy 1/7.  The first three are all pined and welded and as you can see all are done a different way.

Link Posted: 10/16/2008 9:23:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Only one looks like a factory job.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 9:35:43 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Only one looks like a factory job.

From left to right. Pinned and welded top and bottom, high temp soldered, Pinned and welded one spot.  Only the middle was isn't factory and the pin is on the bottom- the flash makes it look like something is on the top.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 9:47:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Is that a lock washer on #3? I did my bro's like like that.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 9:48:16 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I didn't know Bushmaster made any 1/7 twist barrels.

Then you must live in a ice cave.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 10:52:34 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Is that a lock washer on #3? I did my bro's like like that.

Yes it is but it's also an older Phantom 5C with slots all around so it does not require indexing like the 5C2.
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 12:49:24 AM EDT
[#13]
It's really hard to see but after looking at the phantom flash hider with a LED flash light, I've noticed there is another one of those burn/weld marks 180 degrees from the one in the picture I posted.

Thanks guys :)
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 5:30:45 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Picture:
Does this look like a welding mark? The flash hider is suppose to be permanently attached as the barrel is 14.5 inches. Looks damn good, the finish is smooth. Almost too smooth.

Think I see the shadow of a pin there.
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 5:57:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Doesn't look like a weld at all. The bronze color indicates brazing with a brass rod. That spot won't take Parkerizing, which is why it still shows. You can cover it with Brownell's Aluma-hyde or bake-on paint in 'Dark Parkerizing'. A spot or fillet weld with steel rod would not have a bronze color, and it would have taken the phosphate finish. At least that's the way it looks to me.
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 8:28:08 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Picture:

Bushmaster brand barrel.

I have one to prove it.

+1 mine too
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top