BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/16/2008 8:34:08 AM EDT
Ok i was shopping around ebay and found this
cheap magnifier
it looks like the EOTech branded one, but im sure its a knock off seeing that its in china, has anyone had experience with this or something similar?
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 8:44:03 AM EDT
[#1]
I have the same thing, bought it off the EE for $65. Seller called it an Aimpont Clone. (It does say Aimpoint on the body) The mount sucked so I bought a Larue Lt-649 FTS mount. It has held up pretty good so far.

ETA: That is an Aimpoint magnifier copy not an EoTech.

Link Posted: 10/16/2008 10:46:51 AM EDT
[#2]
I've bought one as well... Since it's only a lens, it's not too bad.. no precision lost because what really make it is the genuine Eotech or Aimpoint in front of it !

But I still prefer my original TA01NSN ACOG
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 8:02:28 PM EDT
[#3]
What you should be paying for is the quality of the glass (lens) inside and how well it's put together.  If the lens falls out who will stand behind it?  Some things are worth the risk. JMO
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 9:25:42 PM EDT
[#4]
The LaRue Poboy is a good option if you are looking for a low cost magnifier with a great mount.  Only downside is the 2x or 2.5x magnification, I can't remember what power mine is.  The mount is of course great, the glass in the magnifier is clear.  Mine came with a little wear on the paint of the magnifier, but works great.  
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 9:42:24 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
The LaRue Poboy is a good option if you are looking for a low cost magnifier with a great mount.  Only downside is the 2x or 2.5x magnification, I can't remember what power mine is.  The mount is of course great, the glass in the magnifier is clear.  Mine came with a little wear on the paint of the magnifier, but works great.  

+1

If you're looking for a cheap optic and were at all considering a serious FTS mount for it the Po Boy is actually a screaming deal... It's not 65 bucks for the whole deal, but it's also not 65 bucks that you're sending to the chicoms for an airsoft accessory.

I love my Po Boy and a search will reveal that to be the general consensus regarding them I think... 2.5x magnification isn't the 3x of the clone or the 4x on one of the real deal FTS magnifiers that are available, but it does the trick. I can almost guarantee the po boy optic will outlast any ebayed china stuff as Hendsoldt is solid gear...

I'd consider it if you're willing to spend the coin on something a little more sturdy.

Not as tacticool looking as a knock off made by a chinese firm with no respect for U.S. patents though...

Link Posted: 10/16/2008 10:21:06 PM EDT
[#6]
I use a 4x clone and the only complaint I have is with the FTS mount it came with. I just couldn't justify 700 for just the magnifer. I DO have a real eotech in front and I think that is the part that matters the most.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 10:27:53 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I use a 4x clone and the only complaint I have is with the FTS mount it came with. I just couldn't justify 700 for just the magnifer. I DO have a real eotech in front and I think that is the part that matters the most.

+1

Or real aimpoint...

No personal experience with a clone, just heard that the build quality is iffy on some of them... If you're not kicking doors in for a living odds are that doesn't matter though, so... ignore my elitist earlier post and get whatever works for you that you can afford really...

ETA: poboy setup could still be cheaper though if you end up disliking the clone mount and buying another (as other posters have)... something to consider...
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 6:25:01 AM EDT
[#8]
i have been thinking about the poboy, but i really wanted a 4x. i think im gonna get a knock-off and then get the Larue mount
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top