Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/16/2008 5:30:14 AM EDT

I have been looking at the cmmg that AimSurplus has for $525.00.   Is that about the best I would do on quality versus price?  I also prefer one that is in stock and ready to ship.  Thanks.

Link Posted: 10/16/2008 5:39:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Go to bushmaster's websit and right now you can get a A3 Upper with no carry handle, has a front sight post, bolt and charging handle for $458 shipped. They are on sale for $440 and it is $18 shipping. My dad ordered one last night. You can get the A2 upper for $495 plus shipping. Hard to beat these prices from what I have saw. It is part of their fall clearance.  
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 5:58:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Bushy doesn't make mid-lengths (beyond me as to why).  I'd say, your right to look at CMMG, but you might shop around for an RRA as well.  I'm shooting from the hip, I haven't checked but you never know what you might find.  Also check the EE, lots of steals and deals there.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 6:02:01 AM EDT
[#3]
BCM - 16" middy 445  no BCG  but high quality
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 6:05:17 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

probably not the best quality vs price comparison, though. I don't think the BCM offers anything significantly better than the CMMG for an extra $75 or so.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 6:06:08 AM EDT
[#5]
The CMMG Middy from AIM is the highest quality complete one near that price.
The other reccomendation would be the BCM 16" Middy, and then add an LMT or BCM BCG

Either one of those, and you'd be golden.  AIM is great, and CMMG does make very high quality stuff, the biggest issue with them is usually wait time.  I'd still get the CMMG, as it does have an MPI tested bolt, properly staked carrier, M4 ramps, and 1:7CL, which RRA offers mostly as options.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 6:25:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for all the input guys.  Looks like I will order the CMMG from AIM.  Everytime I think I know what I want I do some more reading on here and I get confused:)  Bravo company would be nice, but they are at the top end of my price range and they are out of BCG's right now.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 7:40:58 AM EDT
[#7]
RRA, 16in SS bbl,  Mid length gas, BCG From Pete at Legal Transfers for $490 shipped.

7 week wait.

ETA: Dude is kind of an asshole over the phone, but you can't beat his prices.

ETA#2: I'm not knockin anybodys suggestions, but the CMMG bbl from aim is Chrommolly. I'm pretty for sure you can spend an extra $30 and get a SS bbl directly from CMMG.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 7:47:24 AM EDT
[#8]
The best complete mid-length for the money

Is Bravo Company's

Look up in the above header for Bravo Company and go to their uppers....

Look to the left and see the green column with the heading AR-15 Upper Receiver Groups, LMT,BCM (Bravo Company),
and Stag Arms....Click on this header

Scroll down to Mid Length....IN STOCK  $449.95

Then get yourself a Bolt Carrier Group,charging handle and handguards...

Go Now!

Will have Zero regrets
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 7:49:35 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

probably not the best quality vs price comparison, though. I don't think the BCM offers anything significantly better than the CMMG for an extra $75 or so.

Uh-huh.

Other than the length of the gas system, the BCM upper is mil-spec. That word gets thrown around a lot, but it really applies to BCM. There was a 2 year wait for BCM uppers because the proper mil-spec barrel extensions were not available. Paul does not let any BCM product leave his shop without it meeting his exact standards. That includes small parts that most people (including CMMG) don't even think about.

CMMG, to my knowledge, does not HPT/MP every barrel and bolt. They dremel feed ramps. If you have a problem, you may get a good response or you may get the mushroom treatment like me.

They make good stuff but they are not on par with BCM.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 7:51:00 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
RRA, 16in SS bbl,  Mid length gas, BCG From Pete at Legal Transfers for $490 shipped.

7 week wait.

ETA: Dude is kind of an asshole over the phone, but you can't beat his prices.

ETA#2: I'm not knockin anybodys suggestions, but the CMMG bbl from aim is Chrommolly. I'm pretty for sure you can spend an extra $30 and get a SS bbl directly from CMMG.

Chrome moly (not Chrommolly) chrome lined barrels last longer than stainless steel barrels.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 7:55:22 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Uh-huh.

Other than the length of the gas system, the BCM upper is mil-spec. That word gets thrown around a lot, but it really applies to BCM. There was a 2 year wait for BCM uppers because the proper mil-spec barrel extensions were not available. Paul does not let any BCM product leave his shop without it meeting his exact standards. That includes small parts that most people (including CMMG) don't even think about.

CMMG, to my knowledge, does not HPT/MP every barrel and bolt. They dremel feed ramps. If you have a problem, you may get a good response or you may get the mushroom treatment like me.

They make good stuff but they are not on par with BCM.

He's talking price versus quality. CMMG is high quality and will fit the bill of anything he's looking for. He will have no problems with CMMG. Is it worth the extra money to fix a problem that doesn't exist?

CMMG might not meet the most anal standards of all armchair commandos, but I have a feeling this guy isn't trusting his life to this rifle, or he wouldn't be concerned with price v quality. Like I said, I don't see the need to spend the extra $75. If you're doing a strict price v quality comparison, I think the CMMG is a better deal -- it gives you all of the reliability and quality that you'll need while costing less.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 7:55:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Bravo Company is at the upper end of my price range, but if they are that much better I can probably work it into my budget...the only problem is they don't have any BCGs in stock at the moment.  
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 7:58:00 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Bravo Company is at the upper end of my price range, but if they are that much better I can probably work it into my budget...the only problem is they don't have any BCGs in stock at the moment.  

you can get a BCG from anywhere. Remember that you also need to order handguards and a charging handle because their upper doesn't come with them.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 8:02:31 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

you can get a BCG from anywhere. Remember that you also need to order handguards and a charging handle because their upper doesn't come with them.

You CAN get a BCG from anywhere, but if someone is asking about quality parts that is a pretty poor answer.

Gambitt, you can buy an LMT standard M16 BCG for ~$130, it is one of the highest quality BCGs available. Stay away from the LMT enhanced BCGs, they are a waste of money.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 8:05:25 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You CAN get a BCG from anywhere, but if someone is asking about quality parts that is a pretty poor answer.

Gambitt, you can buy an LMT standard M16 BCG for ~$130, it is one of the highest quality BCGs available. Stay away from the LMT enhanced BCGs, they are a waste of money.

It's really not a poor answer. The guy can order an LMT or any other quality BCG from anywhere he wants. I didn't say "order any BCG you want, it doesn't matter," because that would be a poor answer. He doesn't have to order the BCG with the upper.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 8:08:39 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
It's really not a poor answer. The guy can order an LMT or any other quality BCG from anywhere he wants. I didn't say "order any BCG you want, it doesn't matter," because that would be a poor answer. He doesn't have to order the BCG with the upper.

Buying a BCG from anywhere?

Model 1?

DPMS?

The OP seemingly doesn't know what is good and what isn't, so telling him to buy from anywhere is poor advice.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 8:13:37 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Buying a BCG from anywhere?

Model 1?

DPMS?

The OP seemingly doesn't know what is good and what isn't, so telling him to buy from anywhere is poor advice.

You're right, the OP doesn't seem to fully know what's up, which is why I was trying to let him know that the BCG and upper don't have to be ordered from the same place at the same time, since he seems to think so. It still stands, where you order it from is not the same as what you order. He could just as easily go to ADCO, Rainier Arms, LaRue, or anywhere else to order a good BCG, it doesn't have to be Bravo.

But really, our bickering isn't helping. The OP has a couple of decisions he can make now regarding which upper he wants. At least he knows that BCGs being out of stock at Bravo shouldn't hold him back from ordering the BCM upper if he wants one.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 8:20:52 AM EDT
[#18]
I can see what does and doesn't come with the upper.  I figure the BCGs that Bravo Company stocks are good quality or they wouldn't have them.  I've been reading on here for a few weeks now so I am starting to get a feel for what is good, average and poor quality in the AR world.  The person I talked to via email from Bravo Company said they would have some more of the BC BCGs in a few days.  I might just wait.

Thanks for all the help.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top