Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/18/2008 3:16:01 AM EDT
POF states ; lowers are made from 7075 billet, other manufactures use forged lowers.

Which is better? stronger? Is the 7075 billet a forging?
Link Posted: 9/18/2008 4:58:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/18/2008 5:18:13 AM EDT
[#2]
what stickman said. If this is your first just get a forged lower. Save money for ammo.
Link Posted: 9/18/2008 8:26:47 AM EDT
[#3]
billet is "better"  but forging is 100% so the only advantage you have is being able to say you have one... plus they cost alot more.
Link Posted: 9/18/2008 8:55:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Get a forged and buy some ammo.
Link Posted: 9/18/2008 12:38:33 PM EDT
[#5]
If you're running a billet upper then yeah a billet lower would be nice. Otherwise, get a forged lower and save some money.
Link Posted: 9/18/2008 1:01:23 PM EDT
[#6]
who makes billet?

most I know is forged.

spikes is forged or billet?
Link Posted: 9/18/2008 1:12:21 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
who makes billet?

most I know is forged.

spikes is forged or billet?

Spike's are forged.

Billet lowers:

POF
Sun Devil
Tactical Innovations
SMOS (they make the LaRue Stealth lower)

I'm sure someone else can add to this list - these are the only companies that I can think of off the top of my head.
Link Posted: 9/18/2008 1:30:53 PM EDT
[#8]
I have both. and even though both types perform 100% as advertised, I find myself always staring lustfully at the billit.   So much so that when I decided to do a form 1, I chose the POF.
Link Posted: 2/26/2009 6:46:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Which is better metallurgicaly   a billet or forging, the lower is machined

from both, the billet cost more due to machine time, the forging is

shaped like a lower.
Link Posted: 2/26/2009 9:04:01 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Which is better metallurgicaly   a billet or forging, the lower is machined

from both, the billet cost more due to machine time, the forging is

shaped like a lower.

Neither, differences are larger from 7075 vs 6061 and those are too small to notice.  Theoretically you can add featurs and thickness to make a billet stronger but 7075 forged uppers dont break anyway.  The advantage for billet is a perfect machining and finish.  Its prettier and custom... that is all.

People will say grain structure thais and that for forged but then the forged is machined so the grain structure is cut anyway so its all a wash.  The thicker lower will be stronger to a degree that does not matter either way.
Link Posted: 2/26/2009 10:08:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I have both. and even though both types perform 100% as advertised, I find myself always staring lustfully at the billit.   So much so that when I decided to do a form 1, I chose the POF.

I love the way the POF looks. Solid aluminum or the billet both will work evenly the same. For what most people do just get the one that has the best track record and that you like the best....I know not lots of help. Sorry.......
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top