Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/7/2008 11:16:43 AM EDT
What are the pro's and cons of these 2 rifles. I am ready to buy and trying to decide between the 2 I have about 1400.00 to spend. I want it for plinking, maybe some hunting and an all around shtf rifle. I am not looking to build anything on my own the first time. I want something ready to go out of the box.
Link Posted: 9/7/2008 11:23:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/7/2008 11:41:27 AM EDT
[#2]
I have a Colt for general home defense / SHTF stuff...

I have a Bushmaster lower that I'm building into a .22 LR / plinker...

... take that for what it's worth!

- Clint

ETA: Get a Noveske
Link Posted: 9/7/2008 11:42:27 AM EDT
[#3]
I should just eat popcorn, but...

The Colt is less likely to be a lemon, and, for that reason alone, you have to pay more.  Bushmaster's are not likely to be lemons, but many I have seen need a little TLC before you go out and run them hard.  After a quick going over, like staking the gas key because they don't, it should be as GTG as any.

It's a cost vs. value thing.  Colt is expensive, but still a great value.  Bushmaster is not as expensive, but they use quality parts, and that makes them a decent value as well.  
Link Posted: 9/7/2008 11:45:19 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
After a quick going over, like staking the gas key because they don't, it should be as GTG as any.

Hmmm... I'm looking at a BM carrier that is staked just fine, so we can't really generalize regarding that point. At least SOME of them are staked as they should be.

To the OP I think you'll be happy either way.
Link Posted: 9/7/2008 12:54:25 PM EDT
[#5]
This is a good reference.

Link Posted: 9/7/2008 12:58:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Colt has a better bolt and properly staked carrier.  Colt has a milspec buffer tube so you have more options for replacement stocks.  Colt uses a 1/7 twist barrel so it can stabilize heavier rounds.  If you have $1400 to spend just get the Colt 6920 and be done with it.  You will be happy that you will never have to second guess your purchase.
Link Posted: 9/7/2008 1:11:08 PM EDT
[#7]
If I had the cash, I'd buy the Colt. At the same time, my Bushmaster runs fine.
Who is Rob?
Link Posted: 9/7/2008 2:45:49 PM EDT
[#8]
I've got 1 Bushmaster  14.5 carbine and a complete Bushmaster 16" upper on top of a Stag lower.   Never have had problem with either weapon.   Put 1500 rounds thru both before cleaning, no issues.    I've ran a 1000 rounds thru both in one shooting session. From first shot to last both were flawless.    I love both of them.    

If i had 1400 to spend on a new AR, I would buy a Colt. For no other reason than just to see what the Koolaid tastes like.  
Link Posted: 9/7/2008 2:51:23 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
After a quick going over, like staking the gas key because they don't, it should be as GTG as any.

Hmmm... I'm looking at a BM carrier that is staked just fine, so we can't really generalize regarding that point. At least SOME of them are staked as they should be.

Does it say MP on the bolt?
For a variety of reasons, a Colt is one of the only FACTORY rifles I would buy.
You can build a rifle that equals a Colt, but you cannot buy one.
Just my two cents.
Link Posted: 9/7/2008 2:54:45 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Does it say MP on the bolt?
For a variety of reasons, a Colt is one of the only FACTORY rifles I would buy.
You can build a rifle that equals a Colt, but you cannot buy one.
Just my two cents.
No they are not marked MP (Magnetic Particule Inspected)
Link Posted: 9/7/2008 4:39:38 PM EDT
[#11]
You can do what I did Colt 20" A2 upper, Bushmaster lower.
Link Posted: 9/7/2008 4:48:33 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
You can do what I did Colt 20" A2 upper, Bushmaster lower.

You'd be better off buying the complete Colt.  With your bushmaster lower you are missing out on the milspec buffer tube with staked castle nut, and the Colt LPK/trigger.  If you are going to buy a brand new complete gun just get the Colt or LMT.
Link Posted: 9/7/2008 4:51:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Since you already have the money get the Colt. Don't get me wrong Bushy has a great rifle and you would be satisfied with it, but the Colt is a great out of the box rifle. If you were on a budget I would go with the Bushy.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top