Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/1/2008 7:56:59 PM EDT
Hello everyone,

I'm new to the forums and AR's but looking forward to getting to know both. hatI dont wanna spend a crazy amount of $$$ but i dont wanna throw away money on something that isnt going to service me well.

Does anyone here have any pointers for me. What should i look for in the rifle before purchase? Is a Bushmaster a good rifle?  What can i expect as a beginner to the AR??

Thanks to all in advance,

5FM
Link Posted: 9/1/2008 8:19:22 PM EDT
[#1]
One of my older Bushmasters has around 40,000 rounds through it.  No problems at all with the rifle.   All the major brands are good to go in my opinion.  
Link Posted: 9/1/2008 8:28:58 PM EDT
[#2]
40k on the same barrel?what type of barrel does it have?
Link Posted: 9/1/2008 8:33:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Personally, I would get a brand new DoubleStar for $750 before I would get a used Bushmaster for $800-$900.

www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/753/products_id/411535048

I've seen these at gunshows, and really like the DoubleStar's a lot.
Link Posted: 9/1/2008 8:34:58 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
One of my older Bushmasters has around 40,000 rounds through it.  No problems at all with the rifle.   All the major brands are good to go in my opinion.  

Not bashing Bushmaster- I have 5 of their barrels. I've been shooting and working on these things for 20 years and I've never seen any M16/m4/AR15 barrel go more than 25K and that's with Colt, FN, or LMT.  
Link Posted: 9/1/2008 8:35:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/1/2008 8:36:56 PM EDT
[#6]
To the original poster.  I would get a Stag for a first AR nowadays.  Should be less than $900 and they have a lifetime warranty.
Link Posted: 9/1/2008 8:38:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Nothing wrong with a bushmaster but that price is a bit high for a used one

You are looking at the right configuration IMO if you are just going to have 1 rifle
16" flat top   I personally prefer the patrolman carbines lighter barrel to the Hbar ones but that is personal opinion

Some may bitch it is 1x9 twist but I am betting you are not going to be shooting alot of ammo heavier than 70gr so it is a non issue for 90% of the shooters out there
Link Posted: 9/1/2008 8:38:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Yes it is a good rifle. @ $900 I would prefer it t be new. Make sure it has BMP on the front part of the barrel to confirm it is most likely a complete bushie set up. Look at the collapsible stock it should have the same logo that is on the receiver. If that passes then $900 out the door would be cool that is including the detach carry handle, sling and a mag.
Link Posted: 9/1/2008 8:40:19 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not bashing Bushmaster- I have 5 of their barrels. I've been shooting and working on these things for 20 years and I've never seen any M16/m4/AR15 barrel go more than 25K and that's with Colt, FN, or LMT.  

Maybe the bushie barrel is better than those.
Link Posted: 9/2/2008 5:24:10 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Mine shoots fine and YES I do have approximately 40,000 rounds through it.    I call bs on your bs.  Here is another one for you, I also have an old Colt SP1 that still shoots good too.  It has about the same number of rounds through it.  
Link Posted: 9/2/2008 5:41:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/2/2008 5:41:51 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/2/2008 1:02:33 PM EDT
[#13]
It's a fine rifle. Happy shooting and practice..practice..practice.
Link Posted: 9/2/2008 1:16:27 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
JMHO but 900.00 sounds a bit high unless it has some expensive upgrade.

that rifle used here would be 550-600 tops.
+1I picked up a brand new RRA from the gunshow for 920. out the door!! Had everything I wanted including chrome lined barrel!! I would look around and spend the same amount on a brand new rifle. Or build it yourself.....   JUST DONT 5 FINGER ANY OF IT!!!!
Link Posted: 9/2/2008 1:57:53 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes it is a little hard to believe.
Link Posted: 9/2/2008 2:57:17 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
JMHO but 900.00 sounds a bit high unless it has some expensive upgrade.

that rifle used here would be 550-600 tops.

At your prices they would last 0.2 seconds.
Link Posted: 9/2/2008 7:29:42 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes it is a little hard to believe.

Whats is so hard about it.  A guy can run through a 1000 rounds easy in a very short period of time.  Ive shot 1000 rounds in two days of shooting many times over.  Do that about 40 times and there you have it, 40,000 rounds.  These guns are made to shoot lots of rounds.  My dept has quite a few bushmaster m-16 rifles with alot more than 40,000 rounds through them and they still keep ticking.  I guess for some that is a high number of rounds.  Im not talking accuracy, im talking durability here folks.  Im not trying to say im some kind of expert because im not.  Im just saying most AR15 rifles can handle some serious punishment.  
Link Posted: 9/2/2008 7:35:56 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Mine shoots fine and YES I do have approximately 40,000 rounds through it.    I call bs on your bs.  Here is another one for you, I also have an old Colt SP1 that still shoots good too.  It has about the same number of rounds through it.  

can you bs a bs? is that legal?

Loyd! Loyd! you can't triple stamp a double stamp!
Link Posted: 9/2/2008 7:39:09 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

can you bs a bs? is that legal?

Loyd! Loyd! you can't triple stamp a double stamp!

LOL  
Link Posted: 9/2/2008 8:01:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Welcome to the site.

The Bushmaster is a fine carbine. That price is a bit steep though as others have said. Negotiate for a better price or just find another one somewhere. You should be able to save a couple hundred off that price for a used one - depending on how used. You'll need the extra pennies for ammo .

Have fun and welcome to the BRD , shoot straight and be safe.

-JC
Link Posted: 9/2/2008 8:09:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Thank you all for the advice.

I am not positive on the "used" part it MAY be new i havn't been able to get ahold of the guy to confirm.  I looked into the Doublestar but from what i can tell the carry handle isnt detachable and from what i have seen and experianced i dont like the handle mounted optics. However, I do like the pricetag have
Sound like a good buy?

But again, i appreciate the swift replies and helpful opinions.
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 3:37:03 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 3:53:10 AM EDT
[#23]
5finger, welcome.

My 1st rifle after a long absence from longarms was a BM XM-15ES.  About 4 years ago it was only $800.

Bushmaster is a good platform.  Go with the newer one for the $830 price.

Check the equipment exchange here, might find a good deal.

There is a lot of info here, check the stickies for good tips on what to look for and how to care for your new Homeland Defense Weapon.

PS, there is no such thing as a simple question here.  You're liable to get more info then you bargined for.

Good Luck.
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 6:31:21 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

I am not positive on the "used" part it MAY be new i havn't been able to get ahold of the guy to confirm.  I looked into the Doublestar but from what i can tell the carry handle isnt detachable and from what i have seen and experianced i dont like the handle mounted optics. However, I do like the pricetag

Hmm..the picture definitely shows a removable carry handle, but you might be right.  However, they also have one with NO carry handle for $699 (clicky)....  

Link Posted: 9/3/2008 6:48:22 PM EDT
[#25]
height=8
Quoted:
5finger, welcome.

My 1st rifle after a long absence from longarms was a BM XM-15ES.  About 4 years ago it was only $800.

Bushmaster is a good platform.  Go with the newer one for the $830 price.

Check the equipment exchange here, might find a good deal.

There is a lot of info here, check the stickies for good tips on what to look for and how to care for your new Homeland Defense Weapon.

PS, there is no such thing as a simple question here.  You're liable to get more info then you bargined for.

Good Luck.

appreciate the pointers. yeh i been reading the stickies tryin to get edumicated
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 7:53:49 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

I am not positive on the "used" part it MAY be new i havn't been able to get ahold of the guy to confirm.  I looked into the Doublestar but from what i can tell the carry handle isnt detachable and from what i have seen and experianced i dont like the handle mounted optics. However, I do like the pricetag

I have found an alternative NEW chrome lined barrel Bushmaster 16" flat top for $838 delivered also includes a permanently installed Bushmaster izzy flash suppressor and is shipped in a hard plastic, lockable storage case complete with black web sling, 30 round magazine, operating and safety instruction manual and one year warranty.

Sound like a good buy?
But again, i appreciate the swift replies and helpful opinions.

I think that's a better price on the Bushy than $900 for a flattop used.  I paid $899 for a new bushmaster, M4 , chrome lined barrel, izzy brake permanently attached, flattop upper with detachable carry handle.  Was a good gun.  Took a little while to sell it in like new condition in the EE for $750 shipped a few months ago.  (I only owned it for a few months, put less than 1k rounds through it, looked like new)  The new owner probably had 775 or 800 in it with transfer, and hasn't had any issues.  So, $800 would be my ceiling out the door - as I mentioned it took a little while to sell.  I sold it so I could put together a custom M4 style upper, with free float tube on a lower I built.  I wound up building mutlipe rifles though - one is a WOA upper I bought used for $850 shipped, with troy free float, a suppressor collar that I don't remember the name of but was high end.  I sold the suppressor collar off, covered the cost of my lower and a new A2 flashhider, so I just had to buy a parts kit for the lower and stock along with rear BUIS - end result a very accurate, M4 style rifle, I've got about $1075 in the gun, it's a lot more than the $900 bushmaster I had.
More recently, I bought an anvil arms lower, a Delton 16 inch midlenght 1/9 chrome lined upper with YHM free float, CTR stock, YHM flip gas block standard lower parts, $65 dollar YHM rear sight, for $750  in the kit, $120 for the lower, at $935 total, I think it's a better gun by far than a stock Bushy.  I've got about$25 dollars in tools to assemble the lower, plus a vice I already owned.
Take the plunge and put your own gun together -it's more rewarding and you are likley to be happier with the results.  

I'm an HR manager by trade, only mildly mechanically inclined, and cursed with a short attention span and limited patience.  If I can successfully assemble an AR lower, anyone can!
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 5:38:11 PM EDT
[#27]
The Area that you live in also has a factor on price ,
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 5:45:15 PM EDT
[#28]
According to the internet experts, you should buy the Bushie and throw it into the nearest lake, to prevent the scrofulous thing from contaminating the world one second longer.

According to the practical shooters, buy that Bushie, learn how to shoot it, and enjoy!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top