Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/22/2008 9:17:56 AM EDT
I spent the past few days getting answers on performance questions regarding various 2 stage triggers, but never got an answer for how the trigger feels/works.

I understand that there is two distinct stages to a 2 stage trigger pull - BUT, after I fire 1 round will the trigger reset by only releasing the trigger to the top of the second stage, or do you have to reset the entire trigger length, forcing you to go through both stages of pull for each follow up shot?

I want a trigger like my factory glocks have, you go through a first and second stage on the first shot, and only reset to the top of the 2nd stage for each follow up shot, providing for faster, more accurate follow up shot placement.

Thanks ahead for the info.  I just can't make a purchase until I get all this cleared up.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 5:47:26 PM EDT
[#1]
"Milking the Trigger" by litely pulling it just to the firing point and letting it reset by itself with pulling it back fully is a sure -fire way to get a double burst and the attention of somebody you don't want to know.

The first stage is usually the "heaviest and longest". You pull up to the point where you feel a "catch". You apply a little more pressure and the trigger releases the hammer. IMHO, you still need to complete the pull beyond the 2nd stage. Just a slight "flick" to fire without a complete pull-through begs a double fire. I think the lighter triggers are more prone to "bump fires" than heavier ones.....so it's likely the lighter ones require a better trigger discipline to work reliably in semi-auto mode.  
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 5:59:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Well I was thinking that I would fire that way when I intentionally want to put 3 to 5 rounds into someone, and fast - if the time should ever come.  
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 6:25:03 PM EDT
[#3]
i learned along time ago, if yer gonna do something bad, dont tell anyone. I myself like my 2 stage for the long target. I bought a set of JP springs to lighten the load and love it. I pull completely through and let off to repeat... but i am no pro. ohh... and if the time arises and somebody comes into my house, i aint gonna try to bump the friggin trigger.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 6:33:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Im an LEO, so I would be doing it because the situation called for it.  And I'm not talking about bumping the trigger, I'm talking about reseting the trigger to the top of the 2nd stage as opposed to completely releasing the trigger.

My pistol is a glock which is a DAO and has two distinct stages.  When firing fast follow up shots, you would never completely reset the trigger.  That would be slow and less accurate.  I know that much from several years of training and live fire experience.  

I just don't know how a 2 stage AR trigger feels in comparison.  I'm afraid that I will find the 2 stage ar triggers to be completely different in feeling than a DAO trigger.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 6:37:34 PM EDT
[#5]
I have several triggers of different types in AR's but do not have a Glock.  I haven't fired a Glock in ages so don't remember the trigger.

Here is how a decent 2 stage AR trigger feels.  very smooth and easy to pass through the 1st stage, almost as if you are just pulling the slack out of a light spring. then it comes to a stop.  The stop is the 2nd stage. As you pull more firmly the 2nd stage doesn't move like the first, it just breaks and the gun fires.  The total travel distance for both stages is about the same as a regular AR trigger, Which I expect is a whole lot less then a Glock.  

A 2stage is no worry for fast action.  If pulling hard and fast you don't notice the stages, only when trying to make a well aimed shot do you feel the stages. The LMT is a good choice, no adjustments and a nice feel.  Bushmaster 2 stage sucks according to many owners of them.  Folks seem to like the RRA pretty well, I have an Armalite also but prefer the LMT.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 6:51:39 PM EDT
[#6]
I fail to see how a (properly tuned) 2 stage will double?

I have zero problems taking out the slack, letting the 2nd stage break,
letting the trigger reset to the 2ND stage and firing again.
2 shots, 2 trigger pulls.

No need to release fully to the 1st stage again.

I've thought about the issues involved "set-screwing out" the 1st stage,
but that is probably a bad idea...
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 7:20:27 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Well I was thinking that I would fire that way when I intentionally want to put 3 to 5 rounds into someone, and fast - if the time should ever come.  

Dude, zombies don't require a 3-5 rnd burst--just one, well-aimed shot to the head.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top