Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/21/2008 11:23:42 PM EDT
I purchased my first ar15 a few months ago, and I'm finally getting money to upgrade some parts on it. I want to put a cheap sight, laser and a led flashlight, and a bayonet if I have room. The gun is a dpms and has a removable carry handle, and a light weight barrel. What kind of mounts/lights/lasers/sights would you recommend? Just as a reminder, I am bearly old enough to legaly own this gun, and money is tight. thanks guys.

sorry if the pic doesn't work.

link
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 11:28:46 PM EDT
[#1]
don't really know how to post a pic
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 11:43:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Bayonet and laser sight are useless. If you have a 16 inch barel bayonet wont fit anyways IIRC, and unless its an infrared laser for night vision shooting and target designation its useless as well. Remember the stresses that items that go on a firearm are under.

My first suggestion would be to make sure that you have a bunch of mags and ammo, and a back up iron sight. After that I would get a white light if you want a good light, pentagon (cheaper but still good) or surefire (the tits is all i can say about it). From surefire I would get a m951 and then get an aftermarket cree or seoul led head. Or a surefire scout light (very lightweight perfect throw for indoor use) The used lights can be picked up here on the EE for cheap. If your looking for a good magnified optic for a good price (also on the EE) get an Eotech 512 (AA battery model) do NOT get the N.Battery model (its a piece of crap) I would also recommend getting a good sling, that mounts on the sides of the rifle, either a two point (vcas) or single point (asp gear sector)

First learn to shoot with the iron sights though, then upgrade.\

Shop on the EE to get what you need.

ETA, just saw that you have a carry handle on there for now., i would just get a good white light and mount. If your wanting to go cheap on the light you could also get a surefire g2led and mount (alot of people use these, I wouldnt but hey its your rifle and your life)

Just ask if stuff is good before you buy crap like CAA, UTG, Fobus, and other crappily made products.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 12:16:14 AM EDT
[#3]
well, are there any brands out there besides eotech that are not the best but decent? I'm only 18 and trying to get through college, and don't really need to spend that kind of money. I'm pretty good with the iron sights, been shooting for a while, but never got into scopes or sights. Can I find one under about $150?
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 1:35:38 AM EDT
[#4]

Here ya go.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 1:51:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Check out the C-More sights.  They aren't tacticool, but they work great.  I have one on my PS90.  They aren't that hard to sight in as some would think. Linky

$150-$200 bucks seems to be the going price on the Equipment Exchange
EE C-More
Another EE C-More

Why not get a Laser/Light combo?  If not, surefire flashlights are a best buy, Surefire.com
Streamlight Laser/Light Combo $130

Laser/Light Combo $175

Insight Laser/Light Combo $215
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 1:53:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Just watch the EE and wait for a good used aimpoint/eotech to show up.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 1:57:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Nice rifle.

If I were you I'd get a handguard rail and a Surefire G2 and mount it in a 1 inch scope ring (I'm sure you have one laying around somewhere).

It will be the cheapest solution for you.  Don't be afraid to drill holes in your handguard at 10 o'clock (or 2 o'clock if you're left handed).  

If you want to do an optic (which I wouldn't recommend until you could spend some money on a good EOTech or Aimpoint) I would ditch the carry handle and get an Aimpoint clone, such as this.  For $35 you'll have an electronic sight, but don't bet your life on it.

To me, the surefire and mount would be the best way to get started.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 4:31:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Ammo, Mags, Train......lather rinse repeat........

You may want a sling if you do not have one.  Right now you say money is tight, so spend it where it counts.  Mags are plentiful and cheap, stock up.  Ammo is never going to be any cheaper in the fore seeable future so get what you can while you can.  Learn to shoot the carbine, get some training THEN see what add ons will enhance your skills and needs.  A weapon without knowledge is like a flashlight without batteries......

If you have to have a light now, the G2 in a scope ring is actually a very good setup, you can even get a rail section for your existing handguards.  Get the LED version of the light, saves on batteries.  Check out BrightFlashlights.com, they have a package with everything you need.

Good luck
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 4:56:56 AM EDT
[#9]
I just bought a used Aimpoint off e-gay for $125. Deals are out there if you know what you are looking for. SPOT sight is decent from what I've read also.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 5:34:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Save your money and buy good stuff.  Those that buy cheap knockoffs usually end up regretting it.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 5:49:17 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Save your money and buy good stuff.  Those that buy cheap knockoffs usually end up regretting it.

+ a million.

OP - are you really that good with irons that you need an optic. Are you accurate out to 500yrds? can you hit the target when performing gun drills? Really in all seriousness don't buy a crap optic just to be tacticool, you'll hate your self later for it.

laser - do you have NVG's? - No = waste of money unless you get small one that can be used on a handgun - versatility.

Light - Surefire G2 + 1'' scope ring = about $40 and it works

For when you save enough money - the EE is your best bet for a good lightly used optic
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 6:23:44 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
well, are there any brands out there besides eotech that are not the best but decent? I'm only 18 and trying to get through college, and don't really need to spend that kind of money. I'm pretty good with the iron sights, been shooting for a while, but never got into scopes or sights. Can I find one under about $150?

Try finding a USED Aimpoint

There ARE FAKES OUTH THERE

Spend the money RIGHT the First time out

Skip the Eotech ther are alot of problems with this type optic
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 6:52:26 AM EDT
[#13]
I would suggest that you change out your stock.
I had the pardus stock on my DPMS and it got very wobbly so I changed it out for a magpul CTR

Also +1 to mags and ammo. aimsurplus has PMags for $14.20 with $.01 shipping.
you could get 7 mags for $100
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 11:46:34 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I purchased my first ar15 a few months ago, and I'm finally getting money to upgrade some parts on it. I want to put a cheap sight, laser and a led flashlight, and a bayonet if I have room. The gun is a dpms and has a removable carry handle, and a light weight barrel. What kind of mounts/lights/lasers/sights would you recommend? Just as a reminder, I am bearly old enough to legaly own this gun, and money is tight. thanks guys.

sorry if the pic doesn't work.

link

As the saying goes, "If you want to play then you have to pay" or something like that. Nothing wrong with wanting accessories but if you buy the cheap stuff then you're just wasting your money. Money that could go for the good stuff on a one time purchase if you are patient & know how to save money until you can afford good accessories. IMO college comes first & if you're a poor college student then the AR should not be on your list of priorities. If it is then save up your cash for good war gear at a later date.

Lasers are a good tool but you don't need one. You don't need a bayonet. Get by on the basics for now & save for anything else you may want for later.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 12:08:40 PM EDT
[#15]
I know it isn't as tacticool, but the first thing I'd swap out on that rifle is the bolt.  Get a Bravo Company shot-peened, MP bolt and keep the DPMS one for a spare.

Well spent $65.

- AG
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top