Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/21/2008 12:22:33 PM EDT
Hi,

I am upgrading the buffer spring in my 5.56 AR to a more robust spring along with the buffer.  There are no HD buffers for 9mm AR's (that I know of).

Can I also upgrade the buffer spring in my 9mm AR with the upgraded 5.56 buffer spring?

I know size wise it should work, but how about in reality?

Thanks for your help.

Link Posted: 7/21/2008 1:19:29 PM EDT
[#1]
The standard 9mm buffers are heavier than standard CAR buffers because the 9mm works on a blowback principle of retarding rearward motion of the bolt until chamber/barrel pressure is down.  If you get too heavy a buffer or spring then you may have function issues.

In the direct gas impingement system of a 5.56 the heavier buffer can increase reliability a bit in short gas system carbines because they also retard rearward motion and bolt unlocking until chamber pressure (much greater in a rifle cartridge) drops so that the extractor isn't trying to pull a fully expanded cartridge case out of the chamber while it is at peak pressure.

Generally with a 9mm there isn't a lot of reserve power there, and the spring/buffer combos are chosen to give teh best relaibility with the widest variety of ammo.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 1:20:00 PM EDT
[#2]
The part numbers for Colt's .223 and 9mm carbine buffer spring are the same.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top