Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/21/2008 7:17:49 AM EDT
A few months ago I posted and asked questions about the problems I was having with a new Rock River 20” barrel.  Since then I followed some of the advice giving here and have been trying to get the barrel to work.

The problem with the barrel was the Front Fire Support Base (FSB).  The hole for the gas tube was not drilled to the correct depth to allow alignment of the retainer pin holes to line up with the holes in the gas tube.  So, I filed off the end of the gas tube and got the gas tube pinned in place.  The next problem encountered with the FSB was the hole that holds the spring and retainer pin for the front sight was to small.  Or had burrs which would bind the pin not allowing it to move freely.  I took a drill bit and using my fingers removed the burrs which freed up the sight pin. And then when I tried to install the front sight.  The opening in the FSB was not large enough to allow the base of the front sight to be fully screwed into the base. I then used a small grinder wheel to remove just enough material on the FSB to allow the sight to clear the bottom of the base.  The next problem was that after I got the front sight installed the hole for the retainer pin and the hole for the front sight were drilled to far apart to keep the front sight taught and from moving.  At this point I called Roc River.  The customer service rep agreed that I should have not had these kind of problems.  But, said that once a FSB was married to a barrel that the FSB could not be changed.  And that because I had made the modifications to the FSB that Rock River would not do anything about the barrel.  Some of you will say that the first thing I should have done was call Rock River.  Well you are right and you can be sure that if I ever run into problems like this again in a build that is exactly what I am going to do.  But, you can also be assured that if this is the kind of quality you can expect from Rock River that I will never buy anything Rock River.  
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 7:20:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Its Front Sight Base (FSB)

Worst case, you can sell that on the EE to someone who is willing to chop it for an SBR.

I would shoot Steve over at ADCO an email and see if he can unfuck it for you.  He does good work.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 7:26:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Hate to hear about the problem. I do agree that is not good workmanship. I don't think that is normal for RRA. I hope that you got it working properly.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 8:09:51 AM EDT
[#3]
I am a little confused.  Did you just buy the barrell for RRA or did you buy a kit from them that came in pecies?  So if I am understanding you correctly the FSB is what is out of wack and not the barrell, correct?

Shuter
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 8:54:18 AM EDT
[#4]
I bought a complete barrel assemble and attached it to my upper.  And now I can put four or five rounds in the ten ring and the next one will go to the 5 ring at 3 o’clock or the 5 ring at 6 o’clock because the front sight is so loose.  I installed a scope on the AR until I can replace the barrel.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 9:41:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Any reason you don't want to swich to a Gas Block ?
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top