Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/21/2008 4:35:34 AM EDT
I recently had my first AR build done and was wondering about putting a sling on it.  The upper was made by Del-Ton and it's a 20" hbar with a 2 rail gas block and a DPMS solid float tube.  Now its my fault that I didn't ask if the float tube came with or without a front sling swivel (all their factory builds seems to have it so I assumed) but anyway, what, if any, issue would I have attaching a front sing swivel on the under barrel rail of the gas block?  Since I won't be slinging this up competition style there won't be any torque on the barrel while shooting so theorectically I should be fine right?

Thanks for the help fellas.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 5:55:00 AM EDT
[#1]
You can find about any sling rail mounting hardware at MI.
http://midwestindustriesinc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=80
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 2:46:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks rifleshooter, but my question was actually more in regards to the accuarcy problems I may encounter from using a barrel mounted sling.  Sorry if the original question was vaguely put.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 3:36:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Just drill and tap the tube for a swivel stud.  You may want to mount a bipod someday too....
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 4:07:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Is there enough material to put one on with worrying about it stripping out and looking like ass later??  If it is that easy than I will probably do it that way.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:36:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Should be thick enough- mine was,  but you can always put a nut on the backside (inside).
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 7:01:42 PM EDT
[#6]
sounds like a plan...thanks for the input guys
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 7:12:48 PM EDT
[#7]
The free float tubes aren't strong enough to just tap into, the stud will strip out, most likely at the worst time. If you put a backing plate on the inside, you'll be fine. I've found I like the sling on the left side of the rifle vs. the bottom. It hangs better on my back and tends to get caught up less when slinging and dismounting.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top