Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/20/2008 7:27:05 AM EDT
so, im starting my next Ar as soon as the LaRue lowers are released. and my questions are about triggers. now, in my current i have a basic LPK trigger. now, im looking at 2 stage, "hi-speed" triggers. what are the differences? and what exactly is a 2 stage trigger? basically, i want someting that has less pull and weight. any suggestions are appreciated. and i was looking at tha RRA LPK that came with a 2 stage.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 8:39:15 AM EDT
[#1]
A two stage trigger has a take up first stage where, if it's a good one, you feel a distinct stop at the threshhold of the second stage. From there a nanohair of movement will fire the gun. While my first aftermarket triggers were single stage, I've become a convert to two stage FCGs. Personally I believe there's a cognitive component to the advantage of a two stage. While a good single stage such as a Timney will fire with just a tiny bit of movement, the take up of a two stage somehow seems to let me better "set" myself for the pull.

Perhaps someone else can express it more eloquently.

RRA's two stage is probably the most popular and, I believe, the least costly. Perhaps its popularity accounts for the fact that I see more gripes about it than I do any other. Nevertheless, many people like 'em and it is an improvement over the stock FCG.

The best is the Geissele SSA non-adjustable, but there's a few months of wait time to get one; it costs $145 from ADCO. It is, IMHO, better than its higher priced ($279) sibling, the Geissele High Speed which is also a fantastic trigger. In the SSA's price range another good one is the LMT two stage.

ETA - If you need to fire a round quickly, you'll never notice the difference between a single stage and a good two stage.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 8:53:34 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
A two stage trigger has a take up first stage where, if it's a good one, you feel a distinct stop at the threshhold of the second stage. From there a nanohair of movement will fire the gun. While my first aftermarket triggers were single stage, I've become a convert to two stage FCGs. Personally I believe there's a cognitive component to the advantage of a two stage. While a good single stage such as a Timney will fire with just a tiny bit of movement, the take up of a two stage somehow seems to let me better "set" myself for the pull.

RRA's two stage is probably the most popular and, I believe, the least costly. Perhaps its popularity accounts for the fact that I see more gripes about it than I do any other. Nevertheless, many people like 'em and it is an improvement over the stock FCG.

The best is the Geissele SSA non-adjustable, but there's a few months of wait time to get one; it costs $145 from ADCO. It is, IMHO, better than its higher priced ($279) sibling, the Geissele High Speed which is also a fantastic trigger. In the SSA's price range another good one is the LMT two stage.

ETA - If you need to fire a round quickly, you'll never notice the difference between a single stage and a good two stage.
that helps A LOT. one thing i was curious about was if i had to fire quickly. and i tihnk i am gonna go with the RRA 2-stage LPK. Rainier sells them for $180. im gonna wait to get the lower receiver first.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 10:38:17 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

that helps A LOT. one thing i was curious about was if i had to fire quickly. and i tihnk i am gonna go with the RRA 2-stage LPK. Rainier sells them for $180. im gonna wait to get the lower receiver first.

Is that price correct?  Last one I purchased & installed for a friend was near $100 less.  (It was a year+ ago though)

I've personally had the JP adjustable & the adjustable Bushmaster.  I've also shot a friend's w/ a Jewell installed & my uncle's AR10 w/ the Armalite.  

The JP & Bushmaster were nice once adjusted.  IIRC, the JP adjustment needed tweaking every so often.  The Bushmaster was decent but I felt it was lacking.  Ultimately both of these were scrapped because, while I never had a FTF, the primer strikes sounded/seemed light.  My ARs are primarily defensive weapons and if I use NATO ammo w/ a hard primer, I want reliability.

The Jewell trigger was amazing but, my acquintance said it was a pain to get set-up.  It was so light and the Colt Elite he was running it was so heavy, it was the first time I fired a set-up where you could watch the holes getting punched in the paper. (He had a TASCO custom shop scope on it of all things and IIRC it was like 24 power)  He showed me the Jewell trigger and it looked rather fragile.

I didn't spend much time w/ the Armalite version but my uncle seemed mostly satisfied. I believe he was considering swapping it out for the RRA.

As far as the RRA goes, I like it.  Sure there's aftermarket triggers that can be tweaked to allow a better pull but, as far as a drop in modification- it's real nice IMO.  What I like most of all about the RRA is that the hammer strike does not seem to be weakened in order to achieve a substantially superior trigger pull.  

If I were going to go away from the standard Mil-spec trigger, I'd go w/ the RRA.  Especially if we're talking about a defensive weapon.  If it's a competition type gun, I'll leave the imput on those to the competitive paper punchers, of which, I am not one.

HTH

Sly
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 12:14:29 PM EDT
[#4]
yeah, heres the link

http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=395
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 1:05:43 PM EDT
[#5]
A 2-stage trigger is more of a benefit to match shooters where a set minimum trigger pull is dictated.  Like CMP Service Rifle.  They are not faster than the standard trigger, having more movement to reset.

Reducing the pull weight by reducing the hammer spring tension increases the lock time, the time between the trigger breaking and the hammer landing on the firing pin.

A good single stage like the JP with their lighter hammer cannot be beat for rapid shooting. It resets fast and has a short lock time.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 1:30:55 PM EDT
[#6]
link and price?
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 3:19:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Brownells, $140 ish.  The hammer is another $50 but you can use the stock hammer if unmodified in the sear area.  You can lighten the hammer with careful grinding.  Just do not touch the sear or disconnector area.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 3:34:00 PM EDT
[#8]
My opinion:
I came to my AR from a custom shop 1911 .45ACP.  It has a light trigger with essentially no creep and with a quick break.  The trigger that came in my AR lower drove me nuts.  I put in the Geissele High Speed and am very pleased.  You really have to have experience with other triggers and then use the Geissele to appreciate how good it is.

One caution.  It is a target trigger and may be too light for tactical.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 3:58:25 PM EDT
[#9]
i might just go with a 2-stage. cause this is for a new lower, and i like the LPK with the 2-stage. opposed to buying a regular LPK and then a high-speed trigger.  
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 4:27:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Another option to consider if you want an other than stock trigger is to get the triggerless LPK from ADCO for $41 and then get the trigger you want.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 4:45:43 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
so, im starting my next Ar as soon as the LaRue lowers are released. and my questions are about triggers. now, in my current i have a basic LPK trigger. now, im looking at 2 stage, "hi-speed" triggers. what are the differences? and what exactly is a 2 stage trigger? basically, i want someting that has less pull and weight. any suggestions are appreciated. and i was looking at tha RRA LPK that came with a 2 stage.

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=12&t=366464
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 5:22:56 PM EDT
[#12]
All of my ARs have match triggers. I have a 2-stage LMT, a 2-stage Bushmaster, a 2-stage RRA, and three single-stage Chip McCormicks (all 3 are post-recall).

Of the triggers I've used, I like my single stage CMC's best. It's set to 3 1/2 lbs and has a nice crisp break. The LMT is my favorite 2 stage, with the Bushmaster 2-stage close behind. I only bought the RRA because they make one that fits on the Colt lower with the block. It's better than the stock Colt trigger but not as sweet as the LMT or Bushmaster (both of which were installed and adjusted at the factory).
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 5:26:48 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
yeah, heres the link

www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=395

Gotcha, I missed where you were looking at the whole LPK.

Sly
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 5:39:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Go with the RRA 2-stage NM trigger.  It's damn good, and not too expensive.  I'm glad I went with one.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 5:44:01 PM EDT
[#15]
WELL SINCE WERE DROPPING NAMES, TRY LAN WORLD INC. RRA LPK AND 2 STAGE TRIGGER IS AROUND $140. GRAT GUY AND FAST SHIPPING.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 6:13:27 PM EDT
[#16]
The Rock River is a good trigger and a vast improvement from a stock trigger. For the money (less than a 100) you can’t go wrong. Just my opinion and best of luck on finding the right trigger.  
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top