Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/20/2008 7:11:58 AM EDT
When I took the Long Range Firing School at Perry a few years ago, I used a single-shot .300 Win Mag bolt rifle, but was amazed with the number of participants shooting .223 AR's.  
Researching the available literature at that time, Feamster (in his Black Magic book) suggested a growing interest in 7- and 7.7-twist barrels with 75-80 gr VLD's for 1000 yard competition but the "jury was still out".  
What is the current thinking toward barrel twists for long-range (1,000 yd) shooting on a conventionally-configured AR-15, and what bullet weights work best with those twists?
Links to reference articles and current books on the topic would also be appreciated.
Since the best pricing is still at Camp Perry's commercial row during High Power phase going on right NOW(Bushy, DPMS, and RRA, as well as others are all there) and I live relatively close to it, I'd like to drive down for the day with one of my match uppers (fitted with an 8-twist barrel) and swap out barrel assemblies.
Any recommendations will be humbly appreciated.
Hank

"All skill is in vain when an Angel pees in the touch hole of your musket."
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:20:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Krieger 1/7.7 is top quality these days.
Lilja, Douglas, Shilen, and Lothar Wather are also up there.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:43:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 8:17:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Krieger 1/7.75 for 80 JLKs
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 8:28:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top