Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/15/2008 1:36:50 PM EDT
I know this is/has been a heavy subject on here lately but I am ready to buy my first ar and want to know what to get.  I had the phone in my hand today and was about to call LMT and place the order.  But then I think again about the things people say about Noveskes barrels and I can't decide. $1600 for the LMT and $2100 N4 Light Recce Basic with VIS, its too close of a price to make the decision.

Help make up my mind!!
Link Posted: 7/15/2008 2:09:07 PM EDT
[#1]
I have several LMT MRPs, and love them!  Noveske makes great products as well It will fall on your personal preference.  I do like how the MRP is one piece of Alum. though.  LMT barrels are also top notch, so I would pick the one you think looks better.  

The reason I chose the MRP is because putting any barrel serves no purpose for me because I only buy top notch stuff, so I would not save by being able to put brand X barrel on mine.  Good luck its gona be tough.
Link Posted: 7/15/2008 5:36:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah good point the MRP is one pice and the VIS starts as a two pice correct?  I read your review on your new MRP, sounds like a great rifle. Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 7/15/2008 9:33:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/15/2008 9:50:34 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Both are good weapons, and both will serve you well.  I would go with the Noveske if it were my choice (and I have).   The barrel on the Noveske is the best of what available on the market.  

+1 While the LMT MRP is rugged and reliable not to mention the configuration options if expanding your caliber selection is on the horizon, I can't help but choose the Noveske because the barrel is just a work of art.

Plus, I like the fact the the VIS system opens up on the bottom. Allows me access to the barrel w/o having to remove it everytime.
Link Posted: 7/15/2008 10:02:56 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't have a Noveske so cannot comment there. I have a LMT MRP in CQB length, with a LMT Defender 2000 lower with their 2-stage match trigger and SOPMOD stock. I have a nice pre-ban Colt Match HBAR and several Bushmasters. It is by far, the nicest AR I own. It is well manfactured, tight tolerances, no rattles, etc. Only mods I made other than optics and a Harris bipod were the substitution of a Magpul trigger guard and Magpul MIAD grips.

I LIKE THE LMT. I think you will, too.  
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 8:16:59 PM EDT
[#6]
I've had the same thing rolling around in my head lately as well.  I'm gonna go the 10.5" route, and i know that either of them will be the balls, so deciding is really tough.  The wait time on the Noveske's right now is the biggest issue.  I guess there are some supply problems on their end with the vis uppers, so everything I've learned points at around a 10 week wait, maybe more.  Last time I was on their site, everything with a vis said temporarily unavailable.  I am a patient person, but then, I'd have to wait for the paperwork to clear the BATF.  With this in mind, I'm leaning towards having Wes at MSTN do a build for me with a Noveske barrel, vis, and switchblock.  I've spoken with him and he rules.  This route has been getting the most consideration lately.  Or I could wait on the 10.5 N4 that Sherri told me they are testing for a release relatively soon.  Then again, I've always had an interest in the LMT MRP setups, and there wouldn't really be the wait that would be involved with the other options.  I love everything about it, but all the talk about the Noveske barrels has got me wondering how the LMT barrels stand up against them. Any of the above will be sick, this I know.  Making this decision is a luxury problem, and maybe I'm over thinking it.  I just want to do it right the first time.  
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 8:25:14 PM EDT
[#7]
I can't compare the two but given those options I am going with the MRP mainly for the different caliber configurations. I plan on purchasing the 6.8 first in a standard barrel length and then when the SBR paperwork is done, purchasing the 10.5 in 5.56. While I will not be swapping barrels out on a regular basis or even shooting a ton of 6.8 I plan on having this gun for a very long time.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 9:16:11 AM EDT
[#8]
I have both, and you really can't go wrong with either one. Top tier stuff.

But...

I would go for the MRP, take the money you saved, and get an Eotech or another barrel or something.

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top