Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/7/2008 6:31:22 AM EDT
Has anyone ever used Brown Bear or Silver Bear .223 ammo in either hollow points or soft point?  If so, any feedback will be useful.  I can get a shit ton of brown bear and silver bear for about 200 per 1000.  I know its not accurate but this will just be for fun at the range.  
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 6:43:56 AM EDT
[#1]
More like brown boar.

I would get it at that price. Just be sure to scrub your chamber very well and you will be GTG. It is fun plinking ammo but.....
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 7:05:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Have you ever heard of anyone having any trouble with the lacquer coating in the chamber
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 7:19:27 AM EDT
[#3]
shoot a bunch of silver bear a few weeks ago it

ran fine through my dpms it did seem to kick

a lil harder then the wolf and remington i have been

shooting and i noticed when i got home and broke my

rifle down that with the silver bear it was way dirtier

then it has ever been after a trip to the range.
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 7:25:54 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Have you ever heard of anyone having any trouble with the lacquer coating in the chamber

That used to be my belief but was proven wrong on this site. This is discussed bi-monthly here. The laquer will not come off. A member here was said to have taken a spent round and hit it with a torch and was unable to wipe any off with a towel, as per ol_painless.
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 7:43:41 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
shoot a bunch of silver bear a few weeks ago it

ran fine through my dpms it did seem to kick

a lil harder then the wolf and remington i have been

shooting and i noticed when i got home and broke my

rifle down that with the silver bear it was way dirtier

then it has ever been after a trip to the range.

The stuff I shot was only 1 box of each. But I also was impressed at the recoil impulse.  I think it was stiffer than wolf.  It didn't really seem super inaccurate to me.  A good range round and if it was the last thing I had for SHTF or SD, I wouldn't NOT use it.
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 9:36:53 AM EDT
[#6]
I like silver bear alot. That and wolf black box are all I've been using lately. Never had a problem.
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 9:50:06 AM EDT
[#7]
where is said deal?
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 10:51:51 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
where is said deal?

Yea, what he said.
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 11:10:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Got a link??????  Pretty please???
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 11:22:54 AM EDT
[#10]
I just completed a Magpul Dynamics carbine class and shot about 1500rnds in two day. I used the silver bear 62gr from aimsurplus. I had two stuck cases in this two days. I was running a POF and never once lubed the weapon. I am not sure if i had lube in the chamber/colt if the stuck cases would have been prevented or not.  

Just to mention that two other people in the class had popped out primers from their AE XM193s that completely put their rifle out of action for a few minutes. So no ammo is perfect. I would not use steel case for SHTF or SD but for range or a carbine class i think its a waste to spend money on premium or more expensive ammo.  
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 12:46:31 PM EDT
[#11]
 Have shot many cases of Silver Bear in my Chrome lined Mod 1s - Only problem I had was hard primers, changed the hammer spring to a Wolf extra power one, problem solved.  Great plinking ammo.  Buy all you need & send me the rest!!
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 12:59:45 PM EDT
[#12]
I never had a problem with Brown Bear ammo, although it was only 20 rounds.

At that price I would say go for it, if you aren't happy with it I would be glad to take it off your hands.
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 1:26:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Sorry no online link.  This deal is through a firearms dealer that i go to all the time.  I by all my tactical rifles and handguns from him and he just started carry brown bear and silver bear.  This is a price he gave me.  If you are ever in  Greenwood, South Carolina check him out.  Price's Firearms.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top