Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/6/2008 7:00:48 PM EDT
Hi, new to the site; not new to guns. I used to own a Colt Sporter match H-bar and thought I knew a little about AR's til I came here. Well I recently got a new M&P15 and after kicking around optics options ended up ordering a ACOG TA31DOC.

To the point; I have a few questions about my new setup.

1. My AR has the tall, fixed front sight. Do I need to a riser mount for the ACOG?
2. I want QD mounts for the ACOG; are these available?
3. I'm thinking, since the eye-relief is short with this ACOG, that if I want to do a rear BUIS, I should get a Troy folding-type and mount it in front of the ACOG with a QD mount. How does this sound?
4. Before I invest in alot of ammo, what's the best type for my combination of M&P15 (16", 5.56 NATO chambered, 1-in-9 twist) and ACOG TA31DOC? I assume I should be looking at FMJ, 55gr? (The Trijicon site says the ACOG I'm getting is set up for 55gr.)

Sorry if any of these are dumb questions; your advice and comments are appreciated. Feel free to offer any other setup advice or suggestions. TIA.

Link Posted: 6/6/2008 7:05:43 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a TA31F on my M4 with the normal Trjicon mount. You can hardly see or notice the front sight. QD mounts are available from ARMS or Larue Tactical, Larue is the best. I'd think 62 gr. ammo will work just as good with the ACOG. That's what the military shoots, M855. Here is my setup, I use a Matech BUIS behind or rather under the ACOG. If you look at a lot of pics from Iraq a lot of the ACOG equipped guys don't have a BUIS at all. Here's my setup

Link Posted: 6/6/2008 8:26:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Good advice, thanks. I've checked into the Matech BUIS and that's what I'm going with; forget about the QD mount/front mounted BUIS.

Link Posted: 6/7/2008 7:34:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Wow! Things get buried here quick.

Still seeking advice.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top