Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/4/2008 7:54:31 PM EDT
I have a GSE (Gunsmoke enterprises) M-4 style rifle. I have a friend who insists that it is only a small modification needed to make it fully automatic but I think it is designed to be semi. Without getting too specific for anyone, can anyone settle our dispute? Second, how does this rifle compensate for a shorter barrel than a standard M-16 with regards to the gas traveling down the tube? Last, I was told it has a chrome lined barrel. What is the advantage of this? Can it be cleaned as normal?

Thank you,

Tim
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 8:06:04 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I have a GSE (Gunsmoke enterprises) M-4 style rifle. I have a friend who insists that it is only a small modification needed to make it fully automatic but I think it is designed to be semi.  Without getting too specific for anyone, can anyone settle our dispute?

Complete urban myth bullshit, I'm sure his response involves something about "filing the sear"

Second, how does this rifle compensate for a shorter barrel than a standard M-16 with regards to the gas traveling down the tube?

Question is not really clear/ valid question...  But bottom line, carbine has an overall shorter gas system, and it works fine.

Last, I was told it has a chrome lined barrel. What is the advantage of this? Can it be cleaned as normal?

Increases life (chrome harder than steel and resists corrosion).  Also eases cleaning (gunk doesn't stick as readily).  No special cleaning requirements.

Thank you,

Tim

Oh, btw... I officially label you the STEREOTYPICAL UBER-NEWB.

First post is about common myths and questions that have been answered thousands of times and are referenced in several tacked threads.

- AG
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 8:19:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Sorry for the newbie questions. I did read the tacked threads, and please note I did not ask about the crooked rear sight or the difference between 5.56 / .223. I did learn in a real hurry about pmags and how great they perform. This rifle has been really fun to shoot and modify. I will get pics and post them soon.

Tim
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 8:22:44 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Sorry for the newbie questions. I did read the tacked threads, and please note I did not ask about the crooked rear sight or the difference between 5.56 / .223. I did learn in a real hurry about pmags and how great they perform. This rifle has been really fun to shoot and modify. I will get pics and post them soon.

Tim

Welcome to the site!

You are limited to 30 days in your search and if you do not know how to phrase your question, you will become frustrated in your search or not find the correct information.

Your questions are pretty newbish and your friend is full of it.

AG is spot on with his answers, though.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 8:24:51 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Tim

I'm just giving you shit newb ... welcome aboard!
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 8:31:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Ammo prices alone are enough to tell your friend to STFU.

But seriously, tell him to shut the fVck up.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 8:41:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Maybe a broken disconector can do the FA effect but semi AR lowers are thicker around where the auto sear would go then a FA lower.So theres more to it than just a slight mod..second if you tinker around with that your asking for trouble..and its those thoughts of easy conversion that get the antis all up in arms over these types of weapons..

it cannot be easily converted and doing so can get you 25 years in club fed so your friends wrong.Ive heard the un knowledgeable say "remove the cam pin" for FA function....do that and youll have the rifle blow up in your face.

Its not the shorter barrel but shorter gas system and it doesnt compensate..carbines run hotter and harder than their 20" parents,I only way to compensate is to  go mid legnth gas system or heavier buffer+LMT enhanced carrier for easier operation in a carbine.

Carbines start extraction at peak chamber pressure where as on a 20" chamber pressure is zero on extraction..LMT carriers bleed off excess gas and chamber pressure by increasing dwell time or delaying the unlocking of the bolt a little longer than normal.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top