Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/4/2008 7:34:53 PM EDT
when i was a newb, i bought a AR kit with a non-chrome lined h-bar.  it seems to work just fine, until cases started to get stuck.  

I have since cleaned with a bore brush.  would a chrome lined barrel be less prone to problems like stuck cases?

i am thinking of putting a new CL barrel on the upper in the future, but i am not sure if it will really be worth the cost/hassle.  i am thinking parts compatability and how much better chrome lining is.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 8:24:42 PM EDT
[#1]
I always understood that non-chrome lined barrels had more of an accuracy edge than chrome lined barrels.  Chrome lined barrels will last longer and better resist lack of cleaning....
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 8:25:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Chrome lining slows wear and makes for easier cleaning as well as protecting against rust and corosion.Ive seen cases stuck in chromelined barrels as well...either way routine maintinence on any firearm will keep it going and functioning normaly.

If its a tight match chamber and your using military spec 5.56 that can be bad between over pressure from a tight chamber that has a shorter throat where as a 5.56 chamber is a bit more roomy to accomadate slight variances in 5.56.

Steel cased ammo like wolf doesnt fully expand to the chamber walls so you get more blowby leaving chambers dirtier and then switching to brass where you get maximum case expansion that with a dirty chamber can cause stuck cases as well.

I think chromelined is overall better especially for a rifle that will be expected to work in all types of weather hot,cold humid wet or otherwise.Unless shooting matches with match ammo or using precision telescopic sights your not gonna notice the slight accuracy advantage non lined may have over chromelined.

Ive seen accuracy from chromelined barrels that would make you not beleive it was a lined barrel.Noveske makes a hell of an acurate chromelined barrel.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 8:54:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Are you using different ammo now?
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 2:43:48 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Are you using different ammo now?

the first two stuck cases were WOLF ammo.  after a brass cased adcomm m855 round stuck, i knew there was a problem other than just shooting wolf.  i have cleaned the bore now with a brush, but haven't had it out to shoot since.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 2:47:31 PM EDT
[#5]
do you have a proper 556 chamber?
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 3:02:11 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
do you have a proper 556 chamber?

i think so, its a j&t kit.  
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 3:22:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Quit worrying, clean it, oil it, and shoot it.  As long as you maintain it properly (clean/wet) it'll be fine.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 3:30:57 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Quit worrying, clean it, oil it, and shoot it.  As long as you maintain it properly (clean/wet) it'll be fine.

+1

My old Dpms barrel is not chrome lined &
shoots better than some of my SS wilson barrels.

Chrome is a nice extra, but IMHO not really needed.

Squig
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 3:40:12 PM EDT
[#9]
If you shot wolf first then the brass that can cause stuck cases if the chamber was real dirty from the wolf before you started using brass.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 3:55:17 PM EDT
[#10]

I have since cleaned with a bore brush.

Look up chamber brush. There are alot of nooks and crannies that can only be proplerly cleaned with a chamber brush. Cleaning the bore is not cleaning the chamber.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 4:30:32 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I have since cleaned with a bore brush.

Look up chamber brush. There are alot of nooks and crannies that can only be proplerly cleaned with a chamber brush. Cleaning the bore is not cleaning the chamber.

ooops!  chamber brush and chamber is what i meant
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 4:58:38 PM EDT
[#12]
MY RRA Non-Chrome lined upper has shot a hair over 500rds without a single issue.  I have never used wolf.  I have shot cheap Monarch, black hills, Remingtom, in .223 and a couple of boxes of fedral 5.56.

I keep the barrel and the chamber clean though.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 5:03:47 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
MY RRA Non-Chrome lined upper has shot a hair over 500rds without a single issue.  I have never used wolf.  I have shot cheap Monarch, black hills, Remingtom, in .223 and a couple of boxes of fedral 5.56.

I keep the barrel and the chamber clean though.

My non chrome lined low dollar bargain bin rifle (>$600) has about 1000 rds through it so far, and its all been wolf.  Never fired anything else.  No issues of any kind, no FTF, no FTE, nothing.  Clean it, Lube it, Shoot it.

I'm happy about this since I have another 2K of wolf sitting in the safe.  Most affordable way to shoot these days.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top